Thailand road carnage continues: 12,000 dead this year so far

webfact

10 minutes ago, Jimjim1 said:

I agree with you completely but before anything on this matter is instigated they first have to ensure that the tester can drive properly, does not drive the wrong way along a road, does not undertake on the left at any time, and does not speak on the phone.

And what about testers taking tea money? You ain't gonna get testers that are all 100% honest. This is Thailand.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, WHansen said:

I spat my coffee out reading that

It is - What sort of test did you take in your home country?

the idea that a driving test is going to significantly impact of road safety in Thailand shows that you really don't understand the enormity of the problem that Thailand is facing.

"

What to Expect from Your Driving Test

When scheduling your driving test date, there are a few things you should keep in mind. First, you will need to arrive with a working vehicle that has both current registration and valid auto insurance. Make sure the headlights, taillights, brake lights, and turn signals are all functioning properly. There should be no cracks in the windshield, and all your mirrors should be clean and void of damage.

A driving test examiner will want to know you’re in complete control of the vehicle. You should know where everything is, from the gearshift, to the turn signal, to the emergency brake. As you move through each portion of the test, they’ll watch for signs that you are capable of handling each maneuver skillfully. This includes staying in your lane (not swerving), proper use of turn signals, checking blind spots, and smooth transitions from stop to start.

In addition, a driving instructor will be watching to ensure you obey posted speed limits, drive at a safe distance from other vehicles, and obey road signs and signals accurately.

Basic Driving Skills

In addition to presenting confidence behind the wheel, you will be tested on a few very specific driving skills, including:

·       Safe lane changes

·       Parallel parking

·       Making proper turns including a U-turn and a 3-point turn

·       Backing up

·       Obeying speed laws, road signs, and traffic signals

·       Proper use of turn signals and mirrors

Other Tips to Pass Your Test

While teen drivers are required to log a certain number of driving practice hours before they can apply for a drivers license, adults are not held to that same standard."

Edited by Thunglom

I know Thai people killed on the road and it was almost me several years ago.  It seems to be part of the culture here and talking/writing about would of/should of/could of’s isn’t going to change things.  Life or death on the road here “is what it is”.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chivas said:

Until Thailand introduces a "proper" driving test for 2 and 4 wheels (and introduces in addition punitive jail sentences for drink dring) the insane death toll with continue indefinatly

A test? LOL. The first they'll do when they pass the test is crack open a beer and speed past a school zone going 100/hour. The only thing that could bring Thai's to sanity on the road would be credible fear of public hanging for violating traffic laws.

• Haha 1

Here's a fun scene I witnessed last week while on the my bike. Moron racing at maximum speed down a small road where people let their dogs run wild outside. Hits the dog killing it instantly and gets lifted to the hospital where he may or may not die (who cares). 

Will this be a lesson to the dog owners, the drivers or the authorities? Of course not.

771856708_hitdog.thumb.JPG.a5cde426eb9804555c97bfccdfbc2036.JPG

• Like 1

Thailand, with a population of 67 million, has done a good job to date in keeping CORVID-19 deaths low. This begs the question of why nothing serious is ever done to tackle the annual road carnage, which gives Thailand the distinction of being in the top few of the worst countries in the world. Every accident is a tragedy but the biggest tragedy of all is that most of these could have been prevented with proper police control.

I don’t know where the buck stops in the Thai bureaucratic blame game but it should be obvious to even a blind man where it starts – with the traffic police, who are noted by their absence from the roads.

During six years of living in Chiang Mai, not once did I see a motor bike cop or police car stop anybody for anything. Their activities are confined to roadside checks for motorbike helmets and drivers’ licenses. While it is laudable, it does not require trained policemen to perform this function, it could be done by retired school teachers or librarians, and does nothing whatsoever to reduce road accidents.

For years, I have expressed my frustration, and fumed about Thailand not having proper road rules but to my surprise, when I did a test for a Thai Driver’s License, I discovered that sensible traffic regulations, similar to those in the West, are in place. The problem is that they are not enforced. I think a basic road rule that applies in nearly all developed countries, including Thailand, is that a vehicle, whether car or motorbike) cannot pass another vehicle that is travelling in the same lane. So, all those motorbikes and scooters that are passing cars on either side of them, and snaking in and out of traffic, are breaking the law and creating mayhem. This, and not drink driving or speeding, is the major cause of accidents. If the police were to crack down on just this one rule there is no doubt in my mind that traffic accidents would be reduced by well over 50%.

Any country in the world would have a traffic accident rate as dismal as Thailand’s if they did not have active police control, from the top down.

If senior Government officials are not capable of effectively managing their police force, or are just too lethargic, then they should be replaced, and if appropriate, face charges of Criminal Negligence.

anecdotes are a waste of time they distort reality - it is just confirmation bias.

firstly you are LESS likely to die in a private 4-wheeled vehicle in Thailand than you are in the USA

Until Thailand adopts the "safe System" - nothing will significantly change - it require the education of both the authorities and the general public - including foreigners.

The main pillars of the  Safe System can be defines as follows: - The 5 “E”s of road safety.

For over 3 decades Thailand has had various “Road Safety Action Plans” and has espoused the virtues of the 5 “E”s (it has to be said with little effect) ... but without them, Road Safety in Thailand is doomed.

1. Education

2. Enforcement

3. Engineering

4. Emergency

5. Evaluation.

without adoption of all 5 nothing will significantly change. in fact at present things are getting worse and more difficult to reverse.

Edited by Thunglom

4 minutes ago, Brian Hull said:

Any country in the world would have a traffic accident rate as dismal as Thailand’s if they did not have active police control, from the top down.

Not true. The Thai's are suicidal when given cars. Other people across the world don't need to be threatened to not drive like fools because they can understand simple actions and consequences. If the cops stopped enforcing road rules would you start speeding around blind curves while crossing the median? Of course not but I see Thai's (and hill tribe even more so) do this everyday when I'm in the mountains.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

absolutely - neither do the media or most of the people on this thread.

I could sort it in a flash but Thai Drivers wouldn't like it and the government would lose face ( and money ) ! 

• Like 1

A post with an offensive reference toward Thai people has been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

10 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

I could sort it in a flash but Thai Drivers wouldn't like it and the government would lose face ( and money ) ! 

I know how it has to be tackled - it wouldn't be "in a flash" - because there are some fundamental changes that cut deep into Thai politics, constitution and the police. The very concept of "drive drivers" with all its subtexts is a non-starter - it needs a completely different approach - the blame game was over from the 1960s.

Edited by Thunglom
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, digger70 said:

This is Never going to change unless the Man in Power decides to get off his butt and kick some Butts to enforce the Laws 24/7 on every Road/Street in the Whole country. No Pussyfooting about .It's High time to get serious.

That would be the obvious way to go, but you’re forgetting one thing: the Man in Power doesn’t care, not one tiny little bit. The police doesn’t care either, they’re much too busy doing other, more profitable, things or just sitting on their @sses doing nothing or getting <deleted>faced. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Farangus said:

I think that something else is meant here: Even the most loyal to the current government, Thais will vote against this government if there is stricter traffic control, stricter rules for issuing driver's licenses and stricter traffic police control on the roads (with real fines and  jail for drunk driving) ...

Your interpretation of what was meant is more feasible. 

It's hardly surprising, let's face it. The government actually believe that creating central reservations is safer for everybody; maybe there's some form of reverse logic in there somewhere, but I can't see it. Since everyone seems to be in such a hurry, travelling to the next possible U-turn spot doesn't make any sense, wastes time and petrol, so everyone now rides their motorcycles on the wrong side of the road. Those in cars, waiting for a space at the U-turn make the turn and are faced with motorcycles racing towards them in the opposite direction. This has now become the norm, and although you may think it's wrong (and would be considered against the law anywhere else) it's perfectly acceptable. Even the police do it. There are no rules, there is no Highway Code and there is certainly nothing here that resembles respect for other road users. Just make sure you're wearing a mask when you're riding. That's far more important.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with alot of caution, and always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law.

Always bear this in mind. You have to look out for yourself as nobody else cares. Very good advice.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

well the fact 80% are on motorbikes is an indication of poverty based deaths in my opinion, the poor are not voting for hiso generals are they ? least not the sane ones outside institutions !

Ooooh....well defended sir.

You justified your point perfectly. Although I think most of us got it first time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chivas said:

Until Thailand introduces a "proper" driving test for 2 and 4 wheels (and introduces in addition punitive jail sentences for drink dring) the insane death toll with continue indefinatly

Wait.  Watching a Soap Opera for an hour about being a nicer driver is not "proper"?   LOL

15 hours ago, Chivas said:

I went with a truck driver to give him directions for a container of furniture I bought in and during the terrifying trip he nearly ran over several motor cyclists, just was almost oblivious to them, and was only concerned with racing other trucks, talking on his cell phone, drinking red bull drinks and chain smoking, nothing has changed. 

8 hours ago, Thunglom said:

The Thai test is pretty extensive now - much more than anyone took in the States in the 60s 70s or 80s. Testing is only a small part of g=ral road safety. Most drivers learn from experience. If you look at the comment here you'll see thither "experience" most drivers have is VERY misleading. What most countries do is have public education programs and road safety engineering the try to stop idiots doing what they want to do. This works but it leaves drivers think ing they ae "great drivers" when in actually fact it is the dri=ing environment that is preventing them from being fools.

The Thai test may be extensive, but that does not mean much in my recent experience. We have to drive quite a lot in our small business. The load was falling on myself as the only licensed driver so I decided to get two staff  members fully licensed at the companies expense and during work time. I chose two 30-40 year old employees, one male and one female. 

Firstly I had to really hunt around to find a driving instructor in our area. I eventually tracked one down, but it was only one and this was in a relatively large province with well over a million inhabitants. I decided to get one employee at a time through the process and started with the woman. She is in my estimate hard working, intelligent, thoughtful, good at planning ahead, and a patient person not given to outbursts of emotion. The instructor took the female employee for I guess 4-5 lessons at the rate of a couple a week. She complained about the instructor, saying he was far too bossy and pedantic. Eventually she said she wanted to change and her friend had told her about another instructor linked to the drivers license test facility. She made some arrangements and I duly took her to the test facility and left her there in the morning. That afternoon she called to say she was finished and asked that I go pick her up. She was fully licensed and from memory 1000 baht lighter.  Of course it was much harder to get the male staff member to follow the plan after that. He just went to the test center under the wing of the 'instructor' there and in less than a day was licensed. 

During my extensive driving here I get to see a Highway Patrol car out on patrol occasionally. To relieve the monotony of the long drives I will sometimes tuck in behind them and see how good the driving is. My record was 8 offenses by the Highway Patrol driver in around 10 km including overtaking on a solid yellow line, jumping a green light, driving in a defined motorcycle lane, changing lane without indicating and eventually speeding in restricted speed zone built up area.  

My point is until international standards are met for the issuance of driving licenses and the training of those tasked with keeping the driving standards up, there is little hope of reaching high standards of road safety in Thailand. Both these matters are the responsibility of the government. 

Further the personal responsibility of drivers and motorcyclists for their own and other road users safety as mentioned by many already in this and the never-ending threads on road safety in Thailand that we have had over the years, is dire and needs to improve dramatically. One only has to look at the proportions of people on motorcycles not wearing helmets (which in our area is around 70%) to see that fellow road users have little regard for their own safety. From memory it was about 1992 that crash helmets were compulsory by Thai law, so the fact that after 30 years rates of helmet use are still so low shows that the road safety policies of the various governments we have had are not working. I dare say the same is probably true for DUI and seat-belt wearing in cars, they are just not so observable.  

18 hours ago, Kadilo said:

So much focus on something that predominately kills the very old

Any official numbers of "C" deaths? Wondering how that figure compares with the article's figures? At 73, recovered, there is the strong impression, that there does seem to be more panic [worldwide] than is warranted.  I only know one 85 year-old, family member that died from "C"...and he was plagued by multiple health issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1