Thai waiters/waitresses spreading Covid19.....

SunsetT

12 minutes ago, rwill said:

Is that any different from restaurants in other countries?

Yes. In the UK, you order your drinks which are brought to the table by the glass from the bar. Then later you order another if required which is also brought in a clean glass to the table. Hopefully hand washing/sanitising occurs more often then with no flitting from table to table. With wine by the bottle, waiter may pour the first then you pour own at the table, probable exception being a r s e h o l e   hi-sole  restaurants.

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

But they do reduce the probability of both catching and spreading the virus.

Yes, from the 0.29% (total active cases around the world) to what? 0.27% (at 95% protection as claimed by some vaccine manufacturers)?

As someone already mentioned above - wrap yourself in cotton and plastic bag and house under the bed. That'll give 100% protection from everything (sickness, accidents, bad marriage, crimes against you - you name it) 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Vaccinations do not prevent anyone from passing on the virus to others!  The probabilty of a symptomatic or non-symptomatic infected person infecting others is not reduced by virtue of being vaccinated.

Says who?

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2294250-how-much-less-likely-are-you-to-spread-covid-19-if-youre-vaccinated/

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

Totally irrelevant! If a waiter is vaccinated or not he can still transmit the virus by hand from the contaminated glass of an infected customer to the glass of another customer.

If a waiter is vaccinated, s/he is less likely to be infected, less likely to have a breakthrough infection, and will recover in a shorter period.

Less likely to be infected and infected for a shorter period = less likely to be infectious at any given time.

• Like 1

This was reported in the NY Times on December 11, 2021:

"Two doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine appeared to offer virtually no protection against symptomatic infection caused by Omicron several months after vaccination. But for those recipients, an additional Pfizer-BioNTech dose paid big dividends, boosting effectiveness against the variant to 71 percent"

The implications of this if true could be profound in the countries that administer AstraZeneca and specifically in Thailand's case close to 50% of the injections have been AZ.

Currently in the pipeline (phase II/III trials) are 2nd Gen vaccines, extensively reworked to address vaccine-resistant mutations in Europe and America with earliest availability in Q1 2023.

Edited by fjb 24
  • Thanks 1

Calm down everyone, calm down!

Thank you for all your replies even though many of which about the effectiveness of vaccines and if and how they prevent transmission is totally irrelevant to my observation.

Cheers now, Im off to the bar/restaurant to get the best table to perv over the waitresses as they flit from table to table....555.

• Like 1

Fearful people should simply avoid restaurants if the wait staff makes them feel uncomfortable.  And if they go to a restaurant by vehicle, they should factor in the dangers of driving on Thai roads where over 12,000 have died on the road and countless tens of thousands injured.  It's best to stay safely at home, masked.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 12/11/2021 at 2:01 PM, georgegeorgia said:

snip

you remind me of the guy in the gym yesterday,came over near me to use a machine and complained i had no mask on,<deleted> stop coming to the gym i told him if ya that paranoid

you cant think of anything else to say  .. like oh sorry  .. no you had to be a jerk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Calm down everyone, calm down!

Thank you for all your replies even though many of which about the effectiveness of vaccines and if and how they prevent transmission is totally irrelevant to my observation.

Cheers now, Im off to the bar/restaurant to get the best table to perv over the waitresses as they flit from table to table....555.

the effectiveness of vaccines and if and how they prevent transmission is totally irrelevant to my observation.

The effectiveness of vaccines and if and how they prevent transmission is totally relevant to my observation.

That you don’t understand the relevance does not negate the relevance.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

44 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

the effectiveness of vaccines and if and how they prevent transmission is totally irrelevant to my observation.

The effectiveness of vaccines and if and how they prevent transmission is totally relevant to my observation.

That you don’t understand the relevance does not negate the relevance.

So you seriously believe that a waiter who has been vaccinated is somehow less likely to carry the virus on the skin of his hand from an infected customer's contaminated glass or bottle  to another customer's than a waiter who has not been vaccinated?

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

So you seriously believe that a waiter who has been vaccinated is somehow less likely to carry the virus on the skin of his hand from an infected customer's contaminated glass or bottle  to another customer's than a waiter who has not been vaccinated?

A waiter who is vaccinated is less likely to be infected than a waiter who is not.

A waiter who is vaccinated but still gets infected will remain infected for a shorter time than a waiter who is not vaccinated.

Less likely to be infected and if infected will remain so for a shorter period.

You did do math at school?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

You have selectively cherry picked out a 1 in 10,000* chance of transmission to make your point ignoring the fact that transmission occurs through other sources. 

And while specific fomite transmission is not actually impacted by whether someone is vaccinated or not you completely omit the reality that the glass or bottle is less likely to be contaminated in the first place in a community of vaccinated people.

Now... IF we ignore the fact that fomite transmission is such a slim possibility and concentrate on that and that alone....  IF a waiter (vaccinated or not, it doesn’t matter), handles a contaminated glass or bottle, doesn’t wash his hands, takes another glass to another customer which ‘potentially’ transfers some virus on to that glass, then a customer drinks from that glass the customer, if vaccinated is still less likely to contract Covid-19 than a customer who is not vaccinated. 

Even in your scenario, vaccination still matters....

*according to the CDC - links already posted a couple of times earlier on in this thread. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

A waiter who is vaccinated is less likely to be infected than a waiter who is not.

A waiter who is vaccinated but still gets infected will remain infected for a shorter time than a waiter who is not vaccinated.

Less likely to be infected and if infected will remain so for a shorter period.

I dont care about the f e k k i n waiter or whether he becomes infected. The transmission of the virus from glass to glass does not require or involve 'infection' of the waiter! The virus can be passed on directly simply with his f e k k i n hand without he himself becoming infected! Dont you get that? His vaccination status is totally irrelevant!

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

I dont care about the f e k k i n waiter or whether he becomes infected. The transmission of the virus from glass to glass does not require or involve 'infection' of the waiter! The virus can be passed on directly simply with his f e k k i n hand without he himself becoming infected! Dont you get that? His vaccination status is totally irrelevant!

CDC advice on how minimal this risk is has already been posted.

The transmission path you need to worry about is airborne and the safe and effective means to reduce the chances of infection, serious illness, hospitalization and death is vaccination.

If the minor risk bothers you, don’t go to restaurants.

But if the risk of infection by any means bothers you, definitely get the vaccine.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

13 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I did math (a lot) at Perdue and come up with 75% of omicron infections are in fully vaccinated Danes so far. Todays report has same values. Its simple arithmetic and you should be able to comprehend.. That's only just a sample, similar scenarios are playing out everywhere now. SARS-CoV-2 is evolving into vaccine-resistant mutations in Europe and America. Get that thru your head and see it for what it is! 7 day covid death rates are higher in Thailand (62% vaccinated) compared to R-SA (26% vaccinated).

Denmark covid 19 Dec 10 report.pdf

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

You are concentrating on a minute facet of transmission... 

..... its like arguing that someone travelling down a mountain road in a car without brakes is more likely to crash because their tires are 2psi under-pressure.

Of course, in your ’singular facet of transmission’ the vaccination status of the waiter is not relevant, but when looking at the ‘bigger picture’ the whole argument is not relevant because transmission in the manner you describe is so rare the whole point is moot and you are arguing the minute details of something which is unlikely to happen in the first place. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You have selectively cherry picked out a 1 in 10,000* chance of transmission to make your point ignoring the fact that transmission occurs through other sources. 

And while specific fomite transmission is not actually impacted by whether someone is vaccinated or not you completely omit the reality that the glass or bottle is less likely to be contaminated in the first place in a community of vaccinated people.

Now... IF we ignore the fact that fomite transmission is such a slim possibility and concentrate on that and that alone....  IF a waiter (vaccinated or not, it doesn’t matter), handles a contaminated glass or bottle, doesn’t wash his hands, takes another glass to another customer which ‘potentially’ transfers some virus on to that glass, then a customer drinks from that glass the customer, if vaccinated is still less likely to contract Covid-19 than a customer who is not vaccinated. 

Even in your scenario, vaccination still matters....

*according to the CDC - links already posted a couple of times earlier on in this thread. 

I didnt 'cherry pick' anything! I simply posted something that occurred to me of the possibility, albeit probably slim, of transmission of the virus in a quite specific way in a very real Thai bar/restaurant scenario! Not sure I accept your 'cherry picked' CDC  1-10,000 chance of fomite transmission which would be a mean figure covering all situations. My 'cherry picked' point is that the way Thai waiting staff work 'flitting from table to table' in a potentially crowded bar/restaurant could significantly increase that chance of fomite transmission. That was the whole point of my thread and Ive learned a lot about fomite transmission.

Chomper Higgot please note..................

"IF a waiter (vaccinated or not, it doesn’t matter), handles a contaminated glass or bottle..."  THANK YOU!

38 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The transmission path you need to worry about is airborne

I already stated that. 

Thanks for the advice but Im double-vaxed, not worried, and not bothered, Im simply making an observation and sharing it.

Good night!

Edited by SunsetT

Touching is not a common form of transmission, as noted by other posters, but it's probably worth noting because it is possible.  

I suspect the viability of the virus starts dropping rather soon after it is out of a host-friendly environment.