What do you think is a fair beer price in a bar?

FruitPudding

In your opinion, what beer price is fair in a bar or pub here?  

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I honestly believe, most just push it as far as they can because it's totally unregulated.

I mean if they tried to serve a pint for 36 pounds in London, I think something would be done about that.

But the tourist market in Thailand is just a free-for-all.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

High? Think about what you think is high and then multiply it by a lot. 

The rent in many places in good locations is outrageous. 

They must be running a 100k (or two) through their till a day, easily, when tourism is in full swing especially. Even if the rent is 200k a month for a big place on Sukhumvit, it is easily paid for in a few days. 

I walked down Soi 4 last night. I had to go halfway down the soi to find a bar that still had seats with a street view available. Everyone was sitting shoulder-to-shoulder (paying 100 plus a bottle). The soi was crammed.

2 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Girls are expensive, mate.

Though there are some bars that give women discounted drinks prices, particular one just under Nana Station, 79 baht a drink for them (quite regularly). So, it could be good to take your squeeze in there. ???? Save ya some money.

I won't hold my breath for men to ever get that price though. I'll just cough up the 155 baht, lol.

Or perhaps I should start identifying as a woman (if PC culture comes here).

LOL. I think I'm well acquainted with the cost of them in LOS, and for sure had I stuck to renting I'd have been well ahead on the game.

BTW, I never bought more than one lady drink in a bar, and more usually none at all. I found that if I bought one lady drink, it kept all the others away, and usually the lady went dancing 30 seconds after her drink arrived, so I left it on the table and if any other "want one drink" tried to sit down I just pointed to the full drink- worked every time.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

No such thing as a 'fair' price for something that is optional.

Fair point.

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Bars set their prices on their rent, insurance, utilities, staffing costs.

And then they multiply it a few times over if they can get away with it.

1 hour ago, FruitPudding said:

I could be sitting drinking fine Belgian beer in a British town in a pub with the heating on in the dead of winter being served by a barman getting paid fair income (and I assume the owner still turns a profit).......for the same price as sitting drinking Thai beer in an open air bar in Thailand being served by unprofessional barkeep. I mean, in some bars here the draft is like flat rotten eggs; you have no choice but to drink bottles.

Like I said.

I think it's just local mentality with those involved in tourist areas. Like the taxi drivers who won't turn their meters on and try to negotiate double or triple the price. Scammers at heart.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

In street bar with no air con you pay less than a Go Go bar surroned by beautiful naked girls. There is no 'fair' price because the price is not determined by the drink only but numerous other variables.

No, you don't. What are you talking about? You just made that up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I happily pay more to avoid tedious, penny pinching, skinflints who are always, without fail joyless, tedious bores, downers and sad sacks.

Otherwise known as knuckle-draggers.

• Sad 1

When i first travelled to Thailand i was surprised to see the prices of local beer like Leo, Singha, Chang and Archa.

(I rate them in this order from best to worst. Chang, Singha, Archa and Leo)

They were expensive compared to local Tuborg and Carlsberg here in Denmark where you still  in 2021 can buy 30 Tuborg or Carlsberg for 92.5 danish kroner, which is the same as 16 baht pr 33 cl bottle.

So when i saw local thai beers were 3 x that price in supermarkets i was surprised and not in a good way ????

As for prices in a standard thai bar i would say 60-70 baht for a standard chang and 90-100 for a large Chang is ok.

Beers worldwide are often cheaper than in Thailand.

Going to tenerife next week, where a pint is 1 euro at the seafront bars.

(approx 38 bath) 

How come the retail price of local thai beers are so much higher in Thailand ,

compared to the prices for local beers in other countries?

Monopoly or tax?

• Like 1