AstraZeneca offers no protection against Omicron after 100 days

webfact

AstraZeneca offers no protection against Omicron after 100 days

screenshot_16057.jpg

By Cod Satrusayang

A new report from the United Kingdom this past weekend suggests that two doses of AstraZeneca shots offers no protection against the Omicron variant of the virus.

The UK said it will make booster shots available to all of its residents over 18 years of age as the Omicron variant of Covid-19 spreads rapidly within the country.

Boris Johnson, in a speech late Sunday, urged the British public to get jabbed again to help stem the rising tide of the new variant first described in South Africa.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/35749/astrazeneca-offers-no-protection-against-omicron-after-100-days/

ti.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

2 doses of AZ might not offer much (if any) protection against getting infected with Omicron, but it still offers protection against hospitalisation and death.

This is what they said on that:

"It is too early to measure protection against severe disease, but with earlier variants protection against hospitalisation & death has been largely preserved. All hoping this holds true"

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So how exactly will expats get access to these boosters after three months?????

I've been looking and have found no program yet for those of us that had 2 AZ jabs.

Best will be to each to perhaps consider going back to their native countries and get the boosters there as getting boosters in Thailand seems to be a hit and miss game...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So how exactly will expats get access to these boosters after three months?????

I've been looking and have found no program yet for those of us that had 2 AZ jabs.

Reserve a Moderna booster vaccination at a private hospital?

Or get them free at Bang Sue railway station and a few other places in Bangkok.

Edited by Chris.B

Jinting - I heard this from a Friend the other day :-

"I had my third jab at Central last Tuesday. I had my second, Astra, in August. My wife and I walked in around midday. I showed the certificate from my previous jabs and my passport at the registration desk. In the vaccination hall I was offered Astra or Pfizer, I chose Pfizer. A fairly simple and efficient process."

Have a look around - a Pfizer booster would be ideal after 2 x AZ. Good luck

50 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:
Jinting - I heard this from a Friend the other day :-

"I had my third jab at Central last Tuesday. I had my second, Astra, in August. My wife and I walked in around midday. I showed the certificate from my previous jabs and my passport at the registration desk. In the vaccination hall I was offered Astra or Pfizer, I chose Pfizer. A fairly simple and efficient process."

Have a look around - a Pfizer booster would be ideal after 2 x AZ. Good luck

Did they have TWO AZ jabs before?!?

Makes a big difference!

There has been a formal program for people that had Sino then AZ.

As yet I have seen no such program that includes people that had two AZ.

18 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

How has it been established that AZ will not be effective after 100 days against a variant that has been identified for much less than 100 days?

It appears that it has as far as the protection against getting imfected part of it.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

Reserve a Moderna booster vaccination at a private hospital?

Or get them free at Bang Sue railway station and a few other places in Bangkok.

I was looking before at a 6 month time frame. It seems Moderna is very scarce and when supplies appear they sell out instantly.

I want Pfizer anyway. As the government is now saying those with 2 AZ need a boost in 3 months not 6 they really need to back that up with formal national access.

Edited by Jingthing

47 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I was looking before at a 6 month time frame. It seems Moderna is very scarce and when supplies appear they sell out instantly.

I want Pfizer anyway. As the government is now saying those with 2 AZ need a boost in 3 months not 6 they really need to back that up with formal national access.

Moderna isn't being sold directly to the public, you have to join a waiting list.

Upcountry, in the private hospitals, there are many people selling their Moderna rights. ????

16 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Moderna isn't being sold directly to the public, you have to join a waiting list.

Upcountry, in the private hospitals, there are many people selling their Moderna rights. ????

It was being sold directly to the public with the limited stocks they had, Bumrungrad International Hospital Bangkok were selling it at 2 shots 3,300 or 1 shot at 1,650. For those that paid for it then decided they didn't need/want it they could not get a refund but they could transfer it to somebody else. I just paid one of those people the selling price for a 1 one shot dose, confirmed it with Bumrungrad and now have an appointment at a private clinic to receive it on the 22nd Dec here in Phuket as a booster shot for me.

27 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

It was being sold directly to the public with the limited stocks they had, Bumrungrad International Hospital Bangkok were selling it at 2 shots 3,300 or 1 shot at 1,650. For those that paid for it then decided they didn't need/want it they could not get a refund but they could transfer it to somebody else. 

Precisely, they paid a deposit for it and went on a waiting list. They didn't walk in, pay their money and get inoculated straight away. ????

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A new report from the United Kingdom this past weekend suggests that two doses of AstraZeneca shots offers no protection against the Omicron variant of the virus.

Another "suggests" post. Given the first sample was on 9th November ( according to a site found with google https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/02/where-did-omicron-covid-variant-come-from-and-where-is-it-circulating.html ) how can anyone state with certainty that it doesn't last past 100 days?

Seems like more fearmongering to me.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Did they have TWO AZ jabs before?!?

Makes a big difference!

There has been a formal program for people that had Sino then AZ.

As yet I have seen no such program that includes people that had two AZ.

I've been in country for just over 6 months, entered with 2 AZ vaccines administered in Australia and get an AZ booster tomorrow in Ratchaburi from the local hospital with my passport and my wife's house (blue) book

No charge

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

certainty

"The early observations for 2 doses of AstraZeneca are particularly likely to be unreliable ..." (Figure 7 comment, p.21)

Too soon to know with certainty.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/investigation-of-sars-cov-2-variants-of-concern-variant-risk-assessments

Edited by fjb 24

42 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

I've been in country for just over 6 months, entered with 2 AZ vaccines administered in Australia and get an AZ booster tomorrow in Ratchaburi from the local hospital with my passport and my wife's house (blue) book

No charge

More details please on how that was arranged.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

More details please on how that was arranged.

Went to the vaccination centre associated with the local hospital on Thursday 09 Dec and asked if I could get AZ booster. Was told to come back on the 14,15 or 16 Dec for a booster no appointment required

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ozfarang said:

Went to the vaccination centre associated with the local hospital on Thursday 09 Dec and asked if I could get AZ booster. Was told to come back on the 14,15 or 16 Dec for a booster no appointment required

Hmmm

I tried similar in prachuap i had 2 injections sinovaxc and AZ there

when enquired about a booster told cannot no have!

• Like 1