Int'l Travel is Broken - Thailand Pass experience (long)

10 hours ago, Marvest said:

If you are in public you must wear a mask - indoors or outdoors.  Compliant rates are very high.  I haven’t seen anyone not wearing a mask

First up thanks for detailed report.

Think couple statements bit of overstated. Especially in regards to masks after arrival.

True uniformly worn in streets etc.

Attached is pic Nov 27 Pattaya fireworks. Hardly mask in sight. 

Same when out restaurants/bars etc. 

Regards return flight, any onward flight will suffice.

Reading your post, I notice no mention of ties to Thailand. Surely you wouldn't come just for holiday.

Personally I wouldn't go through any of that process unless it was to see partner/family living in Thailand.

Screenshot_20211213-213704.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

" ...received QR code in 3 hours."

Thanks for your input!

My son reapplied three days ago and also got a quick approval.  But his flight was schedule for 4 days after he submitted the TP application.  I wondered if they are reviewing applications based on departure date.  I also read that the Thai immigration services completed a major system upgrade during the first week of December.  I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Great detailed report. Thanks. About masks, farangs not wearing masks will usually be asked to put one on and maybe even be reported, so wear it. Thais in BKK generally wear masks but like people everywhere they take it off at every opportunity that is safe. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I found it all very easy when I did a return trip from Bangkok to the UK in November. All the information is there on the website. Including that all uploads must be in .jpeg.

The only problem I and some others had was the fact that hotmail email addresses weren't working. Changed to a google one and all went smoothly.

The trick is to read through the Thailand Pass site, then get all your stuff organised before doing the application.

I find it too much hassle to have to keep checking though phone for documents when asked, so I printed everything and kept it all in a folder in my backpack, to show as required. UK requirements were/are probably different to the US.

I didn't need any tests to exit or enter the UK at that time 22/Nov. but had to do a day 2 test and a PCR for Fit to Fly for return.

• Like 2

Facemask wearing demographic and context observation after one month in Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Korat and Surin)...

Probability of who is wearing masks: old, rich educated females indoors where police are nearby and they are with others - 99.999%

Probability of who is likely not wearing masks: young, poor, uneducated males outdoors where there are no police nearby and they are alone - 80%

Change any of the factors and percentages change. This is 'ballpark' (approximate).

So it is directly related to social class and vulnerability to fines. The exception seems to be low-status cart vendors and security guards (i.e. those whose livelihood, license renewal and wage, are dependent on not breaking the law). Among these persons, compliance is even higher - 99.9999999999%?

I have not noticed any difference between Bangkok and non-Bangkok and daytime versus night time.

Edited by World Traveller2
add
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, worldexpress said:

Was the CDC vaccine card accepted in the process w/o any hiccup? 

Great question.  I forgot to mention details about the Vaccine card.  My card is a CDC card with Pfizer vaccine.  I have the two initial doses and a booster.  The card does have my birthdate, both in the ID section and in the booster information box.  I was never asked anything about it anywhere along the way.

• Thanks 1

Everything from applying for pass to my journey and arrival has been very smooth. I’m now awaiting results of my pcr in the hotel and nobody has mentioned anything about the tracking app so far. I am still nervous since so many around me testing positive in London; but the test here was very poorly done. A quick stab in my nostril was all I had !

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

.I can verify that PCR tests from CVS are fine for entry. Any PCR test is (NOT antigen test) but there have been issues with airline staff if it does not specifically say "RT-PCR" somewhere on it. Report I got from CVS did.  (Actually all PCR tests are RT-PCR ...there is no other type. But not all results clearly state this).

An important correction to OP: the test must be 72 hours before departure, not before arrival.

Also it is not required to stay at quarantine hotel for 24 hrs if results are available earlier. You can leave as soon as you receive a negative result. Your package includes 1 night and there is mo tefund if you leave before then, but you can.

And lastly, not all Test & Go packages include meals. Some include 3 meals, some 2, some 1 and some none (though they sometimes offer a discoint on room service orders.) This difference greatly confuses attempts at cost comparison.

Which country are you referring to in this reply. I surmise it is Thailand.

You are so correct Sheryl. Misunderstandings by airline staff about timing of PCR tests, stop-overs, when one left the country versus first domestic flight - it's complicated! I spent two night in a transit lounge outside Paris (CDG) due to this kind of confusion

Those 72h are meant before DEPARTURE. I visited Bangkok mid of November and arrived clearly more than 72h after the test result timestamp. They calculated the hours carefully at the Covid checkpoint and there was no problem. Mor Chana: Nobody asked for the app to be installed and I did not use it during the whole trip. ATK was traveling with me without being used (used it later back home). Nobody asked for Mor Chana during my stay. Some places asked for a vaccination certificate. They all accepted the European digital certificate on the mobile phone.

1 hour ago, World Traveller2 said:

Which country are you referring to in this reply. I surmise it is Thailand.

You are so correct Sheryl. Misunderstandings by airline staff about timing of PCR tests, stop-overs, when one left the country versus first domestic flight - it's complicated! I spent two night in a transit lounge outside Paris (CDG) due to this kind of confusion

It was to Thailand that I came with PCR from CVS but would work just as well for Cambodia. Result stated RT-PCT.

55 minutes ago, Stefanix said:

I understand that there are RT-PCR tests and PCR tests, two slightly different methods. Does anybody know if PCR tests (without "RT-") are accepted as well?

All COVID PCR tests are RT-PCR. There is no way to do a COVID PCR test without the initial RT step. Physically impossible.

However airline personnel are not scientists abd have no way of knowing this, and there have been reports of airline staff not accepting results that did not include the exact phrase "RT-PCR".

• Thanks 2

I actually read it all! Thanks for your detailed post.

I returned 6 december and most of my experience was a little different.

The pcr test at CVS was drive through and best of all Free! Notice comes email next day.

Getting thai pass very stressful! 6 hours on computer and phone calls to numbers seldom answered took 10 days. My friend who did hers on her phone in 10 minutes was approved in 6 hours!

On masks, yes you need to wear, but long meals and sleeping with blankets pulled up high. Ment that they were not so strict. In Thailand my mask has vents but they are filtered both ways. No one confronts me. The filters are 2.5 and far more effective than medical masks  On mor Chana. I had a cheap phone ready to install the program but was never asked to do so.

I booked a very good hotel so no waiting, private car waiting. Pcr test at check in. Just me. Fast service option and had result in two hours.

There are a lot of moving parts to the Thai Pass and all have to mesh. That's

stressful. Other than that easy!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

All COVID PCR tests are RT-PCR. There is no way to do a COVID PCR test without the initial RT step. Physically impossible.

However airline personnel are not scientists abd have no way of knowing this, and there have been reports of airline staff not accepting results that did not include the exact phrase "RT-PCR".

Thanks for this info!

I found some info with Google that there are different PCR testing methods:

https://driphydration.com/blog/rapid-pcr-vs-rt-pcr/

https://www.enzolifesciences.com/science-center/technotes/2017/march/what-are-the-differences-between-pcr-rt-pcr-qpcr-and-rt-qpcr?/

I have no knowledge of this subject and am a bit confused now. Can you comment on those without going too deep into details? Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

.I can verify that PCR tests from CVS are fine for entry. ....snip... the test must be 72 hours before departure, not before arrival.

Thanks Sheryl for input and making this information better!

Edited by Marvest
  • Like 1