Moving to Thailand, Ko Samui or other beach location.

tvmax

My personal preference for a Thai island (large enough, good facilities, flights in and out both national and international etc) is Phuket. The Gulf of Siam side is nowhere near as nice water-wise as the west coast - its a shallow semi-enclosed body of water and does not get the tidal flushing the west (Andaman) coast does.

I was been born and bred near the beach in Oz, and I've seen all the worlds seas and oceans in my surfing and other holiday travels so I could say with a fair degree of certainty I know good beaches and ocean when I see them.

Given the state of population size, pollution, etc Phuket is pretty decent (especially since 'the situation' arose which sees the sea and beaches in the best condition I have seen them in since the early eighties when I first visited the island). Mind you it's not the Maldives, Cook, or Hawaiian outer islands mind you but its pretty good. 

As to accommodation ... how long is a piece of string? If you want bare bones and a short walk to the sea there are basic clean places for 4-5000 baht a month. The general average for a place with aircon, tv, fridge, decent bathroom, a small lounge area, an alfresco table with chairs with a communal pool normally around 7000 on the west coast. Theres tonnes of places with a quiet outlooks, begging for tenants right now so a good deal for a longer rental will be super easy to get.

You can get a 1 bed condo-complex with a communal pool for less than 10,000 a month along the west coast ... easy. For 20,000 to 30K you can get a really beautiful place within a quiet, gated community with superb facilities.

Like other responders have said it depends on what you want. If you want to come and stay for 4 months solid then maybe a 60 day tourist visa (applied for in the US) then extend this (in-country) 2 x 30 day periods to give you 4 months through an agent to make the process easier and 'almost' guaranteed to be re-upped if you go through an agent.

If you're actually thinking of moving to LOS as a retiree at a later date, and not just a snow goose avoiding the harsh US winter you speak of why not do what I did to see if living in LOS as a retiree is what you truly want to do.

Go get a 12 month ED visa (also applied for in your country) then go study Thai language a few times a week. This is fun and will really heighten your experience of being, interacting with the locals. 

This has a 90 day reporting/extension stamp requirement which, with your language school to help you is easy as pie to get. There are lots of registered schools who can help you with filling in necessary documents you'll need for your application.

• Like 2

If you are only going to be in Thailand for four or so months I highly suggest renting.  Less hassle and you don't have to worry about your place being broken into.  Plus trying to sell a condo for what you paid is very difficult.  It's definitely been a buyers market for several years.

On 12/17/2021 at 3:03 PM, robertson468 said:

Rubbish!

Very solid argument...do you have a business in Samui related to snorkeling or diving?

Just name one beach with good snorkeling, and I'll go and take a pic with my gopro to show what's under water...

This is what the real tourists say....not farangs living in Samui trying to promote their businesses:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293918-i7560-k4437284-Best_Snorkeling_Place_in_Koh_Samui-Ko_Samui_Surat_Thani_Province.html

• Confused 1

• 2 months later...