Bangkok Bank in Thailand

These people have policies that come from the 1970's in the rest of the world.

Everything is paper. Everything you want to change is hard to do.

Many things you need to do have to do at your original branch, which is in Bangkok and I'm in Pattaya.

After my next visa I am so out of there.

We already closed one account there and went to SCB. Very happy there.

If you're looking to open a bank account stay away. It will just be an ongoing pain in your butt.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

My BBL complaints:

Everything has to be done at your branch. (SCB allows you to do most things at any branch).

Getting a new passbook involves at massive document dump, dozens of signatures, even more garuda stamps and on average 15 minutes.

Changing anything, like phone number or address also requires a similar deep dive into the thai penchant for paperwork.

The people at my branch know me, and are very helpful (esp. at extension time), and keeping multiple accounts is prudent, IMO. I guess I'm just inured to the follies and foibles after 20-ish years.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Sadly, the only one USA SS accepts for DD

Although my local branch is excellent come visa ext. time.  Fair trade.

not true anymore, can use any bank you want now ACH is for Bangkok Bank only IDD is for any bank

3 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

We already closed one account there and went to SCB. Very happy there.

I'm just the opposite, my wife and I had a joint account with SCB and because it was a joint account we couldn't use their app. I wasn't happy with that so I opened a single account with BB and I'm happy with them.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, flexomike said:

not true anymore, can use any bank you want now ACH is for Bangkok Bank only IDD is for any bank

OK, good to know, though I'll stick BkkBank for now, as visa time, excellent.  My bank book show 3 or 4 transactions a month, 1 in 2 or 3 out.  Pretty much all of my Thai banking.

At the time submitted Thanachart account for USA Social Security dir dep, and SS said BkkBank only.  

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

OK, good to know, though I'll stick BkkBank for now, as visa time, excellent.  My bank book show 3 or 4 transactions a month, 1 in 2 or 3 out.  Pretty much all of my Thai banking.

At the time submitted Thanachart account for USA Social Security dir dep, and SS said BkkBank only.  

Best to keep the way you are doing it, wife has hers sent IDD, and it doesn't show as a foreign transaction, mine comes ACH to BKK bank and always shows foreign transaction code, only advantage to the IDD is you can have a debit card linked to it

• Like 1

''These people have policies that come from the 1970's in the rest of the world.'' -  Nope

"Everything is paper. Everything you want to change is hard to do." Nope

"Many things you need to do have to do at your original branch, which is in Bangkok and I'm in Pattaya." Nope again.

"Getting a new passbook involves at massive document dump, dozens of signatures, even more garuda stamps and on average 15 minutes.

Changing anything, like phone number or address also requires a similar deep dive into the thai penchant for paperwork." Quite an exaggeration.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 10:37 AM, Phoenix Rising said:

You should really ask the mods to remove your post, or do it yourself if there's still time. There are draconian defamation laws protecting the high and mighty (and the owners of BB are) in Thailand from inconvenient truths uttered by the little people so a post like yours might actually land you in jail.......seriously.

I would, but there's nothing untrue here.

• Haha 1

On 12/15/2021 at 1:35 PM, bbko said:

I'm just the opposite, my wife and I had a joint account with SCB and because it was a joint account we couldn't use their app. I wasn't happy with that so I opened a single account with BB and I'm happy with them.

There we are then. BBL is superior. Wife and I have joint account and I use  the app regularly with no problems.

On 12/15/2021 at 10:42 AM, mtls2005 said:

My BBL complaints:

Everything has to be done at your branch. (SCB allows you to do most things at any branch).

Getting a new passbook involves at massive document dump, dozens of signatures, even more garuda stamps and on average 15 minutes.

Changing anything, like phone number or address also requires a similar deep dive into the thai penchant for paperwork.

The people at my branch know me, and are very helpful (esp. at extension time), and keeping multiple accounts is prudent, IMO. I guess I'm just inured to the follies and foibles after 20-ish years.

A lot of bank staff here seem wary of doing something outside the scope of day to day banking. I don't know if it is the language barrier,  fear of making a mistake and getting into trouble (they may have cover any losses made due to their mistakes), or if it just the Thai loss of face thing.

I have found that the staff seem much more knowledgeable and helpful in the areas where they deal with many foreign customers.

As for the paperwork thing. it is everywhere. Not just the banks. I think it is the government just collecting information on everyone in the country. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 8:35 AM, bbko said:

One of the joint account holders can use the App. Not very inconvenient.