Booster vaccine?

neilscolt

Does anyone know if you have a paid vaccine (Moderna) that you can take the booster before 6 months? Anyone had that experience?  Do they deny you? ???? 

Other countries recommend boosters after 3-4 months now due to Omicron. No idea why Thailand is always weeks behind catching up with Covid news... even the vaccine companies say that you need 3 shots to be fully vaccinated now. 

Edited by burner2014
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, spetersen said:
Walk in covid-19 vaccinations available at Chaiyaphruek Pattaya Stadium. Today my wife and I went for our third shoot of covid vaccin this morning. We were there at 7.15 and there were 250 people ahead of us , finished at 9:30. Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccin was available. Requirement older than 18 and the previous shoot if any was received at least three months before . People received not only the third jab even the second and the first was administered. Everything was professional performed..

Do you know if these are available for someone vaccinated with the first two shots outside Thailand?

• Like 1

I'm no anti-vaxxer BUT I'd prefer to have my booster dose be AstraZeneca just like my first two. Pfizer is free, Moderna costs but I think I want to hold off on making pharma more billions.

You may say, well, everybody else (in the first world) got mRNA. So what? It's no kind of solidarity to be a guinea fowl.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, burner2014 said:

Does anyone know if you have a paid vaccine (Moderna) that you can take the booster before 6 months? Anyone had that experience?  Do they deny you? ???? 

Other countries recommend boosters after 3-4 months now due to Omicron. No idea why Thailand is always weeks behind catching up with Covid news... even the vaccine companies say that you need 3 shots to be fully vaccinated now. 

Vichaiyut hospital in Bangkok let us decide when to take shots although they do provide recommendations.

I had a full size Moderna shot Dec 8, 91 days after completing 2 AZ shots. I could have taken it earlier. They had my AZ shots on record.  They also automatically set my 2nd Moderna appointment 28 days after the first but I will move it to March.

While I was there, they said I could use both shots as a full Moderna course now (28 day gap) or use them as 'boosters' several months apart, thought they said boosters made more sense.

31 minutes ago, rabas said:

Vichaiyut hospital in Bangkok let us decide when to take shots although they do provide recommendations.

I had a full size Moderna shot Dec 8, 91 days after completing 2 AZ shots. I could have taken it earlier. They had my AZ shots on record.  They also automatically set my 2nd Moderna appointment 28 days after the first but I will move it to March.

While I was there, they said I could use both shots as a full Moderna course now (28 day gap) or use them as 'boosters' several months apart, thought they said boosters made more sense.

Any side effects? I must admit I'm running a bit scared of this vaccine but it's likely the logical choice for me as a booster.

44 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Nobody cares about your uninformed Covid Booster  “preference” nor your daft opinion on market forces or “ experimental” vax. Three AZ is not recommended so unobtainable & would give zero protection for Omicron. You’ll get what you get. More overthinking & wrong conclusions again here. Just leave it to the medical experts…

Nothing wrong with a 3rd dose of AZ.  It provides has some antibody boost, and AZ has very good T cell protection.  Sadly, all the vaccines are not so effective against omicron, but still have basic protection against severe illness.

But the ideal booster would be an mRNA vaccine.

9 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Nothing wrong with a 3rd dose of AZ.  It provides has some antibody boost, and AZ has very good T cell protection.  Sadly, all the vaccines are not so effective against omicron, but still have basic protection against severe illness.

But the ideal booster would be an mRNA vaccine.

So six “yes” to all your points BUT the primary vax purpose is to stop infection which AZ surprisingly fails to do for Omicron so then it’s down to B & T cells to fight the infection and again I believe AZ,otherwise possibly the best vax at that , is not effective for Omicron. Possibly as non- mRNA. Hence AZ x3 not used.

4 hours ago, burner2014 said:

46 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

So six “yes” to all your points BUT the primary vax purpose is to stop infection which AZ surprisingly fails to do for Omicron so then it’s down to B & T cells to fight the infection and again I believe AZ,otherwise possibly the best vax at that , is not effective for Omicron. Possibly as non- mRNA. Hence AZ x3 not used.

I don't think Thailand is behind this time i.m.o they are before many other countries, it started yesterday with the booster vaccinations please look earlier in this thread , I think there is an template that describe the requirements , I got mine 3rd yesterday 1,2 AZ last one Aug 30th, Min 3 months from the second,  yesterday Pfizer , this was in Pattaya... They apparently have a walk in tomorrow Friday at the Indoor Stadium East Pattaya , start at 8 am... Good luck

54 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

AZ is believed to be as good at any other regarding T cell protection as far as I'm aware.  It will not prevent infection with omicron and Pfizer is also considerably less effective. 

All vaccines thus far seem to be effective at preventing severe illness- 65-95% depending on variant and vaccine, and profile of patients.

I don't know where you've picked up the idea that a booster with AZ vaccine is ineffective.  It's probably the misleading headlines to many reports recently.

And actually, there is not much real data around about all of them with regard to omicron.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

Any side effects? I must admit I'm running a bit scared of this vaccine but it's likely the logical choice for me as a booster.

Quite similar to my first AZ shot. Sore arm starting at 12hrs, next day felt a bit ratty and sleepy. About 4 hours of slight fever of 37.9 then next day felt great. AZ was also a 4 hr fever of 37.6. 

I too expected a bit more.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, burner2014 said:

Yes you can.... You can take the Paid Moderna vaccine any time you wish.

I will get the Moderna Booster in a couple of weeks, 4.5 months after my latest (2nd) Pfizer vaccine.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I will get the Moderna Booster in a couple of weeks, 4.5 months after my latest (2nd) Pfizer vaccine.

NO.....Not anytime you wish.

The new government regulations (as of 2 days ago) for booster shots is now 3 months (except for AZ/Pfizer or just  Pfizer which is 6 months).

FGow_67VkAAtdn0.jpg

Edited by couchpotato
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, couchpotato said:

The new government regulations (as of 2 days ago) for booster shots is now 3 months (except for AZ/Pfizer or just  Pfizer which is 6 months).

FGow_67VkAAtdn0.jpg

That's the thing. I don't care what the (Thai) government says as I said in my post in Europe they do boosters now after 3-4 months already to fight Omicron. 2 Shots are not enough anymore most likely (first studies show that)

So my question is more if anyone has booked a Moderna Vaccine privately (paid for it already) and got it 3-4 months after the 2nd shot of ANY vaccine e.g. Pfizer. (I got 2 times Pfizer).

I want to choose myself to take it in January after 4 months of the 2nd Pfizer dose ???? 

And that is why I am referring to the Thai Government is always some weeks behind. 
See e.g. UK...

or check the Pfizer Press Releases the last days where they clearly say 3rd shot is important shown in first studies. 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

thanks but you also don't have real life examples where you got it or? Because I got my appointment for early January, but when I am there at the hospital I am afraid the discussion starts when they see my last Pfizer shot was 4 months ago ???? that whole bla bla ???? 

7 hours ago, burner2014 said:

So my question is more if anyone has booked a Moderna Vaccine privately (paid for it already) and got it 3-4 months after the 2nd shot of ANY vaccine e.g. Pfizer. (I got 2 times Pfizer).

Yes, as I reported above, I got a 100µg Moderna shot just less than 3 months after my second AZ shot. They had my prior AZ shots in their computer. They will also let me decide when I want the take the second  Moderna 'booster'. 

9 hours ago, couchpotato said:

FGow_67VkAAtdn0.jpg

If you read the Thai heading, that is guidance or a suggestion from the government.  For privately purchased shots, I would think anything within reason should be OK.

They know many people have constraints that might not fit exact rules. They would not refuse to give you a shot you paid for if used in a reasonable way.

Edited by rabas

3 hours ago, rabas said:

Yes, as I reported above, I got a 100µg Moderna shot just less than 3 months after my second AZ shot. They had my prior AZ shots in their computer. They will also let me decide when I want the take the second  Moderna 'booster'. 

No “second Booster” yet planned…..let’s not “ trigger” the anti - vax “eternal Booster” conspiracy crowd …..

21 hours ago, mommysboy said:

AZ is believed to be as good at any other regarding T cell protection as far as I'm aware.  It will not prevent infection with omicron and Pfizer is also considerably less effective. 

All vaccines thus far seem to be effective at preventing severe illness- 65-95% depending on variant and vaccine, and profile of patients.

I don't know where you've picked up the idea that a booster with AZ vaccine is ineffective.  It's probably the misleading headlines to many reports recently.

And actually, there is not much real data around about all of them with regard to omicron.

???????? UK study in Daily Mail said zero AZ Omicron protection.

AZx 3 is not on approved vax template.

AZ is not mRNA so deduced mRNA vax best booster with AZ primary vax.

12 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

UK study in Daily Mail said zero AZ Omicron protection.

Trust the Daily Mail to use an inaccurate, sensationalist headline over a factually accurate one.

The headline begins (their caps.)  "Vast majority of Britons have NO PROTECTION against Omicron: After 100 days two AstraZeneca doses offer virtually zero defence"

However, the body of the article states "Officials stress two doses should still offer high protection against severe illness".  That's not "NO PROTECTION".

Haven't been able to track down the original UKHSA publication.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Trust the Daily Mail to use an inaccurate, sensationalist headline over a factually accurate one.

The headline begins (their caps.)  "Vast majority of Britons have NO PROTECTION against Omicron: After 100 days two AstraZeneca doses offer virtually zero defence"

However, the body of the article states "Officials stress two doses should still offer high protection against severe illness".  That's not "NO PROTECTION".

Haven't been able to track down the original UKHSA publication.

Thanx Oxx, I’m a big picture / top down guy so often skim article headlines only ( from semi decent sources) unless doing specific research ( Wkipedia ???? usually he he ????). However some of you guys like ozimoron & placeholder are inspiring me …..yesterday read Nat Geo & NASA reports on Global Warming…..scary future fate for humans….????

On 12/16/2021 at 9:09 AM, MrJ2U said:

Any clues on which hospitals?

I pre-ordered before but that's all said and done.  

Since news of the booster shots I haven't found any hospitals selling anything but Sinopharm.

There offering boosters for people who've gotten the mix batches Sino/Astra, Sino/Sino, sinopharm, etc.

Its kinda complicated to meet their criteria.  Especially being a falang with Pfeizer/Pfeizer.

Please update.

I had X2 Pfizer in Canada and am *considering* getting a booster ('exTRA' as Thais call it).  But maybe easier/cheaper/faster in Cambodia? Going there next. They sure have high vaccination rates.

Looking up the scientific reasons whether and when to get a booster. My gut 'thinking' is to wait until more data is in on variants of concern. But doing so carries its own risks.

Vaccines for dengue fever and malaria interests me more actually, 'cause I figure with my travels I am more likely to die and be incapacitated from either of those.

On 12/16/2021 at 9:09 AM, MrJ2U said:

Any clues on which hospitals?

I pre-ordered before but that's all said and done.  

Since news of the booster shots I haven't found any hospitals selling anything but Sinopharm.

There offering boosters for people who've gotten the mix batches Sino/Astra, Sino/Sino, sinopharm, etc.

Its kinda complicated to meet their criteria.  Especially being a falang with Pfeizer/Pfeizer.

Please elaborate your last statement. Thank you

On 12/16/2021 at 12:47 PM, Biffski said:

Head to Asiatique near the river. Free Pfizer booster shots are available for all, residents, visa holders and tourists. I went at 3:45PM on a Tuesday 2 weeks ago and exited by 5:00PM after waiting for about 20 minutes beforehand and a requisite 30 minute wait after the vaccination. Very easy and actually quite organized there. Hardly anyone in line. When I arrived there were only 6 people seated ahead of me. Worth the trip over there. 

Much obliged. Google Maps says that Asiatique is a shopping mall. I presume there are signs so I don't register to donate a kidney.

On 12/16/2021 at 6:17 PM, burner2014 said:

Does anyone know if you have a paid vaccine (Moderna) that you can take the booster before 6 months? Anyone had that experience?  Do they deny you?

I contacted one of the hospitals that sell Moderna shots, with my details (got 2x Pfizer before). Their reply was that I 'can get a booster after 6 months', so it seems they strictly follow the government's much publicised guideline, even though they sell the vaccine themselves.

I haven't ordered yet, though, so people who ordered Moderna earlier may receive different feedback.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, World Traveller2 said:

Much obliged. Google Maps says that Asiatique is a shopping mall. I presume there are signs so I don't register to donate a kidney.

Yes, there is a pavilion upon entry that is close to the entrance. The signs will point you to a seating area while you await the vaccine. Restrooms are available and if there is a long wait, which I doubt, grab a coffee or snack at one of the cafes/shops and return to the seating area. The whole process is actually quite organized and there are English speaking staff. 

• Haha 1