Good Northern Thai food in Pattaya?

candide

I don't know if they have Chang Mai sausages but whenever my wife wants Issan food we go to this place, 2nd or 3rd stall.  Darkside on Nern Plab Wan just east of Sukhumvit.

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.932614,100.9026754,3a,53.2y,226.06h,87.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgNzBQcsUtjrkctN_VR0GpQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Edited by bbko

4 hours ago, bbko said:

I don't know if they have Chang Mai sausages but whenever my wife wants Issan food we go to this place, 2nd or 3rd stall.  Darkside on Nern Plab Wan just east of Sukhumvit.

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.932614,100.9026754,3a,53.2y,226.06h,87.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgNzBQcsUtjrkctN_VR0GpQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

There is Issan food throughout Pattaya because of all the Issan people living here. There are several issan restaurants and food stalls all over town including WS. But the OP is asking about CM and Northern food such as Gang hung lay and Kao Soi and CM sausages. 

• Like 1

Take away ...........Northern thai food..........i buy Hang Ley from him

Bit difficult to explain where it is but if you were travelling on 3rd road and sat at the south road/3rd road lights heading towards Pratamak ,keep going and just before the next set of lights there is a road on your right that slopes off at an angle......................he is in the end shop house straight ahead of you on the "slopey" road

Best to go on the morning as when he is sold out he closes............his hang lay is good but i normally cook it for an extra hour to tenderise the belly pork a little more

jjjjjjjjj.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Bit difficult to explain where it is but if you were travelling on 3rd road and sat at the south road/3rd road lights heading towards Pratamak ,keep going and just before the next set of lights there is a road on your right that slopes off at an angle......................he is in the end shop house straight ahead of you on the "slopey" road

Best to go on the morning as when he is sold out he closes............his hang lay is good but i normally cook it for an extra hour to tenderise the belly pork a little more

jjjjjjjjj.jpg

Been the best place for Northern Thai Food for decades now.

Normally closes around 1pm, so be early.

Menu changes every day, but you normally have the choice of Gaeng HangLay or Khao Soi Gai, both are very good.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, thaiflyer1 said:

jjjjjjjjj.jpg

Khao Soi too is good

20 hours ago, thaiflyer1 said:

jjjjjjjjj.jpg

Is this photo 3rd Rd going towards Pratumnak?

On 12/17/2021 at 3:20 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

There is another thread about CM food on the forum. Terminal 21 has Kao Soi as does the food court at the Beach Rd end at Central Festival. There are some places around 3rd Rd too. Try and check out the other thread.

I don't know why people always think that Khao Soi is northern Thai food. It actually is a Yunnan Chinese food brought into Thailand via Myanmar.

Thai people eat rice and not noodles. Noodles are brought in by Chinese immigrants to Thailand.

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

I don't know why people always think that Khao Soi is northern Thai food. It actually is a Yunnan Chinese food brought into Thailand via Myanmar.

Thai people eat rice and not noodles. Noodles are brought in by Chinese immigrants to Thailand.

What is Pad Thai ?

13 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Pad = Noodles 

Thai = Thailand 

Pad Thai is noodles from Thailand 

Pad Thai is the so-called national dish but it originated from China brought in by Thai citizens of Chinese ancestry in the 19th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pad_thai

You need to take a trip around SEA like Malaysia and Singapore and see similar dishes there.

Pad means stir-fried and not noodles.

KFC chicken originated from America, even if the Thai modify it to be a little spicy , it's still an American dish.

Same with Pad Thai.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Pad Thai is the so-called national dish but it originated from China brought in by Thai citizens of Chinese ancestry in the 19th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pad_thai

You need to take a trip around SEA like Malaysia and Singapore and see similar dishes there.

Pad means stir-fried and not noodles.

KFC chicken originated in America, even if we modify it to be a little spicy , it's still an American dish. Same with Pad Thai.

No KFC is not an American dish .

Chickens originate from Asia and potatoes come from South America and I dont know what herbs Col Saunders puts on his Chickens  because its a secret  but they probably didnt come from the USA

9 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I dont know what herbs Col Saunders puts on his Chickens

A secret mix of 11 herbs and spices, (two of which are salt and pepper).

Or Ben Elton's comment, lumps of bone and gristle wrapped up in xxxx and deep fried. 

Edited by jacko45k

4 hours ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Issan is North East thailand.....Udorn/Nong Khai etc............Northern generally refers to the Chiang Mai/Rai region

Far as i know anyway.

What's the difference?

I know food always taste better in Chiang Mai, perhaps its because its prepared at hotel when were on Holiday.

Can't really stomach Issan food and all its balla(fermented fish and its associated parasites),MSG, and loads of sugar.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Issan.

What the heck is "Northern" food?

My Issan wife and Thai friends in the north would like to know.

Isan is in the northeast of Thailand. They speak their own language. Food is VERY spicy.

Nort of Thailand is Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Nan... They also have their own language and typical food, but different from Isan. Their food is not spicy, or at least not more spicy that in the rest of Thailand. Khao soy is a well known typical meal from the north.

Edited by Espanol
  • Like 1