British man chased by Thai with a knife after he refuses to buy him a beer

webfact

8 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Obviously it must be your empathy with the Thai's (rolls eyes). As I and others have said. You don't have to do anything to get that, you can just be in the wrong place when someone is having a brain fart. UK is notorious for it too.

I do disagree , random attacks are very rare . 

Even in the U.K you can usually avoid confrontation and violence , just dont get involved and walk away 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Obviously it must be your empathy with the Thai's (rolls eyes). As I and others have said. You don't have to do anything to get that, you can just be in the wrong place when someone is having a brain fart. UK is notorious for it too.

you're obviously a troublemaker I have NEVER  had trouble in Thailand , but i DO RESPECT the local culture unlike many !.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BostonRob2 said:

It's hardly ever happened to me but I have been invited to drink with Thais at their expense hundreds of times.

Same here in my village but I never accept, drinking with Thais is a dangerous event no matter how nice and friendly they are when sober, when someone suddenly produces a lao kao bottle all bets are off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Same here in my village but I never accept, drinking with Thais is a dangerous event no matter how nice and friendly they are when sober, when someone suddenly produces a lao kao bottle all bets are off.

I agree 100% but one of the best nights I had was when the Men of the village turned up with a bottle of Lao Kao to welcome the first farang they had seen to the village. Lovely, friendly guys as most Thai men are. They were a little dissapointed I didn't drink and wouldn't sing an English song for them (especially as they were singing Thai songs). One of my most enjoyable and pleasant nights in Thailand but a situation I would with more experience shy away from because of the other way it could turn out as you alluded. Choose your Thai drinking partners carefully.

A friend at another village told me, this village divides between good people and bad people.

::::At my first job a UK educated THAI female colleague took me aside and told me "You wouldn't want to be thinking that everybody here (meaning Thais) is a nice person because they're not, there are people here who will pull anything" All Thammasat/Chula/Overseas Master degree level."""

this is very telling....

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, PhineusFreek said:

Thais dont have the <deleted> UK culture of beating up random people for fun. If you get in to trouble in Thailand , 99 % you deserve it,. I see these disrespectful tourists getting their <deleted> kicked all the time ...

I'm not sure about the fist part being universally applicable. There is an element of truth in that some people get a kicking because they asked for it - sometimes without realising it, but that doesn't mean the situations I and others describe don't also happen. I could tell you of a place where Thai guys were sitting around hoping a farang would walk out a bar  having forgotten to pay so that when the staff shouted they had an excuse to jump him.

2 minutes ago, PhineusFreek said:

::::At my first job a UK educated THAI female colleague took me aside and told me "You wouldn't want to be thinking that everybody here (meaning Thais) is a nice person because they're not, there are people here who will pull anything" All Thammasat/Chula/Overseas Master degree level."""

this is very telling....

perhaps you would care to tell how so from your boundless empathy with the Thais......I assume you're another of these people who has been here for 30 years but just joined TV a couple of years ago.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I do disagree , random attacks are very rare . 

Even in the U.K you can usually avoid confrontation and violence , just dont get involved and walk away 

What if someone punches someone and knocks them over and then starts kicking them in the face as I have seen happen to someone (in UK) who as far as i can tell hadn't done anything. I agree absolutely you walk away, but this poor sod wasn't quick enough. It's not rare in some places. Another case, two American tourists thought they would experience the real east end by going to a pub in a depressed area (Limehouse). They ended up getting a severe kicking. The evidence against their attackers stated that they didn't seem to have done anything to have provoked it. Maybe the UK is a nicer place these days - it used to be pretty dammed rough in places - even idyllic market towns where people came to buy antiques during the day.

Edited by mokwit

1 hour ago, PhineusFreek said:

I see these disrespectful tourists getting their <deleted> kicked all the time ...

'All the time', really, so you'll be able to reel off multiple examples, right?  date, time, place? Where exactly do you see this happening 'All the time'?

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sikishrory said:

So you're saying the Thai guy is not a ball-less coward? 

I assumed you meant the farang guy was ball-less for running away - that seemed to be the logical inference.

If you were referring to the Thai guy then I got it wrong and I agree with you.

10 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I assumed you meant the farang guy was ball-less for running away - that seemed to be the logical inference.

If you were referring to the Thai guy then I got it wrong and I agree with you.

Different logic i guess. Any "man" who needs to run off and grab a 2 foot machete to take on an unarmed guy relaxing having a beer is clearly a coward. I just find it frustrating that this seems to be a common trait amongst the local men. But different cultures I guess

2 hours ago, PhineusFreek said:

Thais dont have the <deleted> UK culture of beating up random people for fun. If you get in to trouble in Thailand , 99 % you deserve it,. I see these disrespectful tourists getting their <deleted> kicked all the time ...

I would have to agree with you. More than once I have witnessed a situation where both foreign men and women were being obnoxious and I warned them to quietly back off and leave. I often don,t get involved or just walk away and let the Thais have their way with them. I learned long ago to just avoid most foreigners all together. In all my travels never had a situation where I felt threatened by any Thais. And I have hung with some very questionable Thais at times and survived it.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, mokwit said:

I'm not sure about the fist part being universally applicable. There is an element of truth in that some people get a kicking because they asked for it - sometimes without realising it, but that doesn't mean the situations I and others describe don't also happen. I could tell you of a place where Thai guys were sitting around hoping a farang would walk out a bar  having forgotten to pay so that when the staff shouted they had an excuse to jump him.

Well give us a clue then!

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Some knife ...more like a Machete ,trying to behead him ,no wonder

he did a runner.

regards worgeordie

Was thinking same. Not a knife a freaking machete. Whitey did the right thing in legging it. Maybe enter for selection in the Olympic 100 metres sprint. BUT: OK I wasn't there so from the story not sure of exact nuances of the events. NEVER be the one to <deleted> off a Thai and lose them face. It will not be a happy outcome. Maybe, being a cheap Charlie could have cost him his life. a 40 baht beer better than a slashed neck or speared heart or being disembowled.  

Jack*ss made a series of mistakes leading up to the fairly predictable result.  Had it not been a "knife" it would've been a length of 2x4 or quite possibly a gun, which many Thais are known to possess.  Cheeky <deleted> told the bloke to go home; there's a trigger if there ever was one.  Now the fool's afraid to leave his own house -- som nam na.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Bohemianfish said:

If someone came up to me like that in the States, or anywhere, it would immediately appear they were not normal. Nothing better to do than to leave the area and the situation. 

I am too old to run. So, if someone came up to me like that in the States I would have to stand my ground. My advice to him would be not to take a knife to a gun fight.

This is a very unusual occurrence. In all the years I have lived in Thailand, I have never encountered anything like this. I have been threatened a few times by hothead Thais in Samui, but nothing ever came of it, and they backed down. Most Thais are not like this. This is one of the things many of us enjoy so much about Thailand.