DPM Anutin: Thailand is able to handle Omicron variant

webfact

Omicron spreads very fast and it is not a question of if it will come but when it will come.  I think soon, seeing how fast it doubles elsewhere. Until now it is unclear whether the effects of the new variant are less serious or the same as the delta. The data from South Africa cannot simply be transposed, it is a totally different population and different circumstances. Data from UK and Denmark are more worrying.

What worries me most is that, although vaccines protect, the present vaccines offer less protection against omicron, and Sinovac may even hardly protect at all. All the reason to get a booster and I want to encourage anyone to do so.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

That's odd, I still see Thai men at my office not washing their hands after going for a pee. 

I don't think I've seen any Thai social distancing anywhere, with the exception of a few government buildings where it is strictly enforced (just past the line where they feel people become their responsibility and before that it is a free for all).

• Like 1

He has a get out in that he stated that Thai people followed the rules, so when it explodes it's the dirty farangs that caused it. As normal, blame anyone else but Thais. A Racist, guys; beware if he becomes next P.M.

Or he might get away with it if the new infection is indeed minimal. So far, from S Africa, it attacks the bronchial passage but has not progressed to the lungs.  Which is great news if that holds true.

Thailand and Thai people are  better than any other country or foreigners to do pretty much anything. Everything negative has a root cause outside Thailand or thai people. I am perfect, and as being such, criticism is not allowed as it unnecessary - as I am perfect. 

Now, wonder what would happen if he would be put to do something real, esp with responsibility, with group of people with normal brains and without protection he has here... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

That's odd, I still see Thai men at my office not washing their hands after going for a pee. 

Bizarre things to follow but if your mom/ dad not teach you , they teach in army THAT NOT PEE ON YOUR HANDS! But not in airforce or navy! They pee on hads all the times!

Edited by 2 is 1

5 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Have you noticed after

they “rinse” they slick their hair back with their wet hands.

ew

45 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Well, if I don't touch anything in the bathroom and I'm only touching my dick, then why wash my hands?  

Do you wash your hands after touching other parts of your own skin?

For example, your face?  Of course not.

1 hour ago, mran66 said:

Thailand and Thai people are  better than any other country or foreigners to do pretty much anything. Everything negative has a root cause outside Thailand or thai people. I am perfect, and as being such, criticism is not allowed as it unnecessary - as I am perfect. 

Now, wonder what would happen if he would be put to do something real, esp with responsibility, with group of people with normal brains and without protection he has here... 

Ur rigth.Even my exwife from Surin still think thais number one.She make good money here.150.000 bath a month.Even after 13 year here still say thailand is number one.Rest my case.

1 hour ago, geisha said:

It does matter. From,what I’ve read here practically all the new cases are Thais and  people from neighboring countries and illegal immigration. There’s a very very small percentage of tourists.

Theres not much to fear from tourist arrivals. Tests are carried out before and after, and generally all these are fully vaccinated , most these days even with the booster. All my friends ,family etc have had the third dose. It is statistically proven that hospital cases in EU ( can’t speak for US or elsewhere) at the moment are the non vaccinated, very elderly, and those with illnesses. Or some that have vaccinated late / recently. Children are now being vaccinated.,

since yesterday, the news is that  Omicron , while being much more infectious , is much less dangerous and lead to much less ICU  treatments.  Again, these are mostly non vaccinated, elderly, illness. They have now had a month of testing and studies of this and hundreds of thousands of examples.

If Thailand gets all its residents ( including the foreign workers etc) fully vaccinated and have started massively their booster jabs , then at least the outcome sounds much better. But have they ?
what are the latest vaccination numbers and booster numbers ? 
i think that tourists have more to fear from Thais than vice versa.

In norway the polish and ukrains want vaccine.BIG problem because they fill op our hospitals.If im in charge they would loose their job and send out.F...idiots.

Imagine, how this circus sounds in thai people's ears, all kind of words, they never heard before, Alpha, Delta, Omnicron, most likely the average Somchai will connect this with that movie, Transformers, where they heard something similar : Optimus, Ultron etc

No wonder, they feel the world is coming to an end.

PS.Not that the average westerner has a deep knowledge of the Greek alphabet

Edited by drenddy

6 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Thailand is able  to handle Omicron variant

one word for this guy   delusional

Hi! You may be a tad direct with your comment, but somehow you may be right too. Having read a few reports in the international media, it sounds that Omicron is far more virulent but with statistically milder symptoms than previous variants. The point really is that this still translates in a steep increase of hospitalisations and deaths. Health services may soon be overwhelmed in France, the UK, the US etc. I doubt that Thailand would cope any better. In addition, the vaccination in Thailand has been to quite an extent through Sinovac or Sinopharm, and those vaccines are reported to offer near zero protection against Omicron - Ouch! (The mRNA vaccines also have a significantly reduced protection but are still the best around, it would appear).

1 hour ago, dallen52 said:

14 on the baht bus the other day...

<deleted>...

That should really not be allowed. One reason for me to move where I can walk to shops and not take public transport. Gone are the days I’d get on a Baht bus. I’d rather pay a taxi once a week if need be.

• Like 1