Grim worst case for Thailand next year if people lower their guard against COVID-19

snoop1130

53 minutes ago, DjSilver said:

It's okay, better to let the people be free than to have restrictions. Start first with removing the ridiculous mandatory face mask.

Now is actually the time to take sensible precautions!  

Freedom is more than just being unrestricted- after all we're free to to jump off a cliff but not many do it.

• Thanks 1

In USA and Canada there are tons of people getting sick from COVID, and there are still many

going to hospitals. The health staff are pretty much burned out, and lots are quitting. There 

are people in all work areas getting sick, pilots, flight attendants, and many other front line workers.

This does not make the situation any less dire. The lack of people able to work is going to affect

so many industries that the effects will be bad all over.

Keep your eyes on the TV programs around the world, more interesting times to come.

• Like 1

Level 3 Alert Issued due to Omicron spread

269882289_10158428585652050_5019932775000196221_n.jpg

The Ministry of Public Health has raised Thailand’s COVID-19 alert to Level 3 amid rising Omicron coronavirus infections, while warning that new daily cases could reach as high as 30,000 in early 2022 unless strict measures are taken to curb the spread.

Dr Kiattiphum Wongrajit, permanent secretary to the Ministry of Public Health, said at a press briefing that the ministry resolved to raise the Kingdom’s alert level after new Omicron cases surged from 104 last Wednesday (Dec 22) to 514 on Monday (Dec 27).

The ministry has also calculated three possible epidemiological scenarios for the COVID-19 situation next year.

For the best-case scenario, Dr Kiattiphum said the number of new daily infections could average around 10,000 as early as late January.

The second-best scenario, which calls for a moderate level of control, would see 15,000-16,000 new daily cases over roughly the same period.

For the worst-case scenario, in which no additional precautions are taken against the highly transmissible variant, the number of new daily cases would reach as high as 30,000.

Dr. Kiattiphum said the fatality rate would increase to 170-180 daily deaths in the worst-case scenario. However, that figure could fall to around 60-70 daily deaths given more stringent measures and accelerated vaccine rollouts.

Projections provided at the briefing showed daily Omicron cases peaking in late January or early February in the best and second-best scenarios, with the outbreak being brought under control within 1-2 months.

For the worst-case scenario, new cases would peak in early March before seeing a decline, with health authorities taking 3-4 months to bring the situation under control.

The permanent secretary also noted that while the ministry did not expect the fatality rate to be as high as for the Delta variant, the highly infectious nature of the Omicron strain meant vulnerable groups should quickly get vaccinated.

Of the 514 confirmed Omicron cases in Thailand, around 90% were asymptomatic or exhibited mild symptoms.

Dr Kiattiphum also assured that there would be sufficient beds and medical supplies to deal with new infections, with 170,000 hospital beds and 15 million favipiravir pills currently available.

Dr Opas Karnkawinpong, di rector-general of the Department of Disease Control (DDC), meanwhile said the alert was raised to Level 3 in order to enable authorities to step up prevention, detection and control efforts.

He added that air conditioned restaurants must ensure their staff are fully vaccinated and take regular antigen tests, while cautioning that the New Year period is likely to see a rise in new cases due to the increased movement of people during the holidays.

Dr Opas also advised offices to maintain work-from-home approaches to limit the spread of infection.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Source: https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158428586377050

NBTlo.jpg
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Yet, I see fools alone in their cars wearing masks. I even saw a guy walking round the park wearing a mask, with no one in hearing distance of him, stupid. 

Issue is when we go out we try to social distance but it never works out when folks decide they want to be in that empty space. Much like folks in restaurants sitting as close to each other packed into a booth 6 instead of 3.

19 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

It will probably be at the highest level and more.

Not many I see are doing anything bars, clubs, restaurants open no mask or distance a free for all for everyone hey hey hey lets party!.

Hear, hear... let's party! :partytime2: :burp:

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Still double masking myself with a KN95 and a Cloth KN95 over the paper one on our trips out. Gotta love the looks I get from the unmasked foreigners.  The look of "This guy is afraid of the world". Nope, sorry but being safe and protecting oneself while enjoying life is not an issue for me.      

Pretty sure masks are more likely to protect other people from your germs rather than vice versa, I always wear a mask at my workplace and I still got covid (Delta 3 weeks ago, horrific,  still suffering) from a work colleague despite the mask, no one vould believe it as I was one of only 2 or 3 out of a hundred employees who continued to wear one , 18 at my work got it, so 70 odd who didn't wear masks avoided it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Not according to my mum, who is terrified of this new, deadly strain, as told to her by the experts on British telly. 

Not only her but the majority of the world should watch I love Lucy reruns instead of the so called news

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adywhu said:

Pretty sure masks are more likely to protect other people from your germs rather than vice versa, I always wear a mask at my workplace and I still got covid (Delta 3 weeks ago, horrific,  still suffering) from a work colleague despite the mask, no one vould believe it as I was one of only 2 or 3 out of a hundred employees who continued to wear one , 18 at my work got it, so 70 odd who didn't wear masks avoided it!

Opinions vary greatly amongst how and where one picks up the virus.,,,,,so many different ways even wearing a mask.  Yet you and others keep spouting the rhetoric as "The mask protects others from you, yet it works the other way around as well, unless you never breathe in.......

• Like 1

Just now, Airalee said:

The goalposts have been moved from deaths to hospitalizations (which are also low).  If the hospitalization fear mongering doesn’t work, then it will be shifted to “long Omicron”.  If that doesn’t pan out, they’ll come up with something, rest assured.

how about the new acronym for WHO the "World Has Omicron"

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

They do help insecure people; they can now hold their heads up high in society, with no fear of being recognized. 

I always thought that the masks (usually seen on women from time to time in the past) were to hide their faces until the nose job bruising healed.