Wise transfers getting very slow

There appears to have been a very long holiday in England. I applied for a large transfer on Friday at 10am UK time. I transferred the money from my bank in Scotland immediately and Wise acknowledged receipt at 10.15, but advised me that I would not receive the money until 28th due to holidays. On 28th Wise Emailed me to inform that payment would not arrive until 29th. I made further enquires and learnt that Barclays Bank (which Wise use) had taken advantage of that long holiday to work on their computer system. I suspect that that work went wrong and delayed Barclays resumption of operations. 

My payment was sent at 10.26 UK time on Wednesday and was in my Thai account at 0800am the next day

#

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Just done a transfer from the UK to Bangkok Bank. Before I did the transfer it said it would arrive on 4th January. When I did the transfer it arrived in 6 seconds, according to their email.

That is strange as the email WISE sent out said that should not happen.

Did you use Funds For Long Term Stay in Thailand as the reason for transfer like instructed?

3 hours ago, racyrick said:

That is strange as the email WISE sent out said that should not happen.

Did you use Funds For Long Term Stay in Thailand as the reason for transfer like instructed?

Monthly expenses. I have no idea what you mean with your first sentence. WISE said you should not receive a transfer in six seconds? The code used was MOB instead of the usual IB (Interbank), but I also have no idea what that means as it isn't listed at the back of my passbook as a code.
EDIT: Google tells me it's Money Other Bank.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

On 12/28/2021 at 2:42 PM, scubascuba3 said:

nothing to do with borderless or not, Santander are doing checks on transfers, simple as that, I've talked to them about it, one day someone tried to send 80x£1,000 transfers in one day to avoid the checks

But if Santander were really that bothered about transfer payments being made to Wise from (presumably) the security angle, then all that surely they would need to do would be to set up some automatic verification process whereby transferors first had to enter a 6-digit code sent to their mobiles before a payment could be authorised. For Santander to expect transferors to have to twiddle their thumbs in front of laptop or mobile screens until some clerk shows up at Head Office at 9am the next working day in order to browse through the checking account with magnifying glass in hand as their first task of the day strikes me as being a touch antediluvian in the 3rd decade of the 21st Century!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

But if Santander were really that bothered about transfer payments being made to Wise from (presumably) the security angle, then all that surely they would need to do would be to set up some automatic verification process whereby transferors first had to enter a 6-digit code sent to their mobiles before a payment could be authorised. For Santander to expect transferors to have to twiddle their thumbs in front of laptop or mobile screens until some clerk shows up at Head Office at 9am the next working day in order to browse through the checking account with magnifying glass in hand as their first task of the day strikes me as being a touch antediluvian in the 3rd decade of the 21st Century!

Yes It's not ideal, not transparent what's going on. I only found out because i called them because the transfer left my account but Wise didn't receive, usually it's seconds. It had been moved to their checking account because of a high volume of transfers to Wise coincided with my transfer. They do use an OTP code to set up the payee then it normally just works, anyway banks have to do AML checks, fair enough

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RafPinto said:

I did my monthly transfer through Wise last Friday.

Message showed that money available on Tuesday 04th of January but ones transfer was done, message came that payment will be credited on Wednesday 05th.

I initiated a transfer equal to about 110k THB in my home country currency yesterday (Monday), and received the Wise email confirming that my money was on its way to Thailand at 9:25 this morning, with my Bangkok Bank account subsequently being credited at 14:01. On the basis of our respective experiences it doesn't look like Wise have any system in place for processing transfers in order of receipt over extended holiday periods. But I do hope that Friday's transfer is safely credited to your bank account tomorrow.

I've just done a small (ish) transfer just profits from Crypto that I send monthly. By the time I had logged into SCB app (knowing from past experience its instant) yep it was already there

So just the time its taken me to enter 6 digits into the app. Superb service. Time after time I wonder what on earth some are doing to claim such delays

On 12/30/2021 at 4:52 PM, OJAS said:

So £1,000 seems to be the max for guaranteed super-quick transfers in the case of us Brits, then!

About 1100 pounds max. unless you use Kbank Bangkok or SCB for ANY transfer to Thailand from tomorrow..see my previous post.

On 12/31/2021 at 7:46 AM, keithcresswell said:

Coincidentally I just received this email from Wise. I might try using them againScreenshot_20211231-074400_Outlook.thumb.jpg.10dac203d13ade4d673d734097adbcbe.jpg

Presumably this explains why the kbank teller number/code in my bankbook for my wise transfers suddenly changed last year to GPS from MCL?