Phuket: 3,000 - 4,000 tourists arriving daily - about 20-30 with Omicron

webfact

13 minutes ago, Rhacsyn said:

Most in Phuket who had two sinovac jabs were given AZ as the booster

That was one thing that was brought up before. That Omicron was very mild compared to previous variants, but that was reported out of mRNA vaccinated areas like South Africa and Israel, and that Thailand might panic due to majority of population vaccinated with Sinovac/Sinopharm, which might have very different response to infection.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

As I stated in another post, I don't believe the stats.............as an example, if the owner of a large bar in Bangla, who is supposed to regularly test his staff, finds one who is Covid/Omicron positive, do you really think they are going to report it to the authorities and risk being closed down and losing whatever income they were getting??

OR, do they send the positive staff member home and carry on regardless (or if the staff member is a particularly good one, get them to wear a mask and just carry on)?

Food for thought.

How many farang  with covid go into quarantine  hospital? Only those forced to by severe illness or forced to by medical authorities. Most don't. Places like Phuket  and Pattaya unfortunately have more than their fair share of anti social farang who think they are above  the law.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Tom H said:

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/three-doses-of-chinas-sinovac-do-pretty-much-nothing-against-omicron-study

Thailand may have an issue of greater dimensions….lets wait for Dr Yongs opinion about that in 4 months.

I'm not saying Sinovac is good. But that study, as far as I can tell, is measuring antibody levels only. There are other aspects of protection from vaccines.

2 hours ago, Tom H said:

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/three-doses-of-chinas-sinovac-do-pretty-much-nothing-against-omicron-study

Thailand may have an issue of greater dimensions….lets wait for Dr Yongs opinion about that in 4 months.

I'm not saying Sinovac is good. But that study, as far as I can tell, is measuring antibody levels only. There are other aspects of protection from vaccines.

It reminds of King Canute upon his throne by the sea shore and commanding the incoming tide to halt and not wet his feet and robes. The Omicron rate will continue to rise just as the tide dashed over Canute's feet and legs without respect. Some things just cannot be held back.

2 hours ago, Trip Hop said:

Spoke to a mate earlier who arrived on Samui yesterday and he said it’s dead?

I’m not sure which part of Samui your friend is referring to, but it’s not dead. I’ve been here a year now and started noticing an increase in tourism beginning in October. Here in Lamai where I live, restaurants, bars - some with live music - massage shops and gyms are open. Some bars are open until 2:00 am and these places aren’t even trying to pretend they’re restaurants. Even the police make the random appearance on foot patrol, smile, take a few selfies and move on the next soi. Not every place is open, but it’s far from dead. 

• Thanks 1

As much as I love Thailand, the risk of being exposed or infected by someone on the plane, or of getting a false positive PCR test, is too great, considering the consequences .....extended quarantine or a stay in hospital at the Thai Authorities' pleasure, at my expense.

Looks like another wasted year, which I can ill afford at the age of 77 !

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

So it bags the question of what the use of the PCR tests before the flight and the quarantine if those tourist are still being/getting infected i ask...

before departure it is to avoid infesting the plane and to protect other passengers. this is the minimum that a quality airline should ask for.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

It's in Thailand already, and looking at how quickly it's spread in other countries there's nothing that can realistically be done to stop it. I'd suggest the vulnerable try to stay at home and avoid contact as much as possible and wait it out. Everyone else should just get on with their lives, it's silly to get terrified about a virus that causes symptoms similar to the common cold in most people. If the Gauteng experience is anything to go by, the worst will be over quite quickly, and then the vulnerable can come out of hiding.

this is the immediate effect of COVID, you forget the 30% long COVID.

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

How many farang  with covid go into quarantine  hospital? Only those forced to by severe illness or forced to by medical authorities. Most don't. Places like Phuket  and Pattaya unfortunately have more than their fair share of anti social farang who think they are above  the law.

How many farangs without a helmet when there is hardly any who dare at home ...

The smallest motorbike here is 125cm³, how many farangs have the driving license for it ?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Bingo.

Plus is also begs the question, how much longer will sandbox be allowed to continue as it's likely some Omicroners will be slipping through the net.

The videos on line show a lot of Thai Ladies on Bangla Road at night NOT WEARING  MASKS as well as foreigners,  so would that contribute to the spread of any virus, oh gee, im not sure.

Obviously very little oversite in favour of grabbing the money.

Just now, vVDB said:

How many farangs without a helmet when there is hardly any who dare at home ...

The smallest motorbike here is 125cm³, how many farangs have the driving license for it ?

Helmetless farang numbers down substantially in Pattaya  thanks to police. Driving  license regulations I dunno..But there is no comparison  between Covid-19  law breaker superspreaders and motor cyclists.

16 minutes ago, vVDB said:

before departure it is to avoid infesting the plane and to protect other passengers. this is the minimum that a quality airline should ask for.

You're theory is flawed.

If you take a test 72 hours prior to travel and it's negative it's a redundant test IMO, someone may be in the incubation preriod and become + within hours after the PCR is taken and therefore travel totally infected and spreading, there may be multiple people per flight in this situation...

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Helmetless farang numbers down substantially in Pattaya  thanks to police. Driving  license regulations I dunno..But there is no comparison  between Covid-19  law breaker superspreaders and motor cyclists.

Totally agree with the helmet wearers, many more use them now compared to 'back in the day'.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ibtg68 said:

I’m not sure which part of Samui your friend is referring to, but it’s not dead. I’ve been here a year now and started noticing an increase in tourism beginning in October. Here in Lamai where I live, restaurants, bars - some with live music - massage shops and gyms are open. Some bars are open until 2:00 am and these places aren’t even trying to pretend they’re restaurants. Even the police make the random appearance on foot patrol, smile, take a few selfies and move on the next soi. Not every place is open, but it’s far from dead. 

It’s dead to what it’s normally been like for the last 10 years over Xmas/New Year pre Covid and one of the reasons that I’m not there now myself? I’m good friends with about 6-7 Thai & farang bar owners in Lamai and for over a year they’ve all telling me it’s dead as a dodo. The Outback is closed and there were 2 people in the Bondi Bar last night. There’s a couple of bars open in Had Lamai 1, the Boxing Ring and Dogsh!t Alley but hardly any customers? <deleted>, even McDonalds have closed their doors? Not that McD’s is a big loss but it is a good measure of exactly how dead the place is compared to what it used to be?

6 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Once you catch Covid - it takes a while to show itself in a test.

We have had guests be negative before they leave their home country, negative after the one day Test and Go but positive on day 5.

That is why Thailand has stopped the Test and Go - it is not long enough for quarantine.

This makes sense and, for once, I think Thailand is playing it reasonably safe (if only they would not change their regulations so often!). From what I can read in the media, Omicron takes up to sthg like 3 days to manifest itself, that would make it totally possible for someone to test negative just before flying to Thailand, and negative again on arrival - but manifest infection 1 or 2 days later.

From the same media reading, I get it that Omicron will fade out within 5-7 days from the moment it declares itself. This is all +/- 1 or 2 days obviously, I'm not an expert and I'm just recollecting....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldPedro said:

As much as I love Thailand, the risk of being exposed or infected by someone on the plane, or of getting a false positive PCR test, is too great, considering the consequences .....extended quarantine or a stay in hospital at the Thai Authorities' pleasure, at my expense.

Looks like another wasted year, which I can ill afford at the age of 77 !

Reading your post I immediately thought of poster Xylophone's signature line.....

"Isn't it amazing how many people tread through life carefully so that they can arrive at death's door safely."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

That was one thing that was brought up before. That Omicron was very mild compared to previous variants, but that was reported out of mRNA vaccinated areas like South Africa and Israel, and that Thailand might panic due to majority of population vaccinated with Sinovac/Sinopharm, which might have very different response to infection.

Recent studies indicate that Sinovac, Sinopharm and Sputnik offer near zero immunity against Omicron.

5 hours ago, Guderian said:

It's in Thailand already, and looking at how quickly it's spread in other countries there's nothing that can realistically be done to stop it. I'd suggest the vulnerable try to stay at home and avoid contact as much as possible and wait it out. Everyone else should just get on with their lives, it's silly to get terrified about a virus that causes symptoms similar to the common cold in most people. If the Gauteng experience is anything to go by, the worst will be over quite quickly, and then the vulnerable can come out of hiding.

Agre GUD ... Vaccinate everyone as fast as possible and guard the vulnerable till then. 

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

So it bags the question of what the use of the PCR tests before the flight and the quarantine if those tourist are still being/getting infected i ask...

The PCR test is within 72 hours of leaving.,From the moment tou do your test to arriving in Phuket, there are potentially 3 days where you can catch the virus if you are not careful, shopping, saying goodbye to family and friends, having a last night out or restaurant, the trip to airport, airport queues, etc etc . This is what I would usually do before leaving home. Not this time. I’m going to isolate , Finnish my stuff to do well before, stay out of peoples way, call friends and family before leaving. Special airport taxi for me, ( plexiglass between you and driver). Great attention and we’ll masked at airport . Left, the flight. There also, I’ve choses class and seat and will stay masked. Ok, you think I’m crazy maybe, but if I get the dreaded virus ( I’m triple vaccinated and highly insured ) then I’m really not lucky . 

9 hours ago, xylophone said:

As I stated in another post, I don't believe the stats.............as an example, if the owner of a large bar in Bangla, who is supposed to regularly test his staff, finds one who is Covid/Omicron positive, do you really think they are going to report it to the authorities and risk being closed down and losing whatever income they were getting??

OR, do they send the positive staff member home and carry on regardless (or if the staff member is a particularly good one, get them to wear a mask and just carry on)?

Food for thought.

That bar owner is doing the right thing