ATM Scam- Be very careful!

What was that old saying? Finders keepers, losers weepers.

Or there was a song by Commander Cody, "if you snooze, you lose". Don't you fall asleep, somebody's watching something you want to keep...

In all likelihood there's a cover on the money dispensing slot to prevent water incursion that the OP didn't figure out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MUSTYJACK said:

Only a person with scant regard to their finances would use an ATM in Thailand unless it was actually located inside the premises of a bank.  

A few years ago I had several unauthorized withdrawals at an ATM in Thailand. I don't remember what city but I knew I had not visited that city. Actually, they may have flagged the withdrawals and contacted me as they were questionable, I don't remember.

Quickly corrected by Charles Schwab Bank with no hassles.

I have made hundreds of ATM withdrawals in Thailand, even on Walking Street, so pretty low risk.

And I have had fraudulent access to my bank accounts in the US as well, so in my experience Thailand isn't necessarily more risky.

Your observation is correct. When reporting the fraudulent withdrawals the bank told me that it is safer to make withdrawals at bank lobby ATMs.

Even still, although I don't think I have "scant regard for my finances" and I will continue to use ATMs.

Edited by cdemundo
Specified "in Thailand"

19 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well in 16 years I've never had a problem and no bank where I live has a ATM inside.

Congratulations!

Most people will never have a problem, but some most certainly do and  they will rapidly enter a seemingly endless vortex of Kafkaesque confusion as the bank manager, his staff and the police cough politely, shrug their shoulders, shake their heads, grin inanely, mutter "falang", look the other way and claim it's the victims fault and is most certainly not their responsibility.

Far better to whenever possible avoid the grubby machines outside the 7 11, overlooked as they are by the flotsam and jetsam of society that tends to loiter outside these stores, especially after dark, and use a machine inside a bank.

????

Edited by MUSTYJACK
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I think the Ops imagination is running wild with this one, when a machine is faulty it sometimes closes up, did with me, 10k in question will most likely be refunded

Yes, I had a problem with an airport ATM in Indonesia.  Made all the right noises, but no cash, and my account was debited.

I sent a photo of the ATM, plus location details to my Thai bank.

They said they would investigate.  Apparently all banks check ATM balances at end of day.

It took 7 weeks, but I got the full amount refunded direct to my account.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MORROROCK said:

When I tried to retrieve the cash a plastic cover blocked access to the slot.

This is the stage where I would have removed the cover, why didn't you simply smash it off? It clearly isn't supposed to be there.....

I always check the card slot for any attachments and now due to your report I will check the slot before I use a machine. I've never found any attachments so far but it I did I would remove them.

If you were to make a withdrawal and couldn't get the money or simply forgot to take the cash and walked away (this does happen occasionally) then the machine only waits a certain amount of time (not very long) before it takes the cash back into the machine, this probably differs between each ATM model depending on how they configure it.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MUSTYJACK said:

Only a person with scant regard to their finances would use an ATM in Thailand unless it was actually located inside the premises of a bank.  

Well, I must have scant regard to my finances as I have used the local ATMs at my local 7Elevens for many years. I haven't had a problem with it since 2005 when I started using ATMs in Thailand. Any skimmers or fake touch pads attached to the machines should be quite obvious, but you won't find these down as your local 24 hour store where there are always people. If I needed a large amount, I would use an ATM outside my own bank.

The only scam I've come across so far is a 10 baht ATM fee which started a couple of days ago at a Bangkok Bank ATM, and earlier this year at the yellow Krungsri ATMs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Well, I must have scant regard to my finances as I have used the local ATMs at my local 7Elevens for many years. I haven't had a problem with it since 2005 when I started using ATMs in Thailand. Any skimmers or fake touch pads attached to the machines should be quite obvious, but you won't find these down as your local 24 hour store where there are always people. If I needed a large amount, I would use an ATM outside my own bank.

The only scam I've come across so far is a 10 baht ATM fee which started a couple of days ago at a Bangkok Bank ATM, and earlier this year at the yellow Krungsri ATMs. 

I lost a card once  here in an ATM. The card was replaced  that afternoon. Banks give excellent  service here compared to UK.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Some posts are not useful because ...... and innacuracies to such an extent they bare no resemblance to reality.lol

..... and talking of inaccuracies, your post above has 2.

"innacuracies" and "bare"

Anyway, Happy New Year Mr. Hammer. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, bluebluewater said:

They walk away with your 10K and you say nothing?  And then don't even report it to the bank?   But are willing to take it up with your USA bank immediately? Sounds mighty queer to me.  I'm not sure I'm believing any of this.   

Your hope for pics/video from the CCTV is going to go away fast me thinks

Some people might say: I don't believe  a word of it!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JayClay said:

And what's more, in Thailand the ATMs don't return the customer's card until the cash has been taken. 

That's true for *some* of the newer ATMs. It depends on the machine and how its been configured. I've also seen it configured in the opposite way on some machines where it won't dispense the cash until the card is removed. Then there's the variation of ATMs that only accept chip cards, which aren't held inside the machine at all.

18 minutes ago, MUSTYJACK said:

..... and talking of inaccuracies, your post above has 2.

"innacuracies" and "bare"

Anyway, Happy New Year Mr. Hammer. ????

Perhaps you should police  the content  of your posts before you police my grammar and spelling/typos. The meaning was perfectly clear. They are irrelevant in the context of your  diatribe that you must admit is not just  innacurate but very eccentric. In what world  do you live where 7/11s are dangerous? Where after dark, 7pm is dangerous? Have you ever been to Thailand? It gets dark around 6 30pm! What do mean about low class people outside 7/11s? They are customers about to enter  or just leaving the shop! I don't mean to be impolite  but nothing about your post makes any sense: not in the real world. I understand  you might be confused  or depressed but if one if my elderly  relatives talked like  you do I would  get them help and consider counselling and other care. Stay well and you can always use this forum  to ask for help.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have you ever been to Thailand? 

Lived there for 18 years until the pandemic, and will return in a couple of months.

In what world  do you live where 7/11s are dangerous? 

I never said 7/11s are dangerous, but one must be aware of ones surroundings and the people in it,  especially late at night in cities and when using ATMs. It is the same in any country and is just common sense.

What do mean about low class people outside 7/11s? 

Well, it's not Harrods is it?

I understand  you might be confused  or depressed 

I am neither confused nor depressed.

you can always use this forum  to ask for help.

Your sage advice has been noted

Edited by MUSTYJACK
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, DrDave said:

That's true for *some* of the newer ATM

Nope. It's true for every ATM I've used here since 2004. I've lost many a ATM card over the time, especially when I was commuting between England (where they work in the more sensible way of giving you your card before cash) and here.

Krungsri, at least, have recently started speaking a message (in Thai) reminding you not to forget your card. Amusingly they also do this when using their cardless withdrawal service...

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MUSTYJACK said:

Lived there for 18 years until the pandemic, and will return in a couple of months.

I never said 7/11s are dangerous, but one must be aware of ones surroundings and the people in it,  especially late at night in cities and when using ATMs. It is the same in any country and is just common sense.

Well, it's not Harrods is it?

I am neither confused nor depressed.

Your sage advice has been noted

So  your problem/issue ATM scam  has not occurred here in Thailand?  Interesting !

• Like 1