Thailand reports 3,112 new COVID-19 cases, 12 deaths, 2,921 recoveries

Jonathan Fairfield

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It has affected many folks in different ways.  Both my children in the US have had Omicron, one healed in 3 days and the other after a week is still battling the symptoms.  However, as my daughter, the Nurse practitioner is seeing, it is a severe upper respiratory cold with some having night sweats, but if you take the right precautions it does go away fairly quickly versus the Delta and other variants.

I'm sorry to hear that. Hope they fully recover.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Well the AstraZenica vaccine is an adenovirus vaccine as well as J&J, there are a few others in production as well.  It has never been about MRNA vaccines only and maybe that is why folks continue on about the vaccines being experimental, when they really are not.

I'll still hold my breath for the Sanofi-GSK-Pasteur regular non-mRNA one, if you don't mind me. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I was just saying my 3 colleagues who have it, say it's no worse than a cold.  Not everyone has the same reaction.  I'm happy you've recovered and sorry you had worse symptoms.  We're all likely to get it at some stage, hopefully most of us will be luckier.

Amen to that. I suspect your right, we will all face it at some point and all of us hope we will come through it ok. A small minority will not, i hope to not be one of those

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes people really respond differently to this.

My dad, mom, brother, his wife and their daughter all got it.

Dad hear condition and other stuff, mom is a heavy smoker, brother diabetic and some other diseases, his wife strong never sick.

(dad and mom just had booster shots a week before)

All of them had symptoms except my brother. For mom and dad just like a flue a few days bad and sick. However, his wife had it far worse trouble breathing, and really sick lasted 2 weeks and now long covid, total loss of stamina and lack of concentration. So for those who say its flue, i disagree. Its a total mystery why some have no problems and others who you don't expect to have problems with have a lot.

All of them vaccinated of course and all got it around the same time.  (a few weeks back and omricon).

I am not afraid but the fact that its so unpredictable makes me not want to catch it of course. Id normally say no worries as I am not overweight eat healthy, exercise enough but having seen that my brothers wife who really is never sick got it badly makes me cautious.

A genetic lottery perhaps.

No way is Chrimbocron just a cold- it can still produce a very harsh URTI.  I've had a few like that in my life- most recently Nov 2019 in Bangkok.  It was so severe that some of us on the forum reckoned it was Covid19, but it wasn't.  Crucially though, lungs tend not to be the primary place of infection as with the other variants. It'll see off some old uns though, unfortunately.

Luckily as per some comments above Mr Omicron does not have hospitalizations that accompanied Delta. 

However this will exploded numbers wise. Has everywhere else.

We are on Samet. Lots of tourists here. I'm very surprised..

Just now owner tells me Swedish guy 54, who entered test and go with negative test has gone to Rayong and tested positive (Omicron).

Lot's of people I know in Pattaya have or have had it in the last few weeks - it's ripped through my small circle of friends very quickly, almost clinically.

Most are reporting feeling exhausted, sore muscles or bones and a menu of other cold-like symptoms.

All have been at least double vaxxed, most recently with either AZ or Pfizer. Some had had boosters. Mid 60's-Mid 40's and all healthy pre-Covid.

Recovery time for all is 5-7 days with most reporting the worst thing about the experience so far is having to isolate.

I can imagine some tourists who almost feel incentivised to keep going out, even with symptoms because their holiday is short and they only get one shot at it and are fearful of coming to the attention of public health.

I feel strongly that there are very big numbers out there and if you have frail or elderly loved ones moving around, they may be at greater risk than the numbers indicate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NanaSomchai said:

I'll still hold my breath for the Sanofi-GSK-Pasteur regular non-mRNA one, if you don't mind me. Thanks.

Surprising you said you don't know the difference between mrna vaccines and the many others which are not yet you do know about this one and have so much faith in its success that you're holding out for it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Also not so good if you're not retired and work in an industry that relies on tourism and expats coming over for long stays. In my case not so good because of school for my daughter as its bound to be closed again soon. They are back on Wed from the xmas holidays but with Omicron now in Phuket how long that will last is questionable.

I feel for anyone in that sector at the moment. I know quite a few Thai business owners that are really struggling and relying on loans and/or being propped up by their sponsors? To be a falang in that sector must be twice as hard. 

3 years ago, the G/F wanted to move her (or ours as she refers to it) restaurant business smack into tourist central in Pattaya? I took a look at high baht, the already declining falang tourists combined with the sky high rents and told her that it wasn’t the right time. Looking back it was the right decision even without Covid and I’m grateful that she listened.

However, even though her trade is almost 100% from Thais, it has still dropped substantially due to a lot of people simply not having work themselves?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tramboy said:

Understand your point but cases are a leading indicator of hospitalisations, ICU admissions and deaths so it is very useful for those doing planning.

All that said, it with disincentives to report and even (officially) test, statistics can quickly become a nonsense.

In addition its only because of number counting that statistics on how mild or not can be derived.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

If you say so today i walked around Thong lor area, looking for a barber. Everyone was wearing a mask except some female foreigner with her husband. Hubby was wearing it she had it on her chin. Maybe just luck of the draw, probably many Thais that don't wear them but all the Thais i saw had them on and except that one female the other foreigners too.

So you saw two farang not wearing masks properly.

The guy I quoted stated this....

"Most Farangs I see walk around with no mask, selfish pricks".

9 minutes ago, Petey11 said:

Agree with that. Manager I worked with, 64yrs old, diabetic, drinker, overweight, said it was like a cold, didn't really bother him and this was delta. Another manager, 32yrs old, no conditions, fit and healthy knocked him for six, two weeks quite bad and still suffering a month later. I call it a lottery virus. Brother in law fit, healthy, carrying a little weightht but not obese, said to his wife he was feeling better after about 8 days, 6 hours later he was dead, deteriorated that quickly and due to the demand on the health system ambulance couldn't get there quick enough to do anything.

No background to this but a tweet just now from an ICU doctor in the US. A reminder for the its just a cold crowd.

Before I intubated another terrified younger COVID patient this evening I told her… ‘You are currently surrounded by the best humans I know. You couldn’t be in a safer place.’

https://twitter.com/GrahamCarlos/status/1477438709255573508

• Thanks 1

How can Australia report yesterday around 35000 confirmed, a country of less than 30 million, but Thailand has a figure of 3100 a country of 68 plus million?  Hmmmmm, election anyone ? 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, GBW said:

How can Australia report yesterday around 35000 confirmed, a country of less than 30 million, but Thailand has a figure of 3100 a country of 68 plus million?  Hmmmmm, election anyone ? 

Perhaps the PM can answer that.........or maybe not.

PM says Thailand will advance based on achievements of last year, despite slowdown in tourist arrivals

Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said he is confident that 2022 will be a year of the “sustainable extension” of his government’s achievements during the previous year, despite the crises and challenges confronted by the country.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pm-says-thailand-will-advance-based-on-achievements-of-last-year-despite-slowdown-in-tourist-arrivals/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, GBW said:

And denmark with about 6 million people more hen 20.000 new cases everyday.UK 190.000..france 210.000...and so on..

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Surprising you said you don't know the difference between mrna vaccines and the many others which are not yet you do know about this one and have so much faith in its success that you're holding out for it.

Let's just say that it is a... Patriotic choice.

Tomorrow's numbers should be Interesting as it's a Monday and still a holiday.  One can only hope there is not a huge dump on Tuesday of case numbers if Tomorrow's numbers continue in line with the past 3 days.

Just spoke to a friend in Jomtien, he said anecdotaly ATK cases are through the roof and now even gyms are asking for an ATK test before they will let you in.

Edited by ThailandRyan

Self certification on covid reports is really worthless , a bit like an in house audit . The W.H.O. should be using different tactics that are more reliable and without a conflict of interest . To get a true picture of a nations covid infection rates should come by way of a non announced separitist inspection or else the info from within is worthless . Unless from a trusted western country  such as the UK etc. The Asian figures are not reliable to be polite .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

Sputnik... would you really inject yourself with either Sinovac junk or Sputnik?

You critisie Sputnik, but you didn't even now it's not an mrna vaccine LOL

Better educate yourself before you comment further.