Thailand not mentioned as American's most sort after holiday destinations announced.

steven100

The No. 1 overseas destination that Americans are searching is Puerto Rico — technically a U.S. territory but still a flight or cruise away for those on the mainland. ParkSleepFly tracked nearly 1.69 million searches for the island. Rounding out the top five spots were the Maldives, with 491,200 searches; Costa Rica, at 384,600; Aruba, at 379,600; and Mexico, at 361,300.

image.png.9c712aa3677fc6fb717063c367e9406e.png

ParkSleepFly also looked at which countries are falling or rising and in popularity among U.S. travelers. Searches for China travel have plummeted 75% — perhaps not surprisingly, given media coverage of coronavirus, along with current geopolitical tensions. “Following the emergence of Covid-19, China imposed strict border policy and suspended all visas on arrival, so it’s not surprising to see a decline in popularity,” the site wrote in its blog.

In second place for less interest from Americans is Italy, with a 59% drop-off, which ParkSleepFly attributed to the country’s numerous Covid lockdowns this year. At No. 3, Hong Kong — with some of the world’s strictest pandemic border restrictions — saw a 54% fall.

On the bright side, searches increased significantly for overseas or foreign destinations such as the U.S. Virgin Islands, up 98%; the Maldives, up 72%; and Indonesia, with 61% growth. Overseas or foreign cities and regions seeing the highest growth in interest include Saint Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands, up 77%; Toronto, up 45%; and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, up 41%.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/31/where-americans-want-to-travel-abroad-and-where-theyve-lost-interest.html

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ezzra said:

Nothing really enticing or grabbing in that list , all well traveled places, i myself would bother go to most on the list, matter of taste i guess, as for Thailand, Thailand has very little to offer right now because of many factors, Cambodia and Vietnam would be better choices in my opinions, but again thees are MY choices...

I think Bora Bora would be quite nice being part of the French Polynesian islands,  but i suspect after three days it could appear fairly boring as not much to do there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

What does "sort after" mean?  Is this UK English for sorted out, or dies the writer mean sought after?  I dont really  understand  whats being talked about.  Are people looking on the internet  and sorting out preferences?

sort after =    to look for .....  wanted ...  preferrered .

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, steven100 said:

desired =  wanted ,  to look for ,  preferred

I think you're missing the point. The heading says 'sort' but the word should be 'sought'.

And I agree with the above. Difficult and risky (potentially very expensive) entry requirements, plus taking away all the fun things has killed Thai tourism for the time being. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WEBBYB808 said:

What does "sort after" mean?  Is this UK English for sorted out, or dies the writer mean sought after?  I dont really  understand  whats being talked about.  Are people looking on the internet  and sorting out preferences?

I guess, it was meant to read "sought after". Really sad that writers at CNBC cannot spell simple English words anymore. Unfortunately, such spelling (but also grammar errors) seem to be more common in online articles these days.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

"...or dies the writer"......????

• Haha 1

WHATS up this thread SORT of DIES now.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I guess, it was meant to read "sought after". Really sad that writers at CNBC cannot spell simple English words anymore. Unfortunately, such spelling (but also grammar errors) seem to be more common in online articles these days.

CNBC wrote the word sought correctly !

The spelling mistake “ sort/sought “ was made closer to home, from our resident government sympathiser . 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

Nothing really enticing or grabbing in that list , all well traveled places (...)

Actually, there are one or two places on the list which could also be on my list for 2022, as I haven't been there yet. And yes, one is in Mexico, which for my compatriots is a really 'exotic' place, unlike Thailand, where 'everyone and their dog' has already been to.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

It is hard to imagine anyone coming to Thailand for holiday these days with all the difficult paperwork, tests, and insurance. Then they they stand a very good chance of spending 2 weeks in captivity for a false positive or Covid with no symptoms, paying for the privilege of jail as well as losing the money they spent on their hotel. Too big a risk

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bang saen guy said:

It is hard to imagine anyone coming to Thailand for holiday these days with all the difficult paperwork, tests, and insurance. Then they they stand a very good chance of spending 2 weeks in captivity for a false positive or Covid with no symptoms, paying for the privilege of jail as well as losing the money they spent on their hotel. Too big a risk

Yes.

It's for people that MUST come here and masochists.