COVID-19: Thailand reports 2,927 new coronavirus cases, 18 deaths, 2,903 recoveries

webfact

1 hour ago, Petey11 said:

270607899_2219564764862008_9100291206515

From Pattaya news yesterday on story about Omicron in Banglumung becoming the dominant variant. ATK at 211, one has to wonder how many more ATK went unreported.

https://thepattayanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/270607899_2219564764862008_9100291206515762058_n-1024x587.jpg

when is a test not a test - maybe Prayuth or Anutin can answer that one

haven't heard too much from Phuket lately - have they also stopped reporting 

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Ditto on that.

I'm in the same position, daughters school due back wed, is they decide to close that while keeping bars, restaurants and venues open here in Phuket then it shows their utter lack of any sense of logic, let alone the needs of the kids and older students who are critical levels in their education for progression into Uni.

well the people in charge believe they have done ok without an education so it is likely low on the priority - I would like to see an IQ test introduced for people seeking public office - as it stands 7/11 staff need qualifications to get their jobs very obviously the people running running the country don't

• Like 1

Anutin, the Minister of Public Health, said he will propose to the CCSA to extend the suspension of the Test & Go program to 31st January due to the worldwide increase in Omicron. In addition, he proposes a 10th January deadline for Test & Go travellers to arrive in Thailand.

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1477875518535917569

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I've seen reports of Omicron being up to 8 times more infectious than Delta. It also has a doubling period of 2-3 days. Seems Thailand, according to the numbers, is quite different to other countries experiencing Omicron. Absolute paucity of testing and now hiding ATK numbers (after of course hiding testing numbers) may have some play in this. From day 1 I have never believed the numbers.

Worth a look is Campbell's latest video "Omicron is displacing delta science."

That's why they call it 'Amazing Thailand.'

We're only going to know the true scale by hospital numbers in a couple of weeks' time.  And that will likely be good news anyway, even though by that time hundreds of thousands may be infected.  Nevertheless if the authorities have failed to adequately vaccinate older people things could get nasty.

Given the relatively mild symptoms which are indistinguishable from any other URTI in most cases, I suspect we will not be seeing any real effort to accurately report case numbers.  Indeed I doubt the country even has enough test kits.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, smedly said:

when is a test not a test - maybe Prayuth or Anutin can answer that one

haven't heard too much from Phuket lately - have they also stopped reporting 

Below is a screenshot from Phuket times last night. Similar numbers for many days. 64  community cases, 27 sandbox and 15 T & G.

Screenshot_20220103-054721.png

Omicron cases surge in Thailand during New Year break

The number of Omicron cases in Thailand passed the 1,000 mark on New Year’s Day as expected, the Department of Medical Sciences said on Sunday.

The department’s director-general Dr Supakit Sirilak said that from November 1 to January 1, the number of Omicron cases in Thailand stood at 1,551, 779 of whom are foreigners.

Supakit added that the top five provinces with the highest Omicron cases are Bangkok (395), Kalasin (195), Chonburi (148), Phuket (125) and Roi Et (119).

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40010709

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The number of Omicron cases in Thailand passed the 1,000 mark on New Year’s Day as expected, the Department of Medical Sciences said on Sunday.

The department’s director-general Dr Supakit Sirilak said that from November 1 to January 1, the number of Omicron cases in Thailand stood at 1,551, 779 of whom are foreigners.

Supakit added that the top five provinces with the highest Omicron cases are Bangkok (395), Kalasin (195), Chonburi (148), Phuket (125) and Roi Et (119).

And all of these cases are isolated where, in a hospital, Hospitel, home isolation, or where?

• Like 1

With Anutin's latest words,, about extending the border restrictions it is clear he knows how bad the real numbers are. But imho the shutting of borders in the current environment is a total waste of time, pointless and in this case a red herring, to detract attention from the Government's bumbling. A few cases would enter sure but the vast majority of cases everywhere in every country are local transmission. Nearly as bad is the state of Qld, Australia where they have 4500 cases, have opened to NSW where there is 20k plus, yet international passengers cant arrive without 14 days quarantine, at a price 0f $3320 or about 80 thousand baht. Purely a political point based on a quarantine centre white elephant she (the Premier) is building and in which she hopes to imprison people shortly, after a 4 hour bus trip from the Airport. Any questions about it are deflected with the commercial in confidence excuse.

Edited by Bluetongue
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

We're only going to know the true scale by hospital numbers in a couple of weeks' time.  And that will likely be good news anyway, even though by that time hundreds of thousands may be infected.  Nevertheless if the authorities have failed to adequately vaccinate older people things could get nasty.

Given the relatively mild symptoms which are indistinguishable from any other URTI in most cases, I suspect we will not be seeing any real effort to accurately report case numbers.  Indeed I doubt the country even has enough test kits.

I agree.Here in norway the healh authorities said last nigh they predict every citicen here will get the omicron this year.We have enough phizer for everybody.The problem is that the 8% unvaccinated fills up the hospitalbeds.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I agree. Crazy thing is schools are now closed again. Mine has told me to prepare for the month. Delta I understand why this would be the case. Omicron I don't. I posted above look to Campbell's latest vid. Saying evidence from South Africa showing Omicron infection/antibodies can protect against Delta infection. says a lot more but worth a look. As for reporting here it has always been about the junta's govt's agenda.

17 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

And all of these cases are isolated where, in a hospital, Hospitel, home isolation, or where?

My wife and younger son are being PCR tested at a Hospital in Bangkok, following positive ATK tests at home this morning. She has told me that when they arrived at the hospital they were nos. 138 and 139 in line to be tested. This would suggest that the numbers being quoted in the media are highly suspect. They hope that they do not get carted off to a field hospital somewhere and would prefer to get better at home. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Sorry @Bkk Brian but I think you missed a very important word that could be inserted between Thailand and passed, that word being officially.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Petey11 said:

Unbelievable, I'm speechless, a miracle has occurred, Thailand has bucked the trend seen in every other country that has had Omicron variant appear. Anutin must be over the moon that his prediction seems to coming to fruition. They need to get TAT involved and market whatever they are doing to the world. Even Prayut said they were going to build on the achievements of the last year and they have started in fine glory. All praise the Thai government, they surely must be re-elected when the time comes to vote with achievements like this.

And yes I'm been sarcastic AF. Unbelievable is the most suitable word I can think of. Anyone with connections to Thailand knows what the story is on the ground and those that think everything published must be correct as far as cases are concerned must be wearing dark rose tinted glasses.

They have "bucked the trend" of accurately identifying (on a mass scale) the number of infections, and so are concomitantly not identifying COVID deaths at corresponding levels.

Their latest deaths to new infections ratio is 1 death for every 162 infections.

If Thailand were reporting the numbers of infections that UK is currently reporting (7 day average about 150,000 per day) at the 1:162 ratio, they would be getting about 925 deaths a day.

UK is getting about (7 day average) 110 deaths a day........ 1 death for every 1363 infections.

UKs worst daily deaths, pre-vaccination, was about 1250.

Thailands COVID death:infection ratio, while they tell everyone how "successful" their vaccination programme has been, is appallingly bad.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Clarkey611 said:

My wife and younger son are being PCR tested at a Hospital in Bangkok, following positive ATK tests at home this morning. She has told me that when they arrived at the hospital they were nos. 138 and 139 in line to be tested. This would suggest that the numbers being quoted in the media are highly suspect. They hope that they do not get carted off to a field hospital somewhere and would prefer to get better at home. 

Was it just a simple weekly test?, like my GF and I are taking regardless of symptoms, or were they feeling under the weather this morning.  We test regularly either on Sunday morning or later in the day, as it is her day off from her salon.  However, she has not worked, except to cut my hair, since the 20th of December and does not plan to until things settle down.  I am scheduled to fly out to the US this next week, and so will will isolate as much as possible except to get our running workouts in at Lumpini Park.

Keep us updated @Clarkey611

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

They have "bucked the trend" of accurately identifying (on a mass scale) the number of infections, and so are concomitantly not identifying COVID deaths at corresponding levels.

Their latest deaths to new infections ratio is 1 death for every 162 infections.

If Thailand were reporting the numbers of infections that UK is currently reporting (7 day average about 150,000 per day) at the 1:162 ratio, they would be getting about 925 deaths a day.

UK is getting about (7 day average) 110 deaths a day........ 1 death for every 1363 infections.

UKs worst daily deaths, pre-vaccination, was about 1250.

Thailands COVID death:infection ratio, while they tell everyone how "successful" their vaccination programme has been, is appallingly bad.

But on the other hand, the UK’s reporting of deaths has been a bit over zealous to start with and so I don’t pay much attention to these either.  During the early days they were counting anyone who died within a 12 month period of a positive PCR as a Covid death, regardless of whatever other causes there may have been? This has now changed to 30 days.

I had a good mate who died and the official cause of death as recorded on his interim death certificate was Covid, as they found traces of it in his body when he was taken to hospital. Apparently it was nothing to do with the car that pulled into his path when he was travelling at about 60mph on his motorcycle? I must add though that this was changed upon completion of the inquest after being challenged by his wife. 

Sad but true!

Edited by Trip Hop
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Trip Hop said:

But on the other hand, the UK’s reporting of deaths has been a bit over zealous to start with and so I don’t pay much attention to these either.  During the early days they were counting anyone who died within a 12 month period of a positive PCR as a Covid death, regardless of whatever other causes there may have been? This has now changed to 30 days.

I had a good mate who died and the official cause of death as recorded on his interim death certificate was Covid, as they found traces of it in his body when he was taken to hospital. Apparently it was nothing to do with the car that pulled into his path when he was travelling at about 60mph on his motorcycle? I must add though that this was changed upon completion of the inquest after being challenged by his wife. 

Sad but true!

Sure but as you say, thats not the case now by any means, infact it has a very robust death classification now, with those examples as you mentioned now never happening.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Ubon Ratchathani closes schools, cinemas, fitness clubs, gyms and stadia to stem COVID-19 spread

Citing rising COVID-19 infections in Thailand’s north-eastern province of Ubon Ratchathani, Governor Pongrat Phiromrat has ordered the closure of all schools, cinemas, fitness clubs, gyms, stadia and sports grounds from tomorrow (Tuesday) until January 17th.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/ubon-ratchathani-closes-schools-cinemas-fitness-clubs-gyms-and-stadia-to-stem-covid-19-spread/

Well just now took the ATK test for my daughter and sent the results to school for their opening on Wed. Now keeping fingers crossed it will stay open for the term.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Was it just a simple weekly test?, like my GF and I are taking regardless of symptoms, or were they feeling under the weather this morning.  We test regularly either on Sunday morning or later in the day, as it is her day off from her salon.  However, she has not worked, except to cut my hair, since the 20th of December and does not plan to until things settle down.  I am scheduled to fly out to the US this next week, and so will will isolate as much as possible except to get our running workouts in at Lumpini Park.

Keep us updated @Clarkey611

The original ATK test was for school.  My wife took a test and swears that she can see a very faint line. This is the reason for the visit to the hospital for PCR tests, where the results are still awaited. The tests were taken in a tent situated in the hospital's Car Park. My wife was rather uncomplimentary about this facility as all types of person were queuing for PCR, ATK and Test as you go (her words) and there were no separate lines for the types of test.

1 hour ago, Trip Hop said:

Sad but true!

Not true. 

The overnight reports indeed list all deaths within 28 days of Covid infection as a COVID death. But, medical examiners list the actual cause of death on the death certificate, and that is reported to the authorities. 

Please stop with the lie that anyone testing positive is counted as a COVID death. Lying about this doesn't help anyone. 

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Petey11 said:

Unbelievable, I'm speechless, a miracle has occurred, Thailand has bucked the trend seen in every other country that has had Omicron variant appear. Anutin must be over the moon that his prediction seems to coming to fruition. They need to get TAT involved and market whatever they are doing to the world. Even Prayut said they were going to build on the achievements of the last year and they have started in fine glory. All praise the Thai government, they surely must be re-elected when the time comes to vote with achievements like this.

And yes I'm been sarcastic AF. Unbelievable is the most suitable word I can think of. Anyone with connections to Thailand knows what the story is on the ground and those that think everything published must be correct as far as cases are concerned must be wearing dark rose tinted glasses.

Why is it unbelievable, that Thailand has bucked the Global trend where Omicron is apparent.

After all, the Country employs the very latest state of the art medications in the form of " Green Cireeta ', a locally grown herb that is produced by Prisoners inside the Prisons, and is little known outside of the Country, and is said to cure Covid..

The Country also has some of the most respected, and qualified Medical Personal sitting at the very top of the decision making Tree, which enables decisions to be made quickly and with the welfare of the people at its core.

These are the reasons for Thailands success in beating Covid.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Why is it unbelievable, that Thailand has bucked the Global trend where Omicron is apparent.

After all, the Country employs the very latest state of the art medications in the form of " Green Cireeta ', a locally grown herb that is produced by Prisoners inside the Prisons, and is little known outside of the Country, and is said to cure Covid..

The Country also has some of the most respected, and qualified Medical Personal sitting at the very top of the decision making Tree, which enables decisions to be made quickly and with the welfare of the people at its core.

These are the reasons for Thailands success in beating Covid.

POTY 2022

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

Ubon Ratchathani closes schools, cinemas, fitness clubs, gyms and stadia to stem COVID-19 spread

Citing rising COVID-19 infections in Thailand’s north-eastern province of Ubon Ratchathani, Governor Pongrat Phiromrat has ordered the closure of all schools, cinemas, fitness clubs, gyms, stadia and sports grounds from tomorrow (Tuesday) until January 17th.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/ubon-ratchathani-closes-schools-cinemas-fitness-clubs-gyms-and-stadia-to-stem-covid-19-spread/

Yet Thailand only has 3,000 cases.

How do you tell Thai officials are lying?

They are moving their lips.

• Like 1

Apparently being left to individual Provinces on school closures. Expect panicky trigger happy Governors doing their thing;

Thai News Reports: According to instructions released by the Ministry of Education, schools are allowed to switch to online learning if they believe there is a risk of the spreading of Covid-19 after the new year holiday #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1477969181215653890

• Like 1