Fifth wave of COVID-19 already sweeping through Thailand – Medical Services chief

webfact

14 minutes ago, Dialemco said:

Don't have to be an expert to realise Omicron is so infectous that it is almost certain everyone will catch it which hopefully will result in herd immunity. It is still very important to be vaccinated to reduce serious illness

A lot of neighbouring countries could learn from Singapore if they reach out and asked for help .. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He admitted that it is difficult to differentiate between an infection by the Omicron variant and flu, based on the symptoms, noting that, of about half of the Omicron cases are asymptomatic

Such was my case. It was just like a heavy cold. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RandiRona said:

5th? I thought it was 3rd...when did we miss 3rd and 4th?

Second wave was December.  Third wave was April, and that's been going on until now.  I guess we could technically say that if Omicron takes over now that it might be the forth wave, if numbers shoot up?  Not sure how we jumped to the fifth wave.

8 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Second wave was December.  Third wave was April, and that's been going on until now.  I guess we could technically say that if Omicron takes over now that it might be the forth wave, if numbers shoot up?  Not sure how we jumped to the fifth wave.

April to December is considered two waves, one for UK Alpha starting in April, which was wiped out by the huge Delta wave in June.  So Omicron will be the fifth, and possibly tsunamic wave.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

He admitted that it is difficult to differentiate between an infection by the Omicron variant and flu, based on the symptoms,

I wonder when this medical genius will realise that it's also difficult to differentiate between an infection by the Omicron variant and the common cold, based on the symptoms, there's no need to invoke a flu pandemic as well, lol.

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I wonder when this medical genius will realise that it's also difficult to differentiate between an infection by the Omicron variant and the common cold, based on the symptoms, there's no need to invoke a flu pandemic as well, lol.

The elephant in the room is the number of cases. If symptoms of flu increase 5 fold it's a reasonable guess that it isn't the flu.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

UK seems OK. 

Each to their own view.

As daily confirmed infections topped 200,000 for first time, the prime minister said the health service was being put on “war footing” ahead of what he acknowledged will be a very difficult period.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-coronavirus-restrictions-planb-b1986673.html?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=IND_Morning_Headlines 05-01-2022&utm_term=IND_Headlines_Masterlist_CDP

• Like 1
  • Confused 1