Novak Djokovic’s deportation has raised the issue of the right to remain unvaccinated

webfact

5 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The travel declaration does not confer any right to remain in Australia. The visa application does that. It is quite common for people to be deported after entry to Australia if their visa application is subsequently found not to be truthful.

Application for a visa can be made months before travel and has absolutely nothing to do with covid, there are no declarations and documents required which are covid related. Djokovic didn't lie in his visa application, his travel declaration is not truthful, but there are no visa cancellation penalties for that.

https://visaguide.world/australia-visa/requirements/

Hence his visa was cancelled on "health and good order grounds", not for incorrect travel declaration.

Edited by gearbox
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, gearbox said:

The travel declaration form doesn't mention visa cancellation or deportation as a penalty:

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/australia-travel-declaration

Penalties and enforcement

The ATD requests critical health information. You must be able to provide evidence that the critical information was completed before boarding the aircraft. This is an enforceable requirement. A person who fails to comply with the requirement may be liable to a civil penalty (fine) of 30 penalty units (currently $6,660 AUD). This is set out in section 46 of the Biosecurity Act 2015.

Giving false or misleading information to the Australian Government is a serious offence. If convicted, the maximum penalty is imprisonment for 12 months.

States and territories may also apply penalties in order to enforce compliance with public health orders. This may include COVID-19 testing and self-isolation or quarantine requirements. If you do not comply with requirements including pre-departure and post-arrival testing, you may face serious penalties, including jail time or significant fines. Requirements may change at short notice.

Jokovic can get 30 penalty units ($6600) which he can easily afford. They can also prosecute him for imprisonment but that won't go very well with his access to lawyers.

I wonder how the events would unfold if Jokovic as No 1 was an EU or US citizen...

You could have been refused entry, due false declareation, however that did not occur. The courts ruled differently on a technicality of time, during his first set of interviews, now the circus continues

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gearbox said:

Application for a visa can be made months before travel and has absolutely nothing to do with covid, there are no declarations and documents required which are covid related. Djokovic didn't lie in his visa application, his travel declaration is not truthful, but there are no visa cancellation penalties for that.

https://visaguide.world/australia-visa/requirements/

Hence his visa was cancelled on "health and good order grounds", not for incorrect travel declaration.

what do you think good order means?

• Confused 1

On 1/7/2022 at 8:55 AM, gearbox said:

I find this hard to believe. The airlines would refuse to board people without a valid visa and a negative PCR test,  as anyone who came back to Thailand experienced it. I'm not aware of anyone being able to fly with "letter of support". I'm flying back to Sydney in a few weeks and don't think I can turn up at the airport without a negative PCR test and expect to board.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/the-private-jet-of-novak-djokovic-his-luxurious-life-atp-tennis-news/

He doesn't travel like us peons, none of these top level tennis players do

2 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

He doesn't travel like us peons, none of these top level tennis players do

I heard, yes I know, lame, that Rafa flies commercial (even Economy). As he famously said "The music on my iPod sounds the same in first class as in economy class"

Which is weird given his yacht. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsurbNcFjuc&t=691s

I still think Novak will play in the Australian Open, assuming he passes the tournament protocols, whatever those might be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I heard, yes I know, lame, that Rafa flies commercial (even Economy). As he famously said "The music on my iPod sounds the same in first class as in economy class"

Which is weird given his yacht. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsurbNcFjuc&t=691s

I still think Novak will play in the Australian Open, assuming he passes the tournament protocols, whatever those might be.

Join the Hillsong Church is his only option now! 

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

Join the Hillsong Church is his only option now! 

Yea, awesome tennis player, but projects as a complete nutjob.

So a cultist? yeah.

But suspect he'd make his own church, where people could follow his "teachings".

Rafa got a little dig in on novak, about the "tournament being about more than one person".

45 minutes ago, Saanim said:

So, you just care for the links of the deaths of unvaccinated, don't you? Does it fully satisfy your unbiased view? 

Steady on ol' chap, what on earth are you talking about......????

What unbiased view....Explain yourself.....?

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Stop repeating old dead anti vax propaganda. We all know vaccination does not prevent  death  in all cases. But its known  to mitigate against, infection, death, illness and hospitalisation sufficiently to make a difference  to individuals, communities and societies. 

I am not repeating anything, nor any dead anti vax propaganda, where did you see it? I was just wondering about a unbiased reporting, publication of links - even if some do not know the meaning of "unbiased".

And I did not question mitigation of the illness, hospitalisation, death of the vaccinated. How did you come to that insinuation?

20 hours ago, gearbox said:

That was pretty mean to delay the decision on purpose for days and announce it Friday evening...but then what else one could expect from normal lying and backstabbing Aussie politicians.

And they do this to the guy who donated money to the bushfire victims...

Mean is good. Sometimes it is required to make a real statement. Djok is being unreasonable and deceptive. He needs to be schooled! Punishment is reasonable. I suggest a one year ban from the tour. Haha. Something has to get through his thick head. This is a pandemic, and we all have responsibilities. No one person is above the law, nor should one "special person" be allowed to flout the rules.

Punish the Djok. Kudos to the Aussies for taking him to task. 

I am certainly pro vaccination and have zero sympathy for anti-vaxxers. 

But this whole thing appears to have been badly mishandled.

The time to decide whether a person's entry is contrary to national interests is at visa application, not when someone enters on an already  approved visa.

It is also not at all clear to me that there is any evidence he was intending to wage an anti-vax campaign while in Australia. As far as I can tell, he just came to play tennis. ..?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I am certainly pro vaccination and have zero sympathy for anti-vaxxers. 

The time to decide whether a person's entry is contrary to national interests is at visa application, not when someone enters on an already  approved visa.

It is also not at all clear to me that there is any evidence he was intending to wage an anti-vax campaign while in Australia. As far as I can tell, he just came to play tennis. ..?

He have lied about many things..in my head he is a moron who gets what he deserved.I hope he get a 3 year ban too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, by djokovic, first and foremost.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Plenty of people are granted visas and subsequent entry. Once inside a country their visa status can be re-evaluated based on any number of criteria. If he lied on their visa application, let's say. Or committed a felony. "Oh, wait, you' have a visa? Sure go ahead and rob that bank. No problem".

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

It is also not at all clear to me that there is any evidence he was intending to wage an anti-vax campaign while in Australia.

Yeah, but surely he is free to express his anti-vax sentiments. Or are you suggesting that he be muzzled?

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

As far as I can tell, he just came to play tennis. ..?

Well, yeah. That seems pretty obvious. Well that, and satisfy sponsorship duties. And pedal sponsors kit.

I think some sponsors are reconsidering their deals with him, but not seeing "cause" here so they may stick with him until the contracts end.

I still think he'll make that match tomorrow afternoon ~ 16:15 against fellow Serbian Miomir Kecmanović.

Seems like it's a done deal. I wrongly assumed there might a further appeal but I guess there is not.

Edited by mtls2005

Novak Djokovic has lost his second visa battle in a week after the Federal Court dismissed his application against Immigration Minister Alex Hawke's decision.

A judicial review of Alex Hawke's decision to cancel the tennis star's visa was heard by the full bench of the Federal Court today.

In a short hearing just before 6pm AEDT, the court ruled against Djokovic.

It was a unanimous decision of the three judges.

The Serbian will now be deported.

Read the full story here.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2022 at 12:21 PM, mtls2005 said:

Yea, awesome tennis player, but projects as a complete nutjob.

So a cultist? yeah.

But suspect he'd make his own church, where people could follow his "teachings".

Rafa got a little dig in on novak, about the "tournament being about more than one person".

He is not as selfish as he appears. He works for charities and tries to help other less influential tennis players. But he walked into a political firestorm with a hopeless government, in country with a barbaric immigration system, a dubious covid track record and at a time when the government  needed a distraction. He set himself  up as a target. I bet Boris Johnson wishes he had such a distraction.

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

He is not as selfish as he appears. He works for charities and tries to help other less influential tennis players. But he walked into a political firestorm with a hopeless government, in country with a barbaric immigration system, a dubious covid track record and at a time when the government  needed a distraction. He set himself  up as a target. I bet Boris Johnson wishes he had such a distraction.

Regardless, he fiddled his paperwork, end of.....????

Not all folk who do stuff for charities are squeaky clean....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Regardless, he fiddled his paperwork, end of.....????

Not all folk who do stuff for charities are squeaky clean....

I am unclear as to the final reasons given. I am not suggesting he is 'squeaky' clean though I have no reason to think otherwise.  I think mixing in public the day after he was found positive was shocking and wrong but that relate to visa status. I hate tennis  but love Serbia so I feel sorry for the Serbian people.

Just now, The Hammer2021 said:

I am unclear as to the final reasons given. I am not suggesting he is 'squeaky' clean though I have no reason to think otherwise.  I think mixing in public the day after he was found positive was shocking and wrong but that relate to visa status. I hate tennis  but love Serbia so I feel sorry for the Serbian people.

That sounds so implausible that I wonder if he ever had covid at that time. It's possible that the positive covid story was cooked up to get a medical exemption.

• Like 1

A spokesperson for France's Ministry of Sport has warned there will be no exemption for unvaccinated players at the upcoming French Open in May.  

The country recently introduced COVID-passes that require individuals to have received two doses to enter many venues, including sports venues like the grounds at Roland Garros.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-18/novak-djokovic-lands-in-serbia-after-deportation-from-australia/100762766