Over one million doses of Moderna vaccine arrive in Thailand on Thursday

snoop1130

Thai-PBS-World-logo-32.png

The first 1.3 million, of the 3.7 million doses of the Moderna mRNA vaccine set to be delivered in  January, arrived in Thailand today (Thursday), with the balance to be delivered by the end of the month.

Ordered by the Private Hospital Association through the Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO), the rest of the order will arrive in two lots, 870,000 million doses this Saturday and 1.53 million doses on January 17th. A total of 5.6 million doses have been ordered, with almost 1.9 million having been delivered to date. The first lot arrived on November 1st.

The mRNA vaccine is one of the two paid options in Thailand, with the other being China’s Sinopharm.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/over-one-million-doses-of-moderna-vaccine-arrive-in-thailand-on-thursday/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

That is news to me; didn't know you had could to pay for Sinopharm.

I do hope they keep the shot stock in correct conditions until it is delivered to the consumer.

Sinopharm was being sold to businesses to get their employees vaccinated.  I think it cost 750 baht per shot.

• Sad 1

all the workers where my wife is the manager have had sinopharm, one has since come down with covid, my wife got a booster shot of moderna in Bangkok(paid for it many months ago) and I am waiting for moderna to arrive at the private hospital where I have paid(also many months ago) for it to be a booster for me after having the 2 phizer shots so hopefully my moderna shot will be in one of these lots

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimboJ said:

Anyone know where a Moderna jab can be obtained in Pattaya?  Bangkok Hospital site is only offering Pfizer or AZ, and that is booked up.

Not so. Their website routes you to a Line link which enables you to purchase through Rabbit pay. I had to try a few times before I completed our purchase

Has anyone purchased a Moderna booster recently and given an actual date / appointment (in BKK)? If so at which hospital?  I know it can be done at many private hospitals including our usual Bumrungrad but their site is very hazy on the date -- sometime in Q1 or Q2 -- which could mean January or June, so not really helpful. I know there may be Facebook transfer options but I am more comfortable just going to the source.

1 hour ago, eppic said:

Has anyone purchased a Moderna booster recently and given an actual date / appointment (in BKK)? If so at which hospital?  I know it can be done at many private hospitals including our usual Bumrungrad but their site is very hazy on the date -- sometime in Q1 or Q2 -- which could mean January or June, so not really helpful. I know there may be Facebook transfer options but I am more comfortable just going to the source.

Vibhavadi is giving shots and boosters to people who previously paid for it.

Everyday of the week except weekends.

I'm booked for a booster with a friend on Tuesday.

His wife is getting her second shot the same day.

Try emailing them or give them a call.

Seems a big shipment has come in.  

Screenshot_20211222-215751.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 7:45 AM, IAMHERE said:

That is news to me; didn't know you had could to pay for Sinopharm.

Chulaborn Royal Academy was the exclusive government/gazetted approved importer of sinopharm. Their approval was granted on a Friday, and sinopharm was delivered the following Monday, so this shows you that things can work efficiently here.

They charged the, one assumes, astrologer-approved price of 888 baht. Individuals rarely paid directly, rather they were part of a civic/private group which paid for them.

I bought 2 doses back in June for about 4000 baht. Just as an insurance policy against the government's incompetence/racist policies.

Every month I get a text message from the unnamed private hospital to say it's been delayed. Currently it's booked for the end of March.

Meanwhile I've had 2 AZ and a Pfizer free from my employer.

Like most insurance, a total waste of money.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, eppic said:

Has anyone purchased a Moderna booster recently and given an actual date / appointment (in BKK)? If so at which hospital? 

I bought my Moderna shot in Dec on Shopee to use at Bangkok Hospital.  See hospital website for details. All worked fine and I got an appointment immediately. No q at all to get jabbed

A colleague got his at Medpark where you can book with hospital direct

Edited by Thaiophil
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2022 at 11:37 AM, Thaiophil said:

I bought my Moderna shot in Dec on Shopee to use at Bangkok Hospital.  See hospital website for details. All worked fine and I got an appointment immediately. No q at all to get jabbed

A colleague got his at Medpark where you can book with hospital direct

There seems to be some unfair practice here with you getting Moderna straight away while others in the country have waited for up to 6 months! ☹️

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

There seems to be some unfair practice here with you getting Moderna straight away while others in the country have waited for up to 6 months! ☹️

Nothing unfair. The offers of Moderna at Bkk H and Medpark were widely advertised and available to all at the regular price.

Some people fell for the scam from some hospitals of prepaying and then waiting months. Caveat emptor

Edited by Thaiophil
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Thats just a strange response... 

Moderna has been available to be booked at various hospitals for months, until recently running out. 

How could that possibly be ‘unfair practice’ ???? 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Thaiophil said:

Nothing unfair. The offers of Moderna at Bkk H and Medpark were widely advertised and available to all at the regular price.

Some people fell for the scam from some hospitals of prepaying and then waiting months. Caveat emptor

Are you accusing the Thai PHA of operating a scam? That is a serious accusation and I would advise you to withdraw it.

Edited by Chris.B

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Moderna has been available to be booked at various hospitals for months, until recently running out. 

So how comes some hospitals have Moderna available for sale (mainly in Bangkok/Chonburi) while other hospitals upcountry have people still waiting for their Moderna orders, some maybe up to 6 months?

Edited by Chris.B

7 minutes ago, Chris.B said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

So how comes some hospitals have Moderna available for sale (mainly in Bangkok/Chonburi) while other hospitals upcountry have people still waiting for their Moderna orders, some maybe up to 6 months?

Ah ok - I get your meaning now.... 

You mean that it is unfair that there isn’t an even distribution of Moderna throughout Thailand for those outside of Bangkok to gain access too - You have a point. 

Approximately 20% of Thailands population lives within an hour of the area’s of Bangkok where the Moderna vaccine has been available.

That said there is nothing stopping those from outside of Bangkok coming to the capital to get a Moderna vaccine - other than cost of course. 

The same thing happened early on on the vaccine programs - Vaccines were first available in Bangkok.

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You mean that it is unfair that there isn’t an even distribution of Moderna throughout Thailand for those outside of Bangkok to gain access too - You have a point. 

Approximately 20% of Thailands population lives within an hour of the area’s of Bangkok where the Moderna vaccine has been available.

That said there is nothing stopping those from outside of Bangkok coming to the capital to get a Moderna vaccine - other than cost of course. 

The same thing happened early on on the vaccine programs - Vaccines were first available in Bangkok.

If you said, in the UK, that vaccines were only available in London and people from Cardiff, Manchester and Newcastle had to travel down, what would you expect their response to be? Yet, in Thailand, you seem to think it perfectly reasonable! ???????? 

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chris.B said:
25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you said, in the UK, that vaccines were only available in London and people from Cardiff, Manchester and Newcastle had to travel down, what would you expect their response to be? Yet, in Thailand, you seem to think it perfectly reasonable! ???????? 

I wrote...... You have a point - I agree with you that Thailands capital has received a priority when it comes to availability of vaccines. 

I provided an explanation as to why this may be. 

IF you wish to compare the cities of Thailand to Cardiff, Manchester and Newcastle we can.......

The residents of Cardiff, Manchester, Newcastle and any other location in the UK do not get a choice of Vaccine - they don’t get a choice at all, they don’t get the option to travel anywhere to get their vaccine or booster of choice. They get what they are given at their General Practitioners on a date they are allocated and thats its. 

In Thailand you have same issue.... people in cities all over Thailand are offered what is available when its available. BUT, if some want the luxury of choice they have the option to travel.

So... IF you want to compare Thailand and the UK to ‘win a point’.... please do so using accurate information. 

In the UK no one gets the option to choose moderna... they get what they’ve been allocated.

IF you choose to live in a developing nation which a 

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wrote...... You have a point - I agree with you that Thailands capital has received a priority when it comes to availability of vaccines. 

I provided an explanation as to why this may be. 

IF you wish to compare the cities of Thailand to Cardiff, Manchester and Newcastle we can.......

The residents of Cardiff, Manchester, Newcastle and any other location in the UK do not get a choice of Vaccine - they don’t get a choice at all, they don’t get the option to travel anywhere to get their vaccine or booster of choice. They get what they are given at their General Practitioners on a date they are allocated and thats its. 

In Thailand you have same issue.... people in cities all over Thailand are offered what is available when its available. BUT, if some want the luxury of choice they have the option to travel.

So... IF you want to compare Thailand and the UK to ‘win a point’.... please do so using accurate information. 

In the UK no one gets the option to choose moderna... they get what they’ve been allocated.

IF you choose to live in a developing nation which a

I understand in the UK, there are walk-in centres across the country where you have the choice of accepting the vaccines on offer or not.  ????

18 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

I understand in the UK, there are walk-in centres across the country where you have the choice of accepting the vaccines on offer or not.  ????

Actually yes, they started setting up Vaccine Walk in centres 6 months ago (the closest for the people in my area is approximately 1 hr away).

Everyone I know was issued with dates and given a vaccine, no choice at all regarding which vaccine they received.

Regarding ‘boosters’.... either at your General Practitioner on a resister date / time or at a Walk in Center you are either given Pfizer or Modnera....   as I understand it, there is no choice.

Edited by richard_smith237

19 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

So.... In the UK, if you wanted Moderna you’d have to go to a Walk in centre (or take your appointment) and take your chance...   If they offer you Pfizer you can walk away, then go to another walk-in centre which may or may not have Moderna etc... 

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So.... In the UK, if you wanted Moderna you’d have to go to a Walk in centre (or take your appointment) and take your chance...   If they offer you Pfizer you can walk away, then go to another walk-in centre which may or may not have Moderna etc... 

Your arguments, trying to justify some in Bangkok getting instant access to paid for Moderna while others in the country have been waiting for up to 6 months, seem to be getting desperate.  ☹️☹️

Edited by Chris.B