Thailand to control ATK pricing amid surging Covid infections

webfact

te.jpg

By Panithan Onthaworn

The Thai government said on Friday that it is monitoring Antigen Test Kit (ATK) pricing after complaints about expensive prices during a new wave of Covid-19 outbreak.

The Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has instructed the Ministry of Commerce to oversee the selling prices of ATKs both in pharmacies and online stores, deputy government spokeswoman Traisulee Traisoranakul said.

“If found overpricing, legal action will be taken,” Traisulee said. “This is to set up guidelines to protect people from being exploited during difficult times.”

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/36281/thailand-to-control-atk-pricing-amid-surging-covid-infections/

ti.jpg
  • Haha 2

and while you are at it, why not control overpricing charged on foreigners all over Thailand for any and all events/parks/camping/transport..... I am sure the point is made,  will not name more 555

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“If found overpricing, legal action will be taken,” Traisulee said. “This is to set up guidelines to protect people from being exploited during difficult times.”

So print the cost of an ATK test so everyone knows what it should be.

9 hours ago, Mavideol said:

and while you are at it, why not control overpricing charged on foreigners all over Thailand for any and all events/parks/camping/transport..... I am sure the point is made,  will not name more 555

They’ve been talking for years about stopping overcharging foreigners but they never get beyond talking. So I just don’t go to anywhere that does this.

• Like 2

Local pharmacy had 3 brands, 120 - 180 Baht. And one brand, 45 Baht. Pharmacist told me 45 B one had been tested by FDA (or whatever the testing body in Thailand is called?)

That was 1st or 2nd January from memory.

This is the 45 B one.

IMG_20220104_080842.jpg

9 minutes ago, Xonax said:

I hope that they will have more success, than back in 2020, when they shamelessly failed to control the mask price.

Don't know why you were not happy with the 50 Baht price tag. In Australia the price was AUD$15.00 (350 Baht) now up to AUD$25.00 with price gouging through lack of availability.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Xonax said:

I hope that they will have more success, than back in 2020, when they miserably failed to control the mask price.

Those 2020 free masks really set me back financially.  

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, bdenner said:

Don't know why you were not happy with the 50 Baht price tag. In Australia the price was AUD$15.00 (350 Baht) now up to AUD$25.00 with price gouging through lack of availability.

The article is not about prices in Australia but in Thailand! Back in early 2020 there were few masks for sale online, and the cheapest were sold for 800 Baht for 50 pcs.  The greed had no limits and the government did nothing than proclaiming, that they would punish all overcharging sellers, which obviously never happened.

Edited by Xonax
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xonax said:

Back in early 2020 there were few masks for sale online, and the cheapest were sold for 800 Baht for 50 pcs.  The greed had no limits and the government did nothing than proclaiming, that they would punish all overcharging sellers, which obviously never happened.

Need to pick better places to shop at.  Makro was giving away packs of them for free.  Then later for 10 baht, pack of 4 or 5 masks.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1

TW fronted up this afternoon with a number of ATKs being distributed free by our local Tambon Govt. clinic. +ve results have to be reported but if -ve the used kit can be disposed of (I presume in the  normal Isaan way).

BTW. Chinese without an FDA Certification stamp!