Bank accounts holding ThB 800,000?

Just returned from Chaengwattana with approved visa extension/retirement. I've been holding ThB 700,000 plus in  a Fixed Deposit account for several years now. The balance, which has always crept above the necessary ThB 100,000 level, I've kept in an SCB Savings account. On leaving today, the head official (I guess) advised me that they would accept this format this time but would not permit it next year. Regrettably, I was too flustered (and relieved) to pursue the point. Was she objecting to the Fixed Deposit account and its tabulation? Anybody any ideas? How can you check or find clarification?

You require 800k+ in account 2 months prior to application and 3 after. The balance after that not less than 400k and back up to 800k two months prior to next extension.

The money can be in two accounts. I use an FD account and a savings account . Same Bank. 

Are your accounts with same bank? 

Not sure what the io wasn't happy with.

Which immigration office? 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Confused 1

Yes, both accounts with SCB. Is it that I can show Savings a/c balance correct on the day of attending, but the FD account balance was 3 days old, the day of the bank letter. Is that it? There's no SCB branch at IO any longer.

5 minutes ago, baz 79 said:

No problem with TaoNow's point, interest should now take me over the ThB 800,000 threshhold. But that wouldn't solve the problem of combining visit with dated statement.

It's a pain but keeping in mind almost all Immigration offices outside of Chaegwattana have no banks on site means most of us have to schedule a bank visit before we head out for our extensions.

Thanks for responses, it seems the non-alignment of the FD  statement with the date of visit - in my case - is the sticking point.  Which means several alternative courses of action: change bank, change FD account, use SCB at Big C Chaengwattana and take longer about it. Appreciate your thoughts, it's a miserable day anyway, 365 days away, I'm happy to say.

CW office is a real pain in the <deleted>, last time, they grilled me for 3 days for the simple extentions, never had it before, i guess, it depends which officer deals with you. 800K is a must for 2  month before the date of your document submission. make sure to transfer few baht for a day before you getting an bank statement (i do each day for 3 days) to show activity on the bank and actual balance on the date of application.

deal with the male officers there, avoid chicks, IMHO

1 hour ago, MasterBaker said:

CW office is a real pain in the <deleted>, last time, they grilled me for 3 days for the simple extentions, never had it before, i guess, it depends which officer deals with you. 800K is a must for 2  month before the date of your document submission

If your only mentioning "2 months prior is a must" then that would be for your first extension.

If an ongoing extension the io would need to see the bank balances from date of previous extension and the rules ...money 3 months post previous extension etc. 

BTW, I have found the io officers at CW a treat. Always pleasant and helpful.

Almost all the io at CW L section are female. 

Correct paperwork is essential.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Suspect there could have been an issue with the savings account also as that has to be monitored 3 months after and 2 months prior to prove the 800k in account when required.  They seem to be able to read one year bank statements (often required for us using income and of US/UK nationality) so perhaps would like that as well as passbook for the 100k plus account.  But as said making the fixed 800k would likely be the easy path.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

They seem to be able to read one year bank statements (often required for us using income and of US/UK nationality) so perhaps would like that as well as passbook for the 100k plus account.  But as said making the fixed 800k would likely be the easy path.

Yes the 800k+ in FD account is simple solution.

As to the accounts...I personally use two accounts with same bank (FD and Savings) at CW. 

No issue.

I provide the required photocopies of bankbooks and bank letter and make transaction on day of application. Easy.

I presented two accounts, both of them joint accounts for my last extension. The first account is a fixed term deposit and the second is our savings account. When I went to Chaeng Wattena for last years extension I presented both accounts with both book banks updated that day and two bank statements that were one day old. As I have joint accounts I need to show 1.6M in my account for the duration.

The saving account had 1.3 M in it and that had been in the account for 12 months and the FTD account had a lot more than the minimum requirement for extension of stay in it as well and that account was more than 5 years old.  However the Imm Officer decided to process the savings account only and told me that I had insufficient funds to extend my visa. When I pointed out that I had presented two accounts that exceeded the minimum requirements she chucked a big sulk and said she would process both accounts this time but would only process one account in future. 

I have used my Fixed Term and savings account amounts for my extensions since 2013 and this was the first time someone decided to make the number of accounts being presented as an issue. So I think the smoothness of the extension is dependent on which officer you get assigned to.

2 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

I presented two accounts, both of them joint accounts for my last extension. The first account is a fixed term deposit and the second is our savings account. When I went to Chaeng Wattena for last years extension I presented both accounts with both book banks updated that day and two bank statements that were one day old. As I have joint accounts I need to show 1.6M in my account for the duration.

The saving account had 1.3 M in it and that had been in the account for 12 months and the FTD account had a lot more than the minimum requirement for extension of stay in it as well and that account was more than 5 years old.  However the Imm Officer decided to process the savings account only and told me that I had insufficient funds to extend my visa. When I pointed out that I had presented two accounts that exceeded the minimum requirements she chucked a big sulk and said she would process both accounts this time but would only process one account in future. 

I have used my Fixed Term and savings account amounts for my extensions since 2013 and this was the first time someone decided to make the number of accounts being presented as an issue. So I think the smoothness of the extension is dependent on which officer you get assigned to.

Will add that believe accepting joint accounts, even with 2x the money, seemed to become less welcome the last few years.  Many places seem to require your name only, which can be an issue for quick access in the event of death.

I keep 800k plus in a dedicated account at all times. I get a bank letter and passbook update from SCB the day before my annual visit to  CW, most recently last month. These have always been accepted without any questions or hassle. I received my latest completed extension application based on retirement by 1130 in the morning.  It has always been a simple process, going back to the days of Soi Suan Plu, Sathorn. To date I have never ever used an agent or any third party in nearly 40 years, and will only do so when age, (I am currently 80), and/or ill health catches up with me. I simply do not understand why this issue appears complicated for so many people.