Thai authorities searching for six European men who left Koh Chang after testing positive for Covid-19

webfact

1 minute ago, jimn said:

No test and go hotels in Koh Chang. They probably went to Koh Chang after testing negative on arrival test. Took the day 6 test in Koh Chang. Probably caught the virus in Thailand.

Shared the same minivan perhaps....or contracted it at the hotel. Curiously this hotel appears not to have been publicly named !

".... he feared that the European men would spread the virus in the Thai capital ..."

Just like hundreds of thousands of other people are spreading the virus, walking around freely....

Selective quarantine makes only sense in the very beginning of a pandemic, not when it's already full blown.
Right now if you want to stop spreading, you need a general lockdown or a working vaccine.

Anyhow, i don't see the need to stop the spreading, as with omicron we are lucky to have such a mild variant.
It gives us the opportunity to gain natural herd immunity.
Or they wanna wait until we have a more dangerous variant again?

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

This isn't a great example as, while many people probably do get annoyed at it, foreigners, minorities, etc., do generally get things their way most of the time.  The UK is very much a "they're guests here and a minority so we must change hundreds of years of history and culture to prevent them from feeling marginalised or offended".   You can kind of see why people then get a bit annoyed when they travel abroad and suddenly find that it's "you are guests here and a minority so you must do whatever we say".

Reverse entitlement!

4 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

It's really not funny. Your juvenile remarks are inappropriate given the deadly seriousness of this matter. And I otherwise agree, hunt them down like fugitives and prosecute them. Hospitalize, deport, and ban them. Same as you might do to someone committing hit and run, evading the scene of an accident. Yeah, I know, someone will weigh in about the Red Bull kid, but that's irrelevant to my point

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. I have my own views and opinion on 'things' which may or may not match with public sentiments of day. I am sorry if it didnt match to your expectations and I disappointed you.

Edited by RandiRona

6 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Do you think that border security  in countries checking for organic products,  nuts, and agricultural plants for disease  is an important  job and necessary to protect indigenous plants in that country actually  projecting their environment?  Then why would you make a mockery of trying to keep a virus out to keep people safe?

Sorry if I hurt your feelings , that wasnt the intent.

Not at all.  I understand  the importance  of professional  doing their best to keep out disease and the stricter measuse required to accomplish their job, be it agriculture,  infectious disease in humans, or drugs.  Do you feel one of these authorities should not do their Job?  Let me guess, you feel its ok for agriculture to keep out the things that might affect the environment,  or harm native species  of plants.  I bet you even feel that drug enforcement  should keep out illicit drugs.  So far so good? But I think you might have a problem with authorities  trying to control people that might have infectious diseases that could cause great harm, and only because it hinders good times for mongers.  Do you see the short sightedness?  Sorry if I hurt your feelings!  That wasnt the intent!

11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Do try to keep up ... 

"Pol Col Duangchote Suwancharas, superintendent of Thong Lor police, said the suspect pleaded guilty in court, so his punishment was reduced to a 2,000 baht fine.

Immigration police have taken him into custody for deportation, Pol Col Duangchote said."

Exactly my point. Many would accept paying 2000 Baht rather spending 14 nights in a prison hospital. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, DonniePeverley said:

Exactly my point. Many would accept paying 2000 Baht rather spending 14 nights in a prison hospital. 

Did you miss this part:

Immigration police have taken him into custody for deportation

which may take more than 2 weeks ... or longer, as an airlines won't take you till test negative.  Now, where's that advantage.

They should have insurance, would think testing positive would be covered.  Getting deported, after in prison, which, now assume you need to buy a new, one way (expensive) return ticket, unless original was open return.  Not really a position you want to be in vs a hospital stay, which may or may not be 2 full weeks or more.

Any thought of ever returning to Thailand would be in jeopardy, though doubt anyone would.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

I am not sure you understand how expensive deportation procesdures will end up to be in the end. This fine will be the most minuscule part of it.

• Like 2

Clearly they thought their holiday was more important than other people’s safety. How considerate. And people wonder why the government seems to want to keep the tourists out.

Surely they know the identities, so they will either get caught when trying to exit, if not before. 

Throw the book at them and make an example for anyone else who might want to try it, then deport and blacklist. Easy.

Saw an article recently where Filipino president orders the arrest of any unvaccinated person who violates stay at home orders… sounds like it might be useful in Thailand as well haha.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ukrules said:

No, they weren't, this was not the first test, it was the follow up test so they didn't have to do anything until the result came in.

Normally when I fill out almost any form in Thailand it asks for a movile phone number, are they not simply asking for the phone number in case someone tests positive in which case they could phone you and tell you to report to the nearest covid prison ????

And there lies the flaw with T&G, as they were out among people for 5 or so days, before 2nd test.

Doing the potential math, and say they only infect 1 person each, who infect another, and if only taking that to the power of 3, and in a few weeks you have 1,679,616 new cases.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jack West Jr said:

Yep, obviously a government conspiracy to pin the blame on the farangs again . I urge everyone visiting this banana kingdom ( 10 tourists in January so far ) to bring their own test kit . 

And yet in other real news ... 351 arrivals tested positive yesterday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

And there lies the flaw with T&G, as they were out among people for 5 or so days, before 2nd test.

Doing the potential math, and say they only infect 1 person each, who infect another, and if only taking that to the power of 3, and in a few weeks you have 1,679,616 new cases.

Agreed completely, that they didn't cancel the test and go tourists who had already booked reveals their plan here.

They know it's coming and decided to let it in. Don't forget, they said it's all under control and I do believe them when they said this.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

If you click on the 'Manager' story 6 passports are shown, 2 are of the same Polish person, so was it six or five ? or maybe twin brothers with the same name and Passport number ????

maybe they were Siamese twins with one body and two heads....

Is it really possible that they won't be nabbed eventually? Like when they try to return home? Is the government good enough to find them if they check into a hotel, open a bank account. or bring money in?

Terrible if they are infecting bar girls. Their life is hard enough.

• Like 1