ICE vs EV, the debate thread

KhunLA

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I got the DeWalt DCD798D1 with an extra battery 🔋 pack. I really like the color, grib, body shape and hammer drill function.

Still, it will be hard to let go of the old ICE, but fuel consumption, oil change and maintenance does add up.

Screenshot_20240514_080530_Chrome.jpg

That's not full electric; that's a modified hybrid.   I guess you couldn't make the full step to BEV.

But I'm glad you didn't go with that used Nissan Leaf with battery SOH of 60% and converted to all wheel drive with a couple of used Hatari fan motors put on the rear wheels. I'm not sure that used and modified EV from Somchai's Used EV Tent (formally Somchai's Performance ECU & Muffler Shop...Somchai is trying hard to transition to a new energy business) would have been a good idea because fan motor run capacitors don't last that long and having to press an old fan speed switch of 1/2/3 to shift to all wheel drive just seems awkward. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

China is the leader in BEVs and the solar industry.

Chinese solar panels are catching on fire. 

Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre "all the solar panels on the roof" caught fire.

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/thousands-evacuated-from-sydney-olympic-park-aquatic-centre-after-solar-panels-on-roof-go-up-in-flames/news-story/b2c99ca23666e204d1e4f17bae4c11a3

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 2

On 8/3/2023 at 11:27 PM, Lacessit said:

I can't say I have driven one, just an electric scooter. Which was fun.

Ignorance is when a poster refuses to accept basic science and clear visual evidence of how that science works. Shooting the messenger is so much easier.

From that post I have no idea of which side you are on or what your point is. It makes it so much clearer when you include a quote so we know what you are on about.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Chinese solar panels are catching on fire. 

Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre "all the solar panels on the roof" caught fire.

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/thousands-evacuated-from-sydney-olympic-park-aquatic-centre-after-solar-panels-on-roof-go-up-in-flames/news-story/b2c99ca23666e204d1e4f17bae4c11a3

As stated earlier, nothing in that new-blip states panels were from China.  But feel free to write the news for us.  No anti China hate here :coffee1:

WARNING:  some of us know how to read

More CH Hater will spread the word ... :cheesy:

The brainwashing continues :cheesy:

image.png.908ebf478017bd662ac2313572fd5003.png

Facebook haters not to be out done, although 1 got it correct...

image.png.06b134e988a7b2ca511002c822f883ee.png

Thinking out loud ... would the govt really contract an Aussie company to install solar system using solar panels from China, when AU is a leading manufacturer of.   And some key player names at that;

image.png.5688dcc1000ef2ddb7eac3dcbad7ebd7.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

As Khun LA has already posted, they are not Chinese. Can you tell us where you got your information from that they were Chinese? Or did you just make it up? Please tell as you just make yourself look stupid and possibly racist by making that up.

The anti-Chinese propaganda gets swallowed by the gullible, it is really quite pathetic, and you are one of the worst swallowers. I will retract that comment when you show me the information you read that says they were Chinese. 

They were made by BP Solar (a subsidiary of BP - British Petroleum) by the way. 

Racist nonsense. I just want to know if you made that up yourself or did someone else make it up and you just swallowed it. Pathetic, truly pathetic.

Edit: Oh, and before you say BP Solar probably have them made in China, they don't. They are made in Australia. Their other manufacturing sites are the US, India, and Spain. No Chinese factories.

Where did I say they were Chinese?

There are plenty of stories on the internet regarding Chinese solar panels catching fire. 

I posted relevant information regarding this thread.

Maybe there are members here that are unaware that solar panels catch on fire, that's why we have forums, informed stories are important to post. 

Don't be a child, telling others that they look stupid, it makes you a foolish person. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

As Khun LA has already posted, they are not Chinese. Can you tell us where you got your information from that they were Chinese? Or did you just make it up? Please tell as you just make yourself look stupid and possibly racist by making that up.

The anti-Chinese propaganda gets swallowed by the gullible, it is really quite pathetic, and you are one of the worst swallowers. I will retract that comment when you show me the information you read that says they were Chinese. 

They were made by BP Solar (a subsidiary of BP - British Petroleum) by the way. 

Racist nonsense. I just want to know if you made that up yourself or did someone else make it up and you just swallowed it. Pathetic, truly pathetic.

BP closed its Solar business in 2011

British oil major BP shut down the remnants of its solar unit on Wednesday,

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-bp-solar-idUSTRE7BK1CC20111221/

There has been a number of class A lawsuits against BP solar

https://www.bpsolarsettlement.com/

And they issued a Product advisory in 2012

This product advisory is being issued to communicate a potential risk when using certain BP Solar modules in specific types of installations. Testing has shown there is a limited risk of cable to busbar disconnection in the junction box that, in rare cases, may lead to a thermal event in certain applications of the products referenced below.   A thermal event, depending upon the severity, can cause secondary damage to

surrounding materials that are not fire resistant. 

https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/business-sites/en/global/corporate/pdfs/products-and-services/bp-solar-product-advisory-2012.pdf

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Er, what?

You said:

"Chinese solar panels are catching on fire. 

Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre "all the solar panels on the roof" caught fire."

Do you have that short a memory?

CHINESE SOLAR PANELS CATCH ON FIRE 

I'm yelling. 

Do you have a hearing problem? 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Yes, they did. And?  The aquatic centre in question was built for the 2000 Sydney Olympics and used BP Solar panels. They still aren't Chinese, they were still made in Australia.

I never said they were Chinese

BP Solar Closing Australian Cell Manufacturing Plant

March 2009

BP Solar has announced that it will stop producing solar photovoltaic (PV) cells and panels at its Sydney Olympic park plant in March 2009.

https://www.greenbiz.com/article/bp-solar-closing-australian-cell-manufacturing-plant#

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

So by saying "Chinese solar panels are catching on fire. Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre "all the solar panels on the roof" caught fire." you weren't implying those solar panels were Chinese??

Seriously, just admit you made a wrong assumption or a mistake, that's fine. But by trying to wriggle out of what you clearly said, well, you are just an obvious troll and no point in continuing a discussion. What you wrote is clear for anyone to see, or, erm, hear.

I never said the Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre solar panels were Chinese. 

What's wrong with you bloody people, read the comment, use a translation tool if English is not your first language. 

Bloody hell, what's wrong with people here? 

Problem with this forum, People just want to jump in and say people are stupid, it's like being back at school, no intelligence. And then they send a confused emoji. 

Grow up people. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 5
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I never said they were Chinese

BP Solar Closing Australian Cell Manufacturing Plant

March 2009

BP Solar has announced that it will stop producing solar photovoltaic (PV) cells and panels at its Sydney Olympic park plant in March 2009.

https://www.greenbiz.com/article/bp-solar-closing-australian-cell-manufacturing-plant#

They closed that plant, but they are far from out of the solar game ... wiki:

image.png.d7f9e37ef5f89877722c8940318b68ab.png

Certainly not being incognito about it:

image.png.b144db1e03190625651fb345f91ae203.png

Edited by KhunLA

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

IMG_3866.jpeg.223741e7a3fdad3035147c23c2727ab1.jpeg

In no way were you inferring that the solar panels on the Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre were Chinese 😂😂

Pathetic !!

Why the pathetic comment?

Are you another uneducated person who can't read English? 

You can study online these days. 

Invest your time in online study (many English courses) instead of annoying others behind the keyboard. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Why the pathetic comment?

Are you another uneducated person who can't read English? 

You can study online these days. 

Invest your time in online study (many English courses) instead of annoying others behind the keyboard. 

My father use say something like that all the time ...

... "Do as I say, not as I do" ... when I pointed out his hypocrisy at times :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

They closed that plant, but they are far from out of the solar game ... wiki:

image.png.d7f9e37ef5f89877722c8940318b68ab.png

Certainly not being incognito about it:

image.png.b144db1e03190625651fb345f91ae203.png

BP Solar ceased operations in 2011

BP announced plans in July to abandon its household and industrial rooftop solar activities to concentrate on the larger projects but said on December15 that even those were no longer viable.

The solar business at BP, which was set up around 40 years ago, has been shrinking since 2008 when the firm started exiting its manufacturing plants.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-bp-solar-idUSTRE7BK1CC20111221/

From 2011 to 2017 BP was out of the solar market business

December 2017

BP Re-Enters Solar Power Market With $200 Million U.K. Deal

Oil major buys stake in U.K. photovoltaic firm Lightsource

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-15/bp-agrees-to-invest-200-million-in-solar-power-developer

Edited by vinny41
add