ICE vs EV, the debate thread

KhunLA

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Kicks.jpg.56ba46180b4161703386191ea57d8cc5.jpg

You missed my point, as every car seemed to have the same boring grills, whether black oval to add contrast & highlight badge, or worse, metal/silver/chrome.

MG ZS one of, if not first (in TH) to do away with 2022 facelift.  Which I actually thought was too plain & ugly.   But after seeing a few driving towards me, really warmed up to it's uniqueness, and quite like it now. 

All the other EVs from CH, seem to eliminate the 'grill work' also, and very minimalistic / aerodynamic, with maybe an illuminated strip across the front.   Much better than the ol' standard unstylish designs we've been trained to accept.

ZS's is very practical also, having the charging port in the front.  When using CSs, no worries or hassle of trying to plug into the side, when someone is parked too close to you.  Convenient for the wife anyway, not me, as she's in control of charging when O&A.

• Haha 1

Whoa ... 91 @ ฿38.73 locally ... yikes.  Remember when it was 1/3 that price, along with 15% more, as a high price.   ฿2 baht since one month ago.  My savings with the EVs just keep on growing :coffee1:

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Whoa ... 91 @ ฿38.73 locally ... yikes.  Remember when it was 1/3 that price, along with 15% more, as a high price.   ฿2 baht since one month ago.  My savings with the EVs just keep on growing :coffee1:

But driving an MG, one has to put a bag over one's head..........😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

People with an avatar like yours Sam, shouldn't throw stones!

What's wrong with a James Taylor photo.....?  😯

Sam, I had a dog called Sam, Irish Setter, most use, Trans, I like Trans..........:guitar:

3 minutes ago, transam said:

What's wrong with a James Taylor photo.....?  😯

Sam, I had a dog called Sam, Irish Setter, most use, Trans, I like Trans..........:guitar:

Tranny Sam, it has a certain ring to it.

• Love It 2

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

"honey ... I'm taking your Celerio down to the pub, and hang with the lads"

:cheesy:  :cheesy:  :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Is this your other MG that you couldn't fix..........😥

1973 MGB GT V8 CONVERSION For Sale By Auction In Ripon,, 59% OFF

More promising news on the battery technology front - a breakthrough on solid state sodium-ion batteries. 

Battery breakthrough could eliminate range anxiety for electric vehicles

Sodium has multiple advantages over lithium, being cheaper, more abundant, less polluting to produce and safer to use. Mass production of sodium batteries has been proving difficult, however this breakthrough "could overcome this obstacle through the mass synthesis of a highly conductive electrolyte."

Also, as the article points out: 

solid-state batteries could offer a range of 1,200 km, which is more than twice the range of electric vehicles currently on the market. Charge times for these new batteries could be as short as 10 minutes.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

More promising news on the battery technology front - a breakthrough on solid state sodium-ion batteries. 

Battery breakthrough could eliminate range anxiety for electric vehicles

Sodium has multiple advantages over lithium, being cheaper, more abundant, less polluting to produce and safer to use. Mass production of sodium batteries has been proving difficult, however this breakthrough "could overcome this obstacle through the mass synthesis of a highly conductive electrolyte."

Also, as the article points out: 

Good points.... Although, range anxiety is something I consider more akin to paranoia of the unknown rather than a geunie concern based in fact....   How many of us regularly folk really drive any further than 200km per day? - so range anxiety should never really come into it at all for the average person doing an average commute.

The primary concern I have always held for EV ownership is the 'price cliff' potential whereby any 'cost savings' of owning an EV are contradicted by the potentail loss of value of the vehicle after 6 or 7 years.

How much is a 6 year old Tesla these days ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Good points.... Although, range anxiety is something I consider more akin to paranoia of the unknown rather than a geunie concern based in fact....   How many of us regularly folk really drive any further than 200km per day? - so range anxiety should never really come into it at all for the average person doing an average commute.

While it's true that range anxiety might be more of a fear than a real thing for most typical drivers, if there's a battery which will offer you twice the range, a third or less of the charging time and is cheaper, safer and less polluting, then what's not to like?

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The primary concern I have always held for EV ownership is the 'price cliff' potential whereby any 'cost savings' of owning an EV are contradicted by the potentail loss of value of the vehicle after 6 or 7 years.

The used Teslas seem to hold their value pretty good. In the US, a new model 3 starts at just under $41K, and a six-year old is selling for about $25-30K 

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

The used Teslas seem to hold their value pretty good. In the US, a new model 3 starts at just under $41K, and a six-year old is selling for about $25-30K 

Which is better than an ICE and indicates that my concern of the 'price cliff' is possibly unwarranted. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Which is better than an ICE and indicates that my concern of the 'price cliff' is possibly unwarranted. 

Or about the same. A new Camry starts at about $26K in the US and a 2018 model sells for $11-30k. 

Keep in mind, a Tesla is not a Chevy Volt, and a Camry is not a Yugo. I'm guessing that at least in the US, Tesla and Toyota enjoy pretty good resale value. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agree, range isn't really an issue, especially with ranges of 500+ kms available, and even more in the short future, and soon to be reasonably priced.

Value after 6-7 yr, which is about the time we unloaded our first 3 ICEV purchased new.   Why, because after 125-150 kms, that's when things start to wrong with the motors.  All them 2000 plus parts, along with exhaust system, that will start rusting need replacing.

EV's electric motors aren't going to have that problem, hopefully, as tend the run forever.  Our thinking, unless upgrading just for the hell of it, doubtful, we'll never really sell the car.  Might buy a truck or van for O&A, and convert to RV, if one comes along soon that we like.

As suggested a few times, when the rest of the car can't keep up with the battery or motors, most likely scenario, the battery pack will be added to our solar system, and hopefully a market for the motors will established by then.

Savings on petrol alone, may even pay for the new EV.   Saving 40-50k a year  now, so 10 yrs or 20ys from now, buys a 500k or 1M baht new car, or good part of the funds towards it.   

Resale value, I don't need no stinkin' resale value ... :cheesy:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Not as much as it used to be 😊.

GIpxaE9WwAA1Hty.png

Above "used" Tesla prices pretty much follow below "new" Tesla prices.  If the new vehicle price drops the corresponding used vehicle price will drop.   Same thing happens for ICEV or most any product.

image.png.46360bdc50421292d3ba93d95548731c.png

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

@ExpatOilWorker does seem to be mellowing, he's almost "normal", it must be the holiday he's enjoying. Or maybe he test drove an EV and has seen the light?

We need to build a sustainable future for the next generation, by pumping $100 oil 😉 .

We are not there yet, neither with the sustainable future, $100 oil nor a (fully) change in my attitude 😀, but I am in good company and enjoying the holiday 🌴 🏝.

1712746398287.jpg

• Like 2