ICE vs EV, the debate thread

KhunLA

On 6/25/2024 at 8:17 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Could be. The autolife numbers are actually registrations and not just sales numbers.

Ignoring January, the D-segment is almost split 50/50 between ICE and EV's, which is also what we see on the road in Bangkok.

Hope you don't park next to one. 

https://blackmon.substack.com/p/watch-lithium-ion-batteries-spontaneously?utm_medium=email

• Confused 2

And don't be near any laptop, tablet, phone, cordless drill,  or the many other devices with lithium ion batteries.  

And below NBC News article gives more details on the fire such as the immigrant day labors who got killed.  Seems this factory/warehouse was an accident waiting to happen and it finally did unfortunately.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/fire-south-korea-lithium-battery-plant-kills-least-16-people-rcna158536

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2024 at 8:31 PM, Pib said:

EVs are EVERYWHERE in the greater Bangkok area...seeing more and more on the roads everyday as I drive and live in Bangkok....especially BYD Atto, Dolphin, and Seal. Also, plenty of ORA Good Cats and now seeing Changan Deepal's quite often.    So many EV models now.

Them Seals are a decent bit of kit.

I can see one in my future as a daily commuter.

• Thumbs Up 1

At the dealership which I drive by almost everyday here in Bangkok it not uncommon for me to see delivery of new BYD vehicles on 8 vehicle  carrier trucks once or twice a week and for sure I don't see all deliveries since I drive by at random times.  And this dealership probably keeps around 25 new vehicles inside and parked around the dealership at all times.   EVs sell very well in the Bangkok metro area.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think they were Seals, I know they were all white. Maybe a fleet purchase. 

Or simply many Thais along with many foreigners prefer white.  Nothing wrong with that as everyone has different color preferences....and Thais predominately prefer while, silver, grey, and black.....conservative colors.   Plus white is a good heat reflector in the tropics.   Gosh, there are so, so many white vehicles on Thailand roads which is fine.

I estimate approx half of personal/private cars on Thai roads is white....followed by silver/grey, and then black.  After those conservative colors which makes up the great bulk of all cars in Thailand comes the reds,  purples, yellows, etc., more flamboyant  colors. 

4 hours ago, Pib said:

Mid last year/2023 when I got the urge to buy a new car to replace/supplment my 2009 Toyota Fortuner

Mid may when I finally decided to do something about my 2004 Toyota pickup, I decided to buy another Toyota. ICEV, of course.

It should see me out ☠ . 

• Confused 1

New study breaks the age old myth that EV's require less maintenance: 

"Automakers have typically said that EVs are generally less problematic and require fewer repairs than ICE vehicles because they have a smaller number of parts and systems. However, J.D. Power's study with newly incorporated repair data shows EVs, as well as plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs), require more repairs than gas-powered vehicles in all repair categories.

J.D. Power’s study tracks responses from nearly 100,000 purchasers and lessees of 2024 vehicles within the first 90 days of ownership, and for the first time in the study’s 38-year history, it incorporates repair visit data. Overall, internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles averaged 180 PP100 (or 180 problems per 100 vehicles), while battery electric vehicles (BEVs) averaged a whopping 266 PP100, 86 points higher than ICE vehicles."

- J.D Power 2024-06

24 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

New study breaks the age old myth that EV's require less maintenance: 

"Automakers have typically said that EVs are generally less problematic and require fewer repairs than ICE vehicles because they have a smaller number of parts and systems. However, J.D. Power's study with newly incorporated repair data shows EVs, as well as plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs), require more repairs than gas-powered vehicles in all repair categories.

J.D. Power’s study tracks responses from nearly 100,000 purchasers and lessees of 2024 vehicles within the first 90 days of ownership, and for the first time in the study’s 38-year history, it incorporates repair visit data. Overall, internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles averaged 180 PP100 (or 180 problems per 100 vehicles), while battery electric vehicles (BEVs) averaged a whopping 266 PP100, 86 points higher than ICE vehicles."

- J.D Power 2024-06

Sorry, wrong. It is nothing to do with the drivetrain, batteries or motors, more troubles with tech like getting phones to connect and other high tech software issues (which legacy ICEVs don't have). It is annoyances for the new drivers, not reliability issues at all.

Normally when you post a claim you should provide a link rather than just cut and paste a bit that helps your narrative or pre-conceived biases.

https://insideevs.com/news/724798/are-evs-as-reliable/

"None of this should come as much of a shock. These types of surveys are typically a good measure of familiarity versus unfamiliarity. Old versus new. "

Or:

"One essential truism about automotive reliability: Older, more proven technology tends to be more reliable. Both in initial quality surveys and long-term reliability studies, consumers tend to be more satisfied with vehicles that use old-school technology. This is why Toyota and Honda—automakers that treat reliability as central to their mission—were slow to adopt turbocharging, slow to provide decent infotainment systems and slow to launch electric cars. (It's also why generations of cars like the Toyota 4Runner tend to stick around until they're old enough to buy their own cigarettes.)

It's also likely why Ram is at the top of the mainstream pack in J.D. Power's Initial Quality Study. If your previous truck was a Ram, and your new one uses the same 5.7-liter V-8, the same basic controls and the same fundamental U.I., you're unlikely to come back to the dealer confused or dissatisfied. That's key here because the IQS doesn't just cover things breaking, but also things that consumers are annoyed by."

Next!

Edited by josephbloggs