ICE vs EV, the debate thread

KhunLA

On 6/25/2024 at 8:17 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Could be. The autolife numbers are actually registrations and not just sales numbers.

Ignoring January, the D-segment is almost split 50/50 between ICE and EV's, which is also what we see on the road in Bangkok.

Hope you don't park next to one. 

https://blackmon.substack.com/p/watch-lithium-ion-batteries-spontaneously?utm_medium=email

• Confused 2

And don't be near any laptop, tablet, phone, cordless drill,  or the many other devices with lithium ion batteries.  

And below NBC News article gives more details on the fire such as the immigrant day labors who got killed.  Seems this factory/warehouse was an accident waiting to happen and it finally did unfortunately.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/fire-south-korea-lithium-battery-plant-kills-least-16-people-rcna158536

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2024 at 8:31 PM, Pib said:

EVs are EVERYWHERE in the greater Bangkok area...seeing more and more on the roads everyday as I drive and live in Bangkok....especially BYD Atto, Dolphin, and Seal. Also, plenty of ORA Good Cats and now seeing Changan Deepal's quite often.    So many EV models now.

Them Seals are a decent bit of kit.

I can see one in my future as a daily commuter.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

At the dealership which I drive by almost everyday here in Bangkok it not uncommon for me to see delivery of new BYD vehicles on 8 vehicle  carrier trucks once or twice a week and for sure I don't see all deliveries since I drive by at random times.  And this dealership probably keeps around 25 new vehicles inside and parked around the dealership at all times.   EVs sell very well in the Bangkok metro area.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think they were Seals, I know they were all white. Maybe a fleet purchase. 

Or simply many Thais along with many foreigners prefer white.  Nothing wrong with that as everyone has different color preferences....and Thais predominately prefer while, silver, grey, and black.....conservative colors.   Plus white is a good heat reflector in the tropics.   Gosh, there are so, so many white vehicles on Thailand roads which is fine.

I estimate approx half of personal/private cars on Thai roads is white....followed by silver/grey, and then black.  After those conservative colors which makes up the great bulk of all cars in Thailand comes the reds,  purples, yellows, etc., more flamboyant  colors. 

4 hours ago, Pib said:

Mid last year/2023 when I got the urge to buy a new car to replace/supplment my 2009 Toyota Fortuner

Mid may when I finally decided to do something about my 2004 Toyota pickup, I decided to buy another Toyota. ICEV, of course.

It should see me out ☠ . 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

50 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Mid may when I finally decided to do something about my 2004 Toyota pickup, I decided to buy another Toyota. ICEV, of course.

It should see me out ☠ . 

Thanks for sharing.

• Thumbs Up 1

New study breaks the age old myth that EV's require less maintenance: 

"Automakers have typically said that EVs are generally less problematic and require fewer repairs than ICE vehicles because they have a smaller number of parts and systems. However, J.D. Power's study with newly incorporated repair data shows EVs, as well as plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs), require more repairs than gas-powered vehicles in all repair categories.

J.D. Power’s study tracks responses from nearly 100,000 purchasers and lessees of 2024 vehicles within the first 90 days of ownership, and for the first time in the study’s 38-year history, it incorporates repair visit data. Overall, internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles averaged 180 PP100 (or 180 problems per 100 vehicles), while battery electric vehicles (BEVs) averaged a whopping 266 PP100, 86 points higher than ICE vehicles."

- J.D Power 2024-06

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

It should see me out ☠ . 

Mid 2010’s. I decided to get rid of my then partner and get a new one. I decided to go for another female as I don’t fancy French kissing another male and I wasn’t adventurous enough to go for a ladyboy.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

It should see me out ☠ . 

Congratulations.  A good solid, unexciting, safe choice.

• Agree 1

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/evs-are-giving-new-owners-more-headaches-and-tesla-is-a-big-reason-why-jd-power-study-180922855.html

EVs are giving new owners more headaches, and Tesla is a big reason why: J.D. Power study

J.D. Power's latest initial quality survey finds that EVs have more problems and higher severity of repairs compared to traditional autos.

J.D. Power’s study tracks responses from nearly 100,000 purchasers and lessees of 2024 vehicles within the first 90 days of ownership, and for the first time in the study’s 38-year history, it incorporates repair visit data. Overall, internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles averaged 180 PP100 (or 180 problems per 100 vehicles), while battery electric vehicles (BEVs) averaged a whopping 266 PP100, 86 points higher than ICE vehicles.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

To the person that gave me a confused emoji. I fully understand your confusion, presumably because you’ve never driven an EV. 

You see, in an ICEV, you get in, insert your key if it’s a particularly old or low tech vehicle and then crank the engine, either with the key or via a button. The engine then springs to life with a shudder and a puff of smoke. In an EV, you press a button (labelled start normally) and then… nothing. No drama. Just like pressing the ON button on a remote.

I liken it to the days when I was gainfully employed and having to travel for business. If you are unfortunate enough to fly cattle class, you struggle and squeeze your way along a narrow aisle to locate your seat, only to find the overhead cabin full with <deleted> from other passengers and you have to look for an empty space in another overhead cabin miles from your seat to plonk your carry on baggage.

On the other hand, at the front of the plane, the delightful and sometimes delicious stewardess show you to your seat and sometimes even offer to deposit your hand luggage on the voluminous cabin directly above your seat. Of course, being a gentleman, you would politely decline and do it yourself, implying that if she were to sit in your sexy performance EV, you would be holding the door open for her.

Don’t hesitate to seek further clarification if necessary. Regards.

One of the first cars with a button-based ignition was the 1912 Cadillac Model 30, which had you press a button to activate the electric starter that replaced the engine crank. 

https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/31/23144907/push-button-start-ignition-cars-convenience-history

Keyless ignition was initially only available on luxury cars starting in the late 1990s, but it has become increasingly common. From 2008 to 2018, it became a standard feature on 62% of cars sold in the United States, and today that number is closing in on 100%

https://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/going-keyless.html#:~:text=Keyless

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

One of the first cars with a button-based ignition was the 1912 Cadillac Model 30, which had you press a button to activate the electric starter that replaced the engine crank. 

https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/31/23144907/push-button-start-ignition-cars-convenience-history

Keyless ignition was initially only available on luxury cars starting in the late 1990s, but it has become increasingly common. From 2008 to 2018, it became a standard feature on 62% of cars sold in the United States, and today that number is closing in on 100%

https://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/going-keyless.html#:~:text=Keyless

Sigh. Both my Ford Ranger and Isuzu imax still have an ignition slot for the key. At least the Isuzu can be push started if necessary.

• Sad 1

On 6/29/2024 at 8:15 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Congratulations.  A good solid, unexciting, safe choice.

Exactly what my even older mate with a Mini Cooper thinks! 

20240415_142014_resized~2.jpg

16 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

The biggest headache I’m facing after over a year of EV ownership is not knowing whether my car is on or off. No sound, no vibration, no fumes. So annoying 

I had the same trouble with my new ICEV Toyota. A couple of days ago I pushed the start button and then realised I had already started it. 🙄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

To the person that gave me a confused emoji. I fully understand your confusion, presumably because you’ve never driven an EV. 

You see, in an ICEV, you get in, insert your key if it’s a particularly old or low tech vehicle and then crank the engine, either with the key or via a button. The engine then springs to life with a shudder and a puff of smoke. In an EV, you press a button (labelled start normally) and then… nothing. No drama. Just like pressing the ON button on a remote.

I liken it to the days when I was gainfully employed and having to travel for business. If you are unfortunate enough to fly cattle class, you struggle and squeeze your way along a narrow aisle to locate your seat, only to find the overhead cabin full with <deleted> from other passengers and you have to look for an empty space in another overhead cabin miles from your seat to plonk your carry on baggage.

On the other hand, at the front of the plane, the delightful and sometimes delicious stewardess show you to your seat and sometimes even offer to deposit your hand luggage on the voluminous cabin directly above your seat. Of course, being a gentleman, you would politely decline and do it yourself, implying that if she were to sit in your sexy performance EV, you would be holding the door open for her.

Don’t hesitate to seek further clarification if necessary. Regards.

I had to ask the salesman where the key was to my new ICEV Toyota. It was hidden in remote. 

Just to clarify. 😉

33 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

ICE all the way to my grave!

1970-chevrolet-chevelle-ss-454-ls-6

The nearest I had to that shape was a Ford 3 litre Capri. 

Although the Mustang was pretty close. 🙂

Mustang 1.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Exactly what my even older mate with a Mini Cooper thinks! 

20240415_142014_resized~2.jpg

I bought a Mini Cooper S Convertible for my office manager as a company car, he left shortly afterwards so I drove it for a couple of weeks.  I couldn't get comfortable in it, the car gave me backache so had to sell it.  It's the most uncomfortable car I have ever driven.