Norwegian man files complaint to Sattahip police against his Cambodian “girlfriend” after being allegedly ripped off for nearly 200,000-baht for false marriage promises

webfact

10 minutes ago, itsari said:

Not something to quirp about . It is predominantly Thai people that have the tendency to believe they can steal money from foreigners with no consequences here in Thailand . 

Yet your off topic with the comment unfortunately as much as I would agree with you.

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Really, what did she do? He gave her money, she got cold feet, where is the crime? If you came to a police station in Norway with this accuse, you would not have a case. Im positive it would have been dismissed. 

The Norwegians claim is that he sent money to the Cambodian girl for arranging a marriage . If she has not done as agreed then there is fraud involved .

In Norway it would be more likely that it would be considered a civil case 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, itsari said:

My comments i believe are spot on topic . I was wanting to put a different angle on many posting on Asian Now that the Norwegian is a fool for giving the money to the Cambodian girl . Forget it and move on .

That is exactly the reason this type of stealing will not stop .

Still giving her 1000 baht everytime they are talking during two years or more online, and claiming a fraud? If he gave her 200k for the wedding in one transfer or lets say 3 or 4 transfers marked wedding costs, I could aggree with you it is a fraud, but christ sake he is paying her 1000,- baht for each internet session over two years. 

53 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Odds they end up married, if only briefly?

Since she's already dating a new foreigner, not likely.  Would love to hear from the new guy.  I'm sure he knows her version of events.  He should chime in if he's reading this thread!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Interesting case...

He's claiming that the money was neither a gift, an engagement gift, or sin sod. It was money paid for a specific commercial purpose: arranging documents at an embassy, which she failed to do. He's saying that contract law should apply, not marital property law. Clever argument.

Well, that he need to pay 1000 bhat per session? I hope that was long session. The guy is trying to just stick it to the gal when she left his cheap ass for 5000 bhat per session sucker!

• Sad 1

1,000 x 24 months does not add up to 200K. There's a good chance that a portion of the money was paid in some sort of lump sum for a specific purpose. If this was a case of the guy being strung along for a few years at 1000 baht a pop, the police would tell him it was not a criminal matter and he should pursue his claim in civil court. The claim that at least some of the money was given for the specific purpose of "arranging documents" makes this a potential case of fraud, which the police are obligated to investigate. Putting the pressure of potential prosecution on the girl is probably the guy's best chance to recoup his money.

All the schadenfreude here is a just a vain attempt to mask the truth that much the same thing has happened to plenty of guys on this forum. It's rather sad (and telling) that Thai expats are so unsupportive of one another.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, LarrySR said:

After he filled the report, the attorney and police laughed and laughed and laughed. 
When they finally composed themselves and wiped away the tears, they sat around dreaming up the ways they could defraud this farang sucker out of more money. 

No shortage of wealthy gullible farangs and no shortage of those willing to take advantage of their "innocence".

1 hour ago, itsari said:

My comments i believe are spot on topic . I was wanting to put a different angle on many posting on Asian Now that the Norwegian is a fool for giving the money to the Cambodian girl . Forget it and move on .

You are 100% correct itsari, and bravo to you for having the guts to speak up. Just look at the ridicule and humiliation this guy has been subjected to on this thread. It causes people to hide in shame when this happens, which is another reason why this cycle of financial abuse continues. People write this off as "stupidity" and "gullibility" without taking into consideration that cultural disorientation, and outright fraud often play a prominent role in this activity.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

All the schadenfreude 

Skadefryd in Norwegian. 

It is not about the joy of his pain, it is more to be true, the missing connection with most expats in Thailand. I have never met so many broken and naive men in all different ages, or so many stubburn men, who is not willing to take a good look at themselves before doom all the women and thailand without giving them one thought about where they are coming from, or even think about the society they have grown up in. Still they claim to be free of guilt and themselves do nothing wrong and are completely innocent in whatever happens to them. And everyone know best and not interested to listening when some good advices is given. 

After a few mistakes, broken and broke, thay give up normal relationships and trust no one anymore. To go to trial for this matter as my fellow Norwegian do, takes alot hate and the desire for revenge. It is not about the money. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

His attorney, Prateep Nakbangkerd, told the local media that filing such complaints may bring justice and can be a case study for foreigners living in Thailand who are defrauded and lied to.

Never happen, not enough money in Thai circulation to pay that off debt

Even his attorney needs money

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

His attorney, Prateep Nakbangkerd, told the local media that filing such complaints may bring justice and can be a case study for foreigners living in Thailand who are defrauded and lied to.

Gullible  idiots do seem to flock  here it's very true!

2 hours ago, itsari said:

It is spot on for all nationalities and a fool and his money are soon parted, yet this topic is about a Cambodian woman taking a Norwegian to the cleaners and no one else.  Off topic again.

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

You are 100% correct itsari, and bravo to you for having the guts to speak up. Just look at the ridicule and humiliation this guy has been subjected to on this thread. It causes people to hide in shame when this happens, which is another reason why this cycle of financial abuse continues. People write this off as "stupidity" and "gullibility" without taking into consideration that cultural disorientation, and outright fraud often play a prominent role in this activity.

Yet it happens in all cultures and not just due to cultural disorientation as you say.  It is unfortunately endemic in much of the world.  All countries, but again this is a topic about a Norwegian taken to the cleaners by his Cambodian girlfriend here in Thailand and nothing else.

Yes, this is another live and learn story.  I am lucky to be married to a Thai woman with a

good heart, and do feel sorry that this guy trusted someone too soon. 

This is why a long distant relationship should not involve money.

The Norwegian fellow, should have waited until he was in Thailand to be

taking his relationship to the next level.  Lesson learned.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is spot on for all nationalities and a fool and his money are soon parted, yet this topic is about a Cambodian woman taking a Norwegian to the cleaners and no one else.  Off topic again.

I suspect you are winding me up somehow. I try once more . The Norwegian has filed the complaint in Thailand . The whole saga has nothing to do with Cambodia . Not off topic at all Have a good day Mr Ryan

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet it happens in all cultures and not just due to cultural disorientation as you say.  It is unfortunately endemic in much of the world.  All countries, but again this is a topic about a Norwegian taken to the cleaners by his Cambodian girlfriend here in Thailand and nothing else.

Endemic in Thailand thats for sure

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, itsari said:

I suspect you are winding me up somehow. I try once more . The Norwegian has filed the complaint in Thailand . The whole saga has nothing to do with Cambodia . Not off topic at all Have a good day Mr Ryan

Is the woman a Thai or Cambodian?  Asked and answered you missed the point, does not matter that the case was filed in Thailand.

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Many know the feeling but so many and make it straight forward when giving a substantial loan it is just that but they have no intention on giving it back and insist and lie through their teeth and state it was a gift.
Thais v expat who wins and  yes then claim pay back to a distant member of the extended family and yes state that they were very persistent and persuasive and so give their loan back to the wrong member of family.
Only in Thailand though I am sure this goes on everywhere in the world  and yes another topic but wills not worth the paper they are written on.