Cookies or Snoopers? Does anybody really want them? Does anybody click: 'Accept all'?

The Hammer2021

That "cookie law" is the most idiotic law in the IT field ever issued. These banners are way too invasive and annoying, I simply add them to the ad-blocker blacklist or ignore them if they are not that large.

Also clicking "reject all cookies" is just fooling yourself: I know at least four methods of effectively tracking users online without using any cookies, and I'm a layman in the web development, an expert web developer will track you with a dozen of other methods.

• Like 1

I click mostly on what is easy. Maybe "accept only necessary" or something similar but also often enough on "accept all".

Why? Because it's easy and in a way I don't care what companies do with my browsing activity. I.e. maybe I look on banggood at some electronic part. And for the next week I see advertisement for that and similar parts. Annoying, yes. But what's the alternative? There will be advertisement. And maybe it's advertisement for something that I might be interested in or advertisement for just anything.

Personally I prefer advertisement for electronic parts instead of maybe break enhancements or a dishwasher or whatever.

Even if we try that companies don't follow what we do it is almost impossible to do that perfectly. Companies and countries and whoever will log the activities of people and there is nothing we can do about it except not using the internet.

I don't volunteer with any data, i.e. I don't use fb to publish details about me. But I think it's too much effort to try to avoid any tracking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

My view is that you are far to scared of the online world. It all has to do with how much of you personal information you put in the computer. It just doesn´t get there by itself.

Do you use anti virus software? Does that make you scared? Or are you really brave..lol You seemed not to  understand  the difference  between caution and fear nor comprehend informed  awareness...Or are you just trolling?

33 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

What's your view?

I reject to answer your question as I find it intrusive and spy-like ????, I'm joking, sometimes I click accept and sometimes I don't, not a huge worry for me, in fact it helps tailor the ads I see on sites; for example if I visit a car or motorbike website and I accept their cookies, I know I'll soon see ads for cars or motorbikes, the same for others areas; cooking, home-improvement, etc.  I'll see ads that I have an actual interest in rather than seeing random ads of zero interest to me like adult diapers, smoker's toothpaste and scuba gear.

Cookies track behavior on a particular website, and can be useful if you visit the site regularly. They don't track who you are but do track what you're doing on that site.

It's easy enough to clear your browser cache, which can include removing all cookies. I'm with OneMoreFarang - I choose the path of least resistance. If I'm visiting a dodgy site I use the Brave browser.

5 hours ago, fdsa said:

That "cookie law" is the most idiotic law in the IT field ever issued. These banners are way too invasive and annoying, I simply add them to the ad-blocker blacklist or ignore them if they are not that large.

Also clicking "reject all cookies" is just fooling yourself: I know at least four methods of effectively tracking users online without using any cookies, and I'm a layman in the web development, an expert web developer will track you with a dozen of other methods.

If you are utilising the right Browsers in the right way, then it doesn't matter if you choose Accept or Reject, as the Browser can thwart Third Party efforts to track you.

Cookies are actually required for any site that involves logging into an account. If you reject the cookies, then the site is forced to place the "session" information into the URL itself. Guess what? .... Right. Not sure why you would care that much. Frankly, the information being generated by your mobile is much "scarier" than any web browser tracking data.

• Like 1

Guest Isaanlife

Did a full PC Clean.

Removed 44 trackers.

Visit one website, Amazon.com

Look how many trackers (9) Amazon installed on my PC just from opening Amazon's homepage?

Trackers are how all the different websites track what you are viewing and then send ads to your FB, here and any other sites you visit

If you visit a bunch of different websites, there will be 100's of trackers installed watching/recording all your habits

t3.PNG.5d8b54a70cc7863b4fb8fa1a78472ccd.PNGt2.PNG.4797ce02fde87b58e7d5da9f6e579b5a.PNGt3.PNG.5d8b54a70cc7863b4fb8fa1a78472ccd.PNG

t2.PNG

1 hour ago, Isaanlife said:

Did a full PC Clean.

Removed 44 trackers.

Visit one website, Amazon.com

Look how many trackers (9) Amazon installed on my PC just from opening Amazon's homepage?

Trackers are how all the different websites track what you are viewing and then send ads to your FB, here and any other sites you visit

If you visit a bunch of different websites, there will be 100's of trackers installed watching/recording all your habits

t3.PNG.5d8b54a70cc7863b4fb8fa1a78472ccd.PNGt2.PNG.4797ce02fde87b58e7d5da9f6e579b5a.PNGt3.PNG.5d8b54a70cc7863b4fb8fa1a78472ccd.PNG

t2.PNG

Your Browser should be blocking all other than is necessary. Removing them afterwards is akin to remembering to shut the door of the stable after the horse has already escaped to freedom.

10 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Do you use anti virus software? Does that make you scared? Or are you really brave..lol You seemed not to  understand  the difference  between caution and fear nor comprehend informed  awareness...Or are you just trolling?

The difference is that I work online since 20 year back, and you just sound as a Facebook reader. That makes me know what I am talking about, and you don´t.

Of course you should use an anti virus software. That protects you from virus and attacks. That is not to be compared to cookies, that are used to create a user experience as well as collect your browsing activities. Regular cookies do not collect your private information, as long as you do not register and fill them in at a specific page.

And, another thing. Do never use the word trolling just because a person do not agree with you, trying to explain something that you do not comprehend.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 2

"User Experience" LOL that's another way of saying yes you sucker we want to know all about you and your interests and way of life and then we can use algorithms to work out your politics and your shoe size etc etc.

It's true even if you reject all (and what on earth constitutes "legitimate interest") you will be tracked one way or another. Also some cookies and tokens are useful (from banks that allow you to log in without that ridiculous OTP). I use a free piece of software call Privazer to decide which cookies/tokens I want to keep and then I regularly get rid of all the others

11 hours ago, ChristianBlessing said:

Cookies track behavior on a particular website, and can be useful if you visit the site regularly. They don't track who you are but do track what you're doing on that site.

if they are cookies of that particular website, not cookies of the corporations which technologies are used by that website.

90% of all wesites use "fonts.googleapis.com" and/or "google analytics" and/or Cloudflare CDN and that allows Google and Cloudflare effectively track all your actions across entire Internet.

11 hours ago, Greenie5000 said:

If you are utilising the right Browsers in the right way, then it doesn't matter if you choose Accept or Reject, as the Browser can thwart Third Party efforts to track you.

are you an another blind promoter of the Brave browser? FYI Brave sucks hard in terms of privacy.

15 minutes ago, fdsa said:

if they are cookies of that particular website, not cookies of the corporations which technologies are used by that website.

90% of all wesites use "fonts.googleapis.com" and/or "google analytics" and/or Cloudflare CDN and that allows Google and Cloudflare effectively track all your actions across entire Internet.

are you an another blind promoter of the Brave browser? FYI Brave sucks hard in terms of privacy.

Please do not write nonsense. Just ask me in a normal manner if you want to know.

No; in answer to your question. Though I do use Brave on my mobile phone for general ad free browsing; but not on my PC. I have more secure Browsers for my PC since that is where I do anything that might be considered sensitive.

Each Browser having it's own level of security. For instance I have customised and locked down Firefox.  Not much will get past it; but not every website will display in the way they intend.

Plus a couple of other Browsers modified for my usage when I need things to work, but still make it difficult for any third parties to track.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Greenie5000 said:

Each Browser having it's own level of security. For instance I have customised and locked down Firefox.  Not much will get past it; but not every website will display in the way they intend.

Plus a couple of other Browsers modified for my usage when I need things to work, but still make it difficult for any third parties to track.

???? same here, I use modified Firefox for general browsing (with multiple profiles, to separate the cache and other stuff like local storage) and <deleted> Chrome (ungoogled-chromium flavour) for a few websites that I have to use and that do not work in Firefox because their hipster developers used a bleeding edge web technologies for the eye-candy.

as for the manners - there are just too many people who blindly promote Brave because some talking head in Youtube told them so, not because they understand how Web and browsers work internally.

• Like 1

Guest Isaanlife
16 hours ago, Greenie5000 said:

Your Browser should be blocking all other than is necessary. Removing them afterwards is akin to remembering to shut the door of the stable after the horse has already escaped to freedom.

Browser does not block them all even with all the settings as such.

Guest Isaanlife
19 hours ago, Greenie5000 said:

Sorry mate the browser is NOT 100% effective in doing this

22 minutes ago, Isaanlife said:

Sorry mate the browser is NOT 100% effective in doing this

36 minutes ago, Isaanlife said:

Browser does not block them all even with all the settings as such.

What Browser and which settings? It's easy to make a blanket statement. How about some details?

You could run the same software once I closed my Browser and you would find nothing.

Removing them after the fact is useless. 

On 1/11/2022 at 1:06 PM, fdsa said:

FYI Brave sucks hard in terms of privacy.

Compared to what - everything is relative.

On 1/11/2022 at 1:46 PM, fdsa said:

there are just too many people who blindly promote Brave because some talking head in Youtube told them so, not because they understand how Web and browsers work internally.

In reality how many people would know that? I respectfully suggest that for many of those people using Brave (with basic settings changes) is going to give them a more private experience than many other mainstream browsers - and certainly stops nearly all ads.

On 1/11/2022 at 1:30 PM, Greenie5000 said:

I have more secure Browsers for my PC since that is where I do anything that might be considered sensitive.

Can you share? (I have a supposedly "hardened" Firefox but as you mention it does break some sites.)

On 1/12/2022 at 1:27 AM, StayinThailand2much said:

It's simple. I usually don't want to waste time with cookie(s) (policies). If I'm offered 'block', I'll block them, but usually I just click 'accept all' to avoid going through more windows popping up.

I also click on "Accept All" but clear all cookies at the end of a browsing / surfing session.  This way, the cookie is phoning home days, weeks, months into the future.

• Like 1