COVID-19: Thailand reports 7,133 new coronavirus cases, 12 deaths, 3,306 recoveries

webfact

COV11.jpg

File photo credit: Freepik

Thailand on Tuesday (January 11) reported 7,133 new COVID-19 cases, 3,306 recoveries and 12 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

▶︎ Infections outside prisons: 7,088. Prisons: 45

▶︎ Recoveries: 3,306

Tuesday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 2,284,609 with 21,850 deaths.

The news comes as Thailand has so far found 5,397 cases of Covid-19 with the new variant having spread to 71 out of 77 provinces in the country, the government said on Monday.

“Lab tests confirmed,” said Dr Sumanee Wacharasin, an assistant spokeswoman of the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA).

Out of 15,345 Covid samples that were taken from around the country between November 1 and January 9, 64.71 per cent were Delta and 35.17 per cent were Omicron.

*Thai Enquirer contributed to this report

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update11JAN).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-11

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Sorry but to me this doesn't make sense to me. A highly contageous virus spreading throughout the country and numbers of infected going down. 

Perhaps this is Sunday's testing numbers?

10 minutes ago, club said:

The hospital I am in did a second PCR TEST 4days after I got here. They said it was being sent to another lab to find out what variant it was. I asked how long will it take for results. they said 1 to 2 weeks. Then I get a call from the nurse and she says the sample they took did not detect the virus, but since I tested positive at the test and go hotel I have to complete 10 days of quarantine. 

I am truly sorry to hear this.  How can the government state that 35.17% of the cases are Omicron when it takes 1 to 2 weeks to get results which show negative but because maybe they are positive you must go to our jail.  I really hope that people considering travel to Thailand now get to see this real world experience.  It is just not in control.  I do not believe the posted daily COVID numbers.  I see many people out disregarding social distancing at this time, although mask wearing remains pretty good.  But it is not clear how much masks help with the Omicron spread.  And then this government thinks it is doing a good job.  Wow.  The best thing for now is either get jabbed or stay at home.  I do not trust these numbers.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Looking at the graph and the evidence that was provided only by this Government would lead one to believe we are over the top and on the backside after only a modest rise.  In fact this Government just put in regulations and restrictions effective yesterday and started the process to open up new locations for treatment as well as supplying those isolating at home.

actions speak louder than words - as usual the public are left guessing with this government, it is truly shameful

43 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Sorry but to me this doesn't make sense to me. A highly contageous virus spreading throughout the country and numbers of infected going down. 

it's already run it's course

the sick stay quiet

the very sick elderly don't have the money to go to hospital

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, club said:

The hospital I am in did a second PCR TEST 4days after I got here. They said it was being sent to another lab to find out what variant it was. I asked how long will it take for results. they said 1 to 2 weeks. Then I get a call from the nurse and she says the sample they took did not detect the virus, but since I tested positive at the test and go hotel I have to complete 10 days of quarantine. 

I said this before - there is some dodgy testing going on in BKK - remember testing positive is a ## load of money they are able to gouge out of you - I smell scam all over this

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, koratkarlos said:

But it is not clear how much masks help with the Omicron spread. 

I suspect mask wearing doesn't make it worse.

I agree on staying home and decided not to attend a meeting today......and Mrs off to try and get a booster shortly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

There is no mass-testing here. People with a cold-like symptom aren't gonna be bothered going to wait at a hospital for 3 hours to get a Covid test. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

I said this before - there is some dodgy testing going on in BKK - remember testing positive is a ## load of money they are able to gouge out of you - I smell scam all over this

Was thinking the same thing

1 hour ago, smedly said:

Well I guess then you likely don't have the Covid19 as one of the most common symptoms is loss of sense-of-smell.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html

• Haha 1

Don’t know which variant?

Here are the symptoms that indicate which Covid variant you are infected with.

FIvIKF5VIAMZhTh.jpg.339dd7ca3b12d5eb464082017b80f2ba.jpg

https://twitter.com/NBTWORLDNews/status/1480713570480500738

Or from the Zoe app in the UK which has millions of daily users, symptoms for Omicron are:

Runny nose

Headache

Fatigue (mild or severe)

Sneezing

Sore throat

While Omicron may feel more like a cold to many of us, it can still hospitalize and ultimately, kill and leave people suffering with long-term symptoms that disrupt their day-to-day lives. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Out of 15,345 Covid samples that were taken from around the country between November 1 and January 9, 64.71 per cent were Delta and 35.17 per cent were Omicron.

15,345 Tests only, over a period of nearly 10 weeks. !!!!!!!

Thats about 1,534 per week

Or, 219 or so, Per Day

Spread that over77 Provinces, and you have a test rate of 2.84 Tests per Province, per Day.

I guess they only work in the testing labs from 10.00 to 11.00 on alternate Tuesdays to process these tests.

• Like 1

Virologist says Omicron variant becoming dominant in Thailand faster than anticipated

Senior Thai virologist Dr. Yong Poovorawan said today (Tuesday) that the Omicron variant is becoming the dominant strain of COVID-19 in Thailand faster than predicted, overtaking Delta.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/virologist-says-omicron-variant-becoming-dominant-in-thailand-faster-than-anticipated/

• Like 2