Do you ever feel really accepted as an expat in Thailand?

webfact

On 1/13/2022 at 9:59 AM, Hummin said:

But still, you are not a citizen of Thailand, you are just on visa permission still after 20 years. 

I keep a foot inside my home country, still paying taxes for social security there and can move home and benefit from all social services from day one. I also have EU rights, and can travel, work and live all over EU and also have local social security in other EU countries. I also have a right to have reunion with my gf/wife from Thailand, and they also will have full social security coverage from day one, and after 3 years become a citizen of the EU country we choose to live in. 

Im a guest in Thailand, and I will always be a guest, nothing more. 

"Guest"????????????????????????????????????????????

1 minute ago, Chris.B said:

In Thailand foreigners are called Aliens, says it all really. ☹️

That's because technically that is exactly what we are ????

Alien: 

noun

• 1.a foreigner, especially one who is not a naturalized citizen of the country where he or she is living:

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Alien: 

noun

• 1.a foreigner, especially one who is not a naturalized citizen of the country where he or she is living:

That definition is not what springs to mind when being called an Alien.

This is what a real Alien looks like ...... 

What we want to see from the Alien TV show | Space

23 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"Guest"????????????????????????????????????????????

Yes I'm a paying guest in Thailand! 

Thailand invite me to retire here under some specific rules! As long I qualify and they accept me, I stay here

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

When most of us settle in Thailand, we know what we have to deal with! Rules that can change from year to year as the will be another military coup again one day!

And I believe most expect to much, and are both naive and ignorant when they burn all bridges and gamble on Thailand for rest of their life!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, farangnomore said:

I don't think so.  I'd much rather be Mexican in the USA than farang in Thailand, as far as being accepted and fairly treated go.

USA laws do not distinguish between citizens and foreigners.  No double pricing, everyone is treated equally everywhere.  What kind of jobs Mexicans do in the USA is another story, but nobody mistreats them for that. 

This is not necessarily true.

You cannot get some jobs unless you are a citizens, deportations and data collection by the government.

You are also comparing immigrants versus long term tourist, you can become a permanent resident  in Thailand and receive some of the same treatment.

I hear about the double pricing things and just laugh, you ever heard of out of state tuition? what about people living in a tourist zone in the US?, taxis taking people around NY city to run up the meter (Oh ride hailing now takes care of this problem).

Are our home countries more welcoming to Thais than Thailand to us? How much easier is it in our home country to get a visa for a non-married partner for living together? Would many people not be happy if their home country avoids selling out land to foreigners? Sometimes I wonder if some people's expectations to Thailand are coming from a colonial mindset?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Yes I'm a paying guest in Thailand! 

Thailand invite me to retire here under some specific rules! As long I qualify and they accept me, I stay here

Thailand invited you to retire here?? Can you please send a screenshot of the invitation?

The soldiers running the country are trying to get rid of us, you know us farangs who are dirty and don't shower.

"Yes I'm a paying guest in Thailand!" Really? Paying what? Who to? The unelected General who is posing as a pm? :cheesy:

No. But it does not matter. Acceptance means very little to me. Never really felt at home in the US. I tend to create my own reality. I am loved by my wife and her family, and some friends. Being accepted by society here means little to me. 

The government here despises expats. And we despise them. However, I really like most Thai people. So, all good. Why the need for acceptance? 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Alien: 

noun

I rather like being an alien. Never really fit in back in the US. Acceptance is over rated. 

3 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Let me break this down for you.  In Thailand, they have a language called "Thai". Getting upset because of a translated or misused English word is pretty pathetic.

BUT

They probably get the use of the word "Alien" because of the largest English speaking country, where foreigners are described that way.

"Under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) of the United States, "[t]he term 'alien' means any person not a citizen or national of the United States." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(law)#:~:text=Under the Immigration and Nationality,the Marshall Islands%2C are legal

In other words - it's just you. 

Edited by pedro01
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Let me break this down for you.  In Thailand, they have a language called "Thai". Getting upset because of a translated or misused English word is pretty pathetic.

BUT

They probably get the use of the word "Alien" because of the largest English speaking country, where foreigners are described that way.

"Under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) of the United States, "[t]he term 'alien' means any person not a citizen or national of the United States." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(law)#:~:text=Under the Immigration and Nationality,the Marshall Islands%2C are legal

WOW! you spent all that time on research and concocting dribble to flame a one liner I wrote. I am truely flattered!  :jap:  :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

• Like 2

No, of course I am not 100% accepted, but actually I am humbled and pleased by how many do accept me considering how some of my fellow farang behave here. And I may occasionally have my peculiarities too. Also, I never really tried to integrate more, eg my Thai language skills are laughable, no Thai wife, few acquaintances.

Overall, I feel ok here.

Edited by arithai12
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Chris.B said:

In the USA, foreigners even those with green cards are aliens.  It simply means not national.  An Alien can be an "American person" but not an American national".

In meely mouthed European countries there are refugess and occasionally immigrants.  Using the word alien might "offend" someone which means being cancelled as the death penalty has been abolished. 

4 hours ago, Klonko said:

Are our home countries more welcoming to Thais than Thailand to us? How much easier is it in our home country to get a visa for a non-married partner for living together? Would many people not be happy if their home country avoids selling out land to foreigners? Sometimes I wonder if some people's expectations to Thailand are coming from a colonial mindset?

People who went to the colonies to administer and educate the natives did not worry about being accepted and fitting in.  In fact going native was frowned upon.  But then also until 100-150 years ago sodiers in the British and Indian armies preferred a proper officer, one bred into the officer class rather than a man who had come from the ranks.

25 minutes ago, thaibook said:

In the USA, foreigners even those with green cards are aliens.  It simply means not national.  An Alien can be an "American person" but not an American national".

In meely mouthed European countries there are refugess and occasionally immigrants.  Using the word alien might "offend" someone which means being cancelled as the death penalty has been abolished. 

We are discussing Thailand here, not America.  ????

Edited by Chris.B

On 1/13/2022 at 10:27 AM, Taboo2 said:

Agree...I love how the Thais protect their country and culture.  You will never see what happened to Sweden (when they imported those folks from another part of the world), where there are parts of the country that is a "No-Go" zone for Swedes.  I have much respect for the Thai people, police and military for ensuring that no one will ever come to Thailand and then make life hard for Thais in their own country! 

Except the Chinese came here and did make life difficult for the Thais.

• Like 1

Two things come to mind when the subject of foreigners wishing to be accepted presents itself to me:

1998-2001

"The Coopers (Kapoors) and Robinsons (Rabindranaths) – Two snobbish nouveau riche couples who claim to be entirely English with no Indian blood whatsoever, but often give themselves away by using each other's real names, mispronouncing words or making silly mistakes such as serving guests some Pimm's with sliced courgettes in it. They refuse to acknowledge their real ethnic background under any circumstances, and become very upset whenever anyone refers to them as foreigners."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodness_Gracious_Me_(TV_series)

And:

c2007

Of course it's all very different now.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pedro01 said:

BUT

I remember in the early 00's there was a tourism campaign that pictured foreigners as actual aliens, with big almond eyes, interacting with local Thais who were pictured as very much human; driving taxis, vendors etc.

To be accepted as an expat?

In some expat circles, the term expat is more narrowly defined… only those who are on a full expat package paid in full by their employer are deemed worthy of the designation, and all other foreigners on a local package… they are locals. 

To be accepted as a local?

Unless you can really look the part and talk the part, never in a lifetime.

How about well regarded?

One observation in my 25 years living in Asia, once you go south of the Thai border (Malaysia, Indonesia & Singapore), white folks tend to get treated better, given more respect and viewed as higher in status. This is even a frequent complaint by locals when they fly Singapore Airlines. It’s subtle, but it’s there.

North of the border, whites tend not to be seen in the same light. In fact whites can be seen more as a nuisance to be tolerated, at best. This extends up to Hong Kong, Korea & Japan as well.

On 1/13/2022 at 9:46 AM, petermik said:

And how do you avoid looking like a westerner????

Bake in the sun 3 hours a day, lose your white skin, voice several Thai words and numbers or better yet a full sentence, they will take that hesitant extra 'look' at you..... you are blending in........