Do you ever feel really accepted as an expat in Thailand?

webfact

If in Thailand just learning to say No and keeping your finances in order goes a long way. Maybe not completely accepted but I have to say I respected myself and lived a nice life. If not for the air pollution I would still be there. Or in SE Asia somewhere. Personally I liked Malaysia allot also (and I know all the cons of living there). But, I liked Georgetown much better than BKK, for big city living.

Edited by garyk

21 hours ago, Chris.B said:

English is not your first language then?  ????

"Falung" - hahaha

It may interest you to hear that the word "Farang" is actually Thai.

Transliterating  Thai to the latin alphapbet is not an absolute science, either.

Epic backfire.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chris.B said:

WOW! you spent all that time on research and concocting dribble to flame a one liner I wrote. I am truely flattered!  :jap:  :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

No - I spent 0 time in research. Some of us retain information in our heads via a mechanism called memorisation.

Been in the village for 20+ years and today was just typical. TW received a call from a doctor at our local Govt. clinic asking if @bdenner wants a Pfizer booster. I initially said no as I'm only at 4 months, she says no worries that's OK - so I go 300 meters up the road and have my booster. Will be in the MOPH Monday after processing at our Amphur Hospital.

Get that into you Anutan!! He doesn't respect me.

On 1/14/2022 at 4:49 PM, pedro01 said:

They probably get the use of the word "Alien" because of the largest English speaking country, where foreigners are described that way.

"Under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) of the United States, "[t]he term 'alien' means any person not a citizen or national of the United States."

I thought the largest english speaking country was India, while the US is on its way to become the US is on it's way to become the the largest Spanish speaking country.

Something to be proud of, isn't?

2 hours ago, bdenner said:

Been in the village for 20+ years and today was just typical. TW received a call from a doctor at our local Govt. clinic asking if @bdenner wants a Pfizer booster. I initially said no as I'm only at 4 months, she says no worries that's OK - so I go 300 meters up the road and have my booster. Will be in the MOPH Monday after processing at our Amphur Hospital.

Ok fine, but I am marginally worried about "TW".

The answer to the question is yes, as long as you live in an area heavily populated by foreigners. I would not want to live in a Thai village in some rural area. You need to be in an area where the Thais are familiar with foreigners and you can at least get by with English. It's Pattaya and nowhere else for me.

In Pattaya, you're seen as a tourist, even if you're an expat. That's fine by me.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

No. I practice a form of masculine reality creation. No aromatherapy or potpourri for me. 

Whatever. But that's not what you said. You just posted a New Age slogan:

download.jpg

As far as masculine reality creation, that sounds like the late and not lamented Mr. Epstein:

Jeffrey E. Epstein, the wealthy financier who is accused of sex trafficking, had an unusual dream: He hoped to seed the human race with his DNA by impregnating women at his vast New Mexico ranch.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/31/business/jeffrey-epstein-eugenics.html

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, bdenner said:

What's your point?

Edited by scorecard

3 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

download.jpg

As far as masculine reality creation, that sounds like the late and not lamented Mr. Epstein:

Jeffrey E. Epstein, the wealthy financier who is accused of sex trafficking, had an unusual dream: He hoped to seed the human race with his DNA by impregnating women at his vast New Mexico ranch.

Wrong again. It is about maintaining and preserving our vestiges of manhood in the face of a war on masculinity being waged by the me too extremists, and the feminists. Fortunately for alot of us who still have some testosterone, Thai women seem to love a real man. One who is not afraid to make a decision, one who has a sense of himself, one who is not emasculated, and powerless, and one who is comfortable being the man of the house. Especially when he is with a healthy Thai woman who is innately comfortable manifesting the immense amounts of dignity within femininity. 

It is about men comfortable being men, and women comfortable being women. A very alien concept in the West, and in other very weak, emasculated nations like OZ, and NZ. It has nothing to do with the new age stuff you are totally hung up on. It is just a phrase I made up for fun. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

download.jpg

Edited by spidermike007

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Wrong again. It is about maintaining and preserving our vestiges of manhood in the face of a war on masculinity being waged by the me too extremists, and the feminists. Fortunately for alot of us who still have some testosterone, Thai women seem to love a real man. One who is not afraid to make a decision, one who has a sense of himself, one who is not emasculated, and powerless, and one who is comfortable being the man of the house. Especially when he is with a healthy Thai woman who is innately comfortable manifesting the immense amounts of dignity within femininity. 

That's Ok. This time you left out that my responses were lame and that I didn't think before posting and that you have a high level of self-esteem and a discerning mind, but that's Ok.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, JensenZ said:

The answer to the question is yes, as long as you live in an area heavily populated by foreigners.

But then again these areas are not really Thailand, are they?

I would not want to live in a Thai village in some rural area.

Same here, I can't fathom guys living all their life in an urban (or at least suburban area) in their own country, ending up moving with some uneducated sex worker they met in a sleazy part of Thailand back to their village. That's just beyond comprehension for me.

You need to be in an area where the Thais are familiar with foreigners and you can at least get by with English.

Correct and that severely limits your options, Pattaya, Phuket or Bangkok it is.

It's Pattaya and nowhere else for me.

Same here, proud (ex)-resident of Pattaya City. I'd rarely ever need a reason to leave the city, even a trip to Jomtien south or Banglamung north felt like sailing in uncharted waters.

In Pattaya, you're seen as a tourist, even if you're an expat. That's fine by me.

Fine as well. Even using visa on arrivals or extensions back to back all year around including the occasional visa run to a neighboring country and then... all of a sudden they started cracking down on everything and on everyone for "no reasons"...

Interesting question.

I speak both Thai and Lao, so I can understand with the entire population around me.

Now the question of am I accepted is a rather difficult one

Folks interact me me, but there is always a certain distance

My wife is Thai, but an odd duck. She grew up in the US, before moving to Singapore, where we met, then back to her home in Thailand.

She'll openly admit that even as a Thai, as someone who spend many years overseas, she's never quite seen as Thai.

So for a farang go figure!

15 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

How can you say  "I tend to create my own reality" is a phrase you made up for fun when you can buy it on a T-shirt? 

A13usaonutL._CLa_500,468_41dXwNp8D4L.png_0,0,500,468+0.0,0.0,500.0,468.0_AC_.jpg

More distortion of the facts. Masculine reality creation was the phrase I made up. 

My last reply. I know when I am being baited. This exchange stopped being useful a long time ago. 

Humans usually crave freedom n having control of their lives.
Their happiness index will  significantly increase ( n they will have a greater sense of belonging n assimilation) if they do not need to constantly report to people in authority .. 

So in this aspect, an expat staying in Malaysia with the 10 year MM2H visa will of cos have a better feel of acceptance than the one in Thailand as they only need to visit the immigration office once in 10 years n are not subject to continual 90 day reporting that serves to bring them down to earth n remind them that they are just temporary guests in a place that is listed as a Kingdom on the immigration form , not a country .

There is no perfect place, only good n better ones.
Every place provides a unique user experience n its up to the individual to choose what best fits his unique circumstance  ..

Edited by relax33

38 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

More distortion of the facts. Masculine reality creation was the phrase I made up. 

My last reply. I know when I am being baited. This exchange stopped being useful a long time ago. 

It never was useful. Just a chance for you let others know how is life at the top of the food chain

Edited by jerrymahoney

48 minutes ago, bignbad said:

They wanted a bank statement, as well a bank book, and letter date on the day!

I know some have been asked for bank letter, proof of 65k transfered a month, additional to embassy letter proof of income.

For us who still have embassy letter, it is the only proof we need, but they seem to be able to choose the rules themselves, and do what they want. As far I know, the rules is not changed, the practice is changed some places