Do you ever feel really accepted as an expat in Thailand?

webfact

57 minutes ago, Taboo2 said:

Agree...I love how the Thais protect their country and culture.  You will never see what happened to Sweden (when they imported those folks from another part of the world), where there are parts of the country that is a "No-Go" zone for Swedes.  I have much respect for the Thai people, police and military for ensuring that no one will ever come to Thailand and then make life hard for Thais in their own country! 

I agree with this as well

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

But still, you are not a citizen of Thailand, you are just on visa permission still after 20 years. 

I keep a foot inside my home country, still paying taxes for social security there and can move home and benefit from all social services from day one. I also have EU rights, and can travel, work and live all over EU and also have local social security in other EU countries. I also have a right to have reunion with my gf/wife from Thailand, and they also will have full social security coverage from day one, and after 3 years become a citizen of the EU country we choose to live in. 

Im a guest in Thailand, and I will always be a guest, nothing more. 

I am not sure what your point is.

The article is about expats. Not citizens.

I do not want a Thai passport. I prefer my UK one.

I pay taxes in both countries and have pensions in the UK. I just do not want to live there.

In 20 years, I have never had an issue with immigration nor the labour department (work permit) nor Social Security. I have been involved in criminal and civil court cases as well as many discussion with the local police. Never a problem.

Sorry, nearly forgot. About 20 years ago,when I wanted to renew my visa for the first time, a non government employee (based in the immigration office) asked me for a bribe in order to get my extension. I walked out and asked my accountant to do it. Job done.

Yes, I am a guest here, just as I was in Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia etc.

It could all go wrong but I am over 70, single with no 'baggage'. So there is no real problem and there is always plan B or plan C.

2 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

No.  Thailand has done a good job on making it very difficult to become a citizen and then be able to buy land.  Foreigners who become Thai citizens are the type who should be respected in Thailand given the difficult process.

Average expat shouldn't expect respect or anything else just for existing.  If they aren't a sexpat, can speak/read/write Thai, have an educated family, provide for the community, and other things, they can then start to expect to feel welcomed.

Thailand protects their people and culture and aren't the type to import problems like your home country probably did.

The topic is about whether you feel "accepted" not "respected".

• Like 1

Not sure about millions (in Thailand), but it's a mutual respect thing with me.  Accept the good and the not so good, as they do with us.  We can both ignore the A-holes as not representative of either.

Love / hate relationship.  As long as there's more love going around, it's a beautiful thing.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, petermik said:

Same here...we are tolerated by many but accepted by few.....farang farang is all we are.

Yes. Some folk are deluding themselves. One can have a good life with nice people and the rest of it, but you do need to switch off somewhat. How can one feel truly accepted in Thailand when the cards are stacked against you in the form of indifferent immigration policies delivered with an air of apathy and disdain, know that laws can be changed on a whim, very hard to attain any sort of permanence—citizenship, land etc—and the kicker, being treated completely differently from the general populace. You need to switch off and know your place. With that, you might be happy and tolerated, but accepted?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, petermik said:

And how do you avoid looking like a westerner????

What i meant by blending in was "when in Rome do as the Romans do" as much as you can, of course you'll never look and behave as a Thai but you'll be tolerated with kindness and acceptance and after 30+ years here i think i should have an idea of what i'm talking about...