Do you ever feel really accepted as an expat in Thailand?

webfact

Yes I feel accepted in the area where I live in. But for the Government and Immigration it feels different...But I don't live with them,so I try not to focus on those and keep my life happily with the people around me...

We live normal as we did in my country.. I don't feel better than the locals 

Edited by ikke1959

I feel like I live here but I also don't feel fully accepted.

I think without speaking Thai I don't think you can really be taken seriously.

I have learned about 50 words in Thai and I have noticed a big difference in how I am treated just trying to speak and learn.

Most Thai's do not know the process for ex-pats to come or stay in Thailand so I think they just think we are here temporarily anyway.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Do I feel accepted?

From a bureaucratic point of view?  No, absolutely not. 

Within the village I live in?  Yes, I'm very much part of the furniture. 

same here lived in France 30 years ..never accepted by the french .. particular the government ..Le Republic..but my close to friends were always there for me ..same here friends .. family yes government never

Edited by Harveyboy
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

No.  Thailand has done a good job on making it very difficult to become a citizen and then be able to buy land.  Foreigners who become Thai citizens are the type who should be respected in Thailand given the difficult process.

Average expat shouldn't expect respect or anything else just for existing.  If they aren't a sexpat, can speak/read/write Thai, have an educated family, provide for the community, and other things, they can then start to expect to feel welcomed.

Thailand protects their people and culture and aren't the type to import problems like your home country probably did.

I beg to disagree with your second paragraph, but completely agree with the third one. 

I put a lot of effort into studying Thai language.  I can get by with my spoken Thai, I can read and write (type) at the same level.  I taught at a local university and don't go to bars.  It took me many years to realize that for many (not all, maybe not even majority) of Thais, the more you know Thai people, culture, language, the more of a problem you are for them.  They like stupid, naive, fresh off the plane, farangs who can get scammed easily. 

Even though they present a tiny percentage of the whole population, nasty people, full of hate for farangs (and probably all others) manage to spoil my day every 1-2 weeks.  I was an immigrant in the USA and in 20 years there, it had never happened to me.  Not that there are no nasty individuals there, but there is common decency and law that protects everyone.  That all is non-existent in Thailand.  Farangs rank lower than street dogs in Thai mind. 

Why would people think more highly of dirty farangs, when their elected leaders say to publicly?  They have been more than explicit in their desire to get rid of long term foreigners.  It doesn't matter to them if you speak Thai, if you're sexpat or a priest.  For them, you're ugly, dirty farang who doesn't bring enough money into Thailand per day. 

This connects to the third paragraph, which I completely agree with.  They are just doing what's in their best interest - maximizing dollars extracted from a farang per day they are tolerating him on Thai soil. 

When you accept what you already know, it will be easier...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bezdomny said:

Expats in Thailand are excepted like Bulgarians or Polish in UK or Mexicans in the USA.

I don't think so.  I'd much rather be Mexican in the USA than farang in Thailand, as far as being accepted and fairly treated go.

USA laws do not distinguish between citizens and foreigners.  No double pricing, everyone is treated equally everywhere.  What kind of jobs Mexicans do in the USA is another story, but nobody mistreats them for that. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, shackleton said:

Yes where I live the Thai people are very friendly always say hello with a smile on their face 

Love being here Enjoy the food culture weather its a great country to retire in ????

done my 90 day report a couple of days back very friendly Immigration staff  in and out 10 

23 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Bingo

Agreed

On 1/13/2022 at 9:59 AM, Hummin said:

But still, you are not a citizen of Thailand, you are just on visa permission still after 20 years. 

I keep a foot inside my home country, still paying taxes for social security there and can move home and benefit from all social services from day one. I also have EU rights, and can travel, work and live all over EU and also have local social security in other EU countries. I also have a right to have reunion with my gf/wife from Thailand, and they also will have full social security coverage from day one, and after 3 years become a citizen of the EU country we choose to live in. 

Im a guest in Thailand, and I will always be a guest, nothing more. 

If a guest is someone who is well behaved, is that not how you would wish to be seen in Thailand and even in whichever EU member state you choose to pay you social security. 

5 minutes ago, thaibook said:

If a guest is someone who is well behaved, is that not how you would wish to be seen in Thailand and even in whichever EU member state you choose to pay you social security. 

I'm not sure I understand why you ask me such obvious question. 

Yes, I behave and try to make an good example on behalf of all of us ????

I dress nice and are clean when leaving the farm to go shopping or holiday, I do not drink to much, exercise, shaved, do not delete around with other woman thatn my gf, and I believe my gf try her best to, to make a good example for her sisters? 

Sorry ????

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

Absolutely not accepted as a foreigner.

How odd is it that your typical uneducated average looking brown skinned Thai bargirl can move to any of the major countries in Europe, live 5 years and automatically become eligible to apply for either permanent non-revocable residency or for the citizenship in a First World European country straight away when I can spend 25 years in the Kingdom of Thailand (a Third World subpar country) spend/inject an average of 20 million baht into the economy and still have no clear path to either PR or the Thai citizenship while being mistreated by their immigration departments?

Seems fair to you?

There, I think I just answered the question. Anything else?

If you feel so aggrieved it is surprising you stay, unless there are actually overwhelming compensations you do not mention.  Also if everuthing were fair, everything would have to be ordered (contolled) and regulated which would hardly be fun.  Do you not like the unexpected?  Imagine the Tories winning the majority of seats in Scotland at the next election and Wee Krankie losing hers. 

Pretty much accepted...otherwise wouldn't have stayed over 20 years. In fact, as a single non sexpat, been adopted by two middle class Thai families...one in Pattaya and now another in Phuket and am "uncle" John to their kids ☺ 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

9 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I'm not sure I understand why you ask me such obvious question. 

Yes, I behave and try to make an good example on behalf of all of us ????

I dress nice and are clean when leaving the farm to go shopping or holiday, I do not drink to much, exercise, shaved, do not delete around with other woman thatn my gf, and I believe my gf try her best to, to make a good example for her sisters? 

Sorry ????

Excellent, I simply meant that a guest is not a local.  Each country/house has its own rules.  One may be invited in as a guest and leave when one wishes, for example if the rules prove oppressive; it is usually more difficult for locals.  

The reason WHY I dont really care if I am a bit of an outcast is precisely because I like to be able to slip in and out of polite society......If I want to get involved I speak some Thai and join in. If I dont want to get involved, I keep my mouth shut and just smile...I didnt come here to be Mr Popular. I am not on an eternal tourist party holiday. I live like I would at home. I am a bit of a loner and it suits me well here. I can keep a low profile and do pretty much what I want, including riding down the wrong side of the road on my motorbike, with a beerleo in my hand....Whats not to like? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/13/2022 at 10:00 AM, Guderian said:

Nope. They tolerate you because of your money. Don't kid yourself any other way, the old jokes about you being somewhere below the family dog in their affections are spot on.

You get out what you put in here.

People like this - it's them that are the problem. 

On Saturday - there's a party at my house, I expect 1 or 2 fellow expats - the rest will be Thai - they are all good friends and we will have a laugh. I expect them to be pouring out of my house onto the pavement around 3am. Usually there's a few casualties - and that's what the spare rooms and beds are for.

Thai people are just like everyone else on planet earth IF you get to know them. 

• Haha 1

On 1/13/2022 at 9:34 AM, TooMuchTime said:

Thailand is for Thais.

This is also the (correct) Eastern Europe Attitude. “Poland is for Poles” (and people like them, in small tourist numbers, or Ukrainian workers).Failed Undesirable ”Multi Culturalism” is Not a “Value” there.

Only Ridiculous Weak “Tolerant” Western Countries allowing in Anybody including Cultural Enemies.

As long as I am able to conduct my chosen life here I’m Good. Acceptance by Thais Irrelevant. Not Here for That.Not a “ Value” for me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

I am the guy in this picture, with my wife. Her lawyer is having a field day.

Quite Correct View. Couldn’t care less about assimilation or acceptance. Here for Safety Cheap Friendly Warm Tropical Lifestyle. Natives Irrelevant as Not Hostile.

• Like 2

Just now, TropicalGuy said:

Quite Correct View. Couldn’t care less about assimilation or acceptance. Here for Safety Cheap Friendly Warm Tropical Lifestyle. Natives Irrelevant as Not Hostile.

Also have Passport / Residency in UK Italy Spain which have Great  Culture which LOS Completely Lacks.

Sport Museums Theatre Politics Freedom.Can Live Here for More Important Reasons Lacking in West. Watching Those Elements from Afar.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2022 at 11:00 AM, Gecko123 said:

I feel more accepted in my village than anywhere I've ever lived. I would say humble living, having a vegetable garden, and not causing problems are keys to success.

Certainly doesn't mean I'm loved by every last person in town, but I'm friends with a number of the puu yais, the gam nam, the amphoe manager, the postman, the local cops, quite a few farmers and most of my immediate neighbors. I have found older Thai men in my age range to be the most genuinely friendly. (We talk about farming, the economy, exchange health tips, etc.)

I talk to the local women (mostly about gardening and food, sometimes village scuttlebutt), but I have to say that another key to getting along and being accepted in a village is to avoid getting overly friendly or flirtatious with anyone's wife or girlfriend. ????

lolol

There is a rule in my house. It is a rule I created and all visitors must accept.

"I do not dance with my wife's drunk friends"

• Like 1