#1 reason to own a Benz

pedro01

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

World wide governing bodies and governments themselves do not agree with your opinion on this. 

Here’s why: 

The majority of accidents occur at relatively low speed, protecting people at a relatively low speed is still possible whereas protecting people at a 90 kmh impact (to zero) is extremely difficult - cars would’ve to be a lot longer than they are now. 

Frontal collisions at 90kmh - 120kmh motorway speeds are extremely rare - roads on which we travel at these speeds are divided. 

‘Pile up’s (rear-ending a stationary vehicle at 120 kmh has roughy the the energy as a frontal collision of two cars travelling at 60 kmh. NCAP tests replicate this. 

There is also a human factor: Humans can tolerate a limited degree of G regardless of air-bags. Crumple zones in cars would have to be huge to limit this G at higher speeds - the cars would have to me much much longe to contain these crumple zones to below a humanly tolerable G at higher speeds. 

If a car is travelling at 120 kmh, thats 4x the energy the car would need to be significantly long enough to dissipate the energy to less than 50-60 g tolerable by the human body - i.e. 4x longer !

A a car as long as a buss with the same ‘passenger compartment inside’ would be impractical.

In any car - hitting something stationary at 120kmh - you are dead, even if the passenger compartment survives - the G is just too much. 

At 90 kmh, hitting a stationary vehicle or object in any car the passenger compartment may remain intact, but you won’t whether its a German car or a Japanese car. 

Thus: NCAP crash tests are carried out at 64 kmh...  it's not fashion, it's not marketing, its science. 

Personally, from a safety perspective - I’d chose a Volvo XC-90 over any car...  but my logic would be flawed, the car with the best grip which can brake the fastest is the safest as that has the best possibility of minimising G in a frontal indecent (most accidents involve a significant amount of braking before impact). 

Good stuff - but remember - German manufacturers exist in a country where some roads have an unlimited top speed. This obviously influences the safety aspect of their design.

Also their "job" seems to be pushing the technology edge - and part of that is of course safety tech.

And finally  - grip-wise - the road has a job too and it don't do that good a job here!

• Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 5:10 PM, In Full Agreement said:

Really...?

We all have individual tastes, wants and  opinions.     Yours may certainly differ from mine.  To each his own.

1702375395_lexusinterior.jpeg.85066cc7ab881d2880fdb31ac82cd6c4.jpeg

lexus.jpeg.7e5045b5d6ca1488837ec077fd106dde.jpeg

Nice interior - here's one of the C43 (mine is obviously not lhd) - which is same as mine except the yellow bit on the steering wheel is red on mine.

There's less plastic on it and I think that gives is a different vibe entirely. 

asset_MQ6_12.20190926065013.jpeg.4cf74b2b47a0d8f32622f0cebb237120.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, patman30 said:

All i know
is in Thailand
i have never seen a Benz with working indicators.????

Glad I'm not the only one that has noticed that every other manufacturers cars in Thailand always indicate.  Although  I may have missed a few when I was on my phone.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DaLa said:

Glad I'm not the only one that has noticed that every other manufacturers cars in Thailand always indicate.  Although  I may have missed a few when I was on my phone.

I was under the impression, that many either feel that indicators were an optional extra they did not order, or are afraid they run down the battery if used too often

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I was under the impression, that many either feel that indicators were an optional extra they did not order, or are afraid they run down the battery if used too often

lol

Or maybe it's because the indicators on a BMW are where the gearshift is on a Benz....

17 hours ago, pedro01 said:

lol

Or maybe it's because the indicators on a BMW are where the gearshift is on a Benz....

I have driven 'stick shift' for well over a million kilometres in Europe and now own automatics here.  Takes a bit of time to get used to the cruise control, gear shift, indicators and windscreen wipers all to be on the steering column.  My wife's favourite trick when indicating off a roundabout (in itself a mystery obstacle) is to flick the cruise control and grind to a near halt.

Only reasonable that with all 4 on the steering column that you should fail to include one of them.

On a serious note I've been driving here in Bangkok for 12 years. Indicators are irrelevant, I work on the basis that any vehicle will be making a manoeuvre at any time and anticipate accordingly.

54 minutes ago, DaLa said:

I have driven 'stick shift' for well over a million kilometres in Europe and now own automatics here.  Takes a bit of time to get used to the cruise control, gear shift, indicators and windscreen wipers all to be on the steering column.  My wife's favourite trick when indicating off a roundabout (in itself a mystery obstacle) is to flick the cruise control and grind to a near halt.

Only reasonable that with all 4 on the steering column that you should fail to include one of them.

On a serious note I've been driving here in Bangkok for 12 years. Indicators are irrelevant, I work on the basis that any vehicle will be making a manoeuvre at any time and anticipate accordingly.

Well I hope we ALL know exactly what it means when an indicator is flashing on a motocy in Thailand.  No, it doesn't indicate direction of travel.  Or anything other than - the key is in the ignition.  LOL

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 8:44 AM, DaLa said:

I consider myself a safe and considerate driver so I did indeed opt for the additional 'Indicator Kit'. I thought 45,000 baht for the re-assurance was worth it and I'm pretty confident I'll see that returned when I trade in the vehicle.  My only gripe is the 12,000 baht at service intervals for the blinker fluid.

lolol

and

lololol a bit more

On 1/21/2022 at 12:44 PM, DaLa said:

I consider myself a safe and considerate driver so I did indeed opt for the additional 'Indicator Kit'. I thought 45,000 baht for the re-assurance was worth it and I'm pretty confident I'll see that returned when I trade in the vehicle.  My only gripe is the 12,000 baht at service intervals for the blinker fluid.

The blinker fluid is very short supply since COVID, so guess the price has risen ????

On 1/20/2022 at 2:28 PM, pedro01 said:

lol

Yes … have been known to indicate with the wipers when first jump back into the Everest….,####

• Haha 2

On 1/21/2022 at 12:29 AM, alextrat1966 said:

Look under the hood and tell me what you see ????

I see a Garrett turbo which pushes out 163bhp stock, more than enough to see off all coal-rolling pickups, SUV derivatives, Camrys and most other vehicles on Thai roads, which is good enough for me. 

I now also have a 718 Cayman S in the garage, but the A-class is my daily driver. 

It's funny, but nobody tries to race the Porsche, but they will all have a go at the Benz, and nearly always end up embarrassed if I give it a squirt. 

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I now also have a 718 Cayman S in the garage, but the A-class is my daily driver. 

It's funny, but nobody tries to race the Porsche, but they will all have a go at the Benz, and nearly always end up embarrassed if I give it a squirt. 

Id happily have a go at that Porsche with my daily driver. Aka a proper 6.29L V8 Mercedes E63 ????

Back in May, I think I could hear the owner of a Porsche Panamera 4S (not the turbo s)  crying after a highway pull from 80 to 160… 

3 hours ago, alextrat1966 said:

Id happily have a go at that Porsche with my daily driver. Aka a proper 6.29L V8 Mercedes E63 ????

Back in May, I think I could hear the owner of a Porsche Panamera 4S (not the turbo s)  crying after a highway pull from 80 to 160… 

Being from the UK and lived in Thailand most of my life, I've never owned a V8, however I have driven a few in Australia including a FPV Super Pursuit ute that my mate owned. That was pretty quick.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 3:22 PM, gargamon said:

BMW = break my wallet.

I have a buddy with a Mercedes. $600 to get his oil changed.

Fools.

My Benz will be fed by 4.5 l Oil and same for Gear Box. 

I wonder what model your friend is driving.

600 bucks for Oil??? Or did He buy the whole car for 600?

Anyone willing to spend at least double here, for what it cost in the West, is doing it mostly for much needed prestige and for their self esteem. It makes no sense to pay the luxury taxes here. It is a form of self abuse and surrender to a government lacking in creativity and imagination. 

57 minutes ago, alextrat1966 said:

Do you think the same when you eat pizza? Cuz cheese here in Thailand is about double of what it costs in the West. 

No, right? Because the difference between $1.5 to $3 in the price of cheese for making a pizza is peanuts to you. So you couldn't care less about it. 

Well, what makes you think the difference between $50,000 and $100,000 that say a Mercedes C43 AMG could cost here vs the USA isn't peanuts to a lot of people? 

A good pizza here cost $10. In LA it is $30 and up. Please use a better analogy, and some of us might be able to understand the point you are making.

And I think you missed my point about paying this toxic government 100% or more in luxury tax. 

13 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And I think you missed my point about paying this toxic government 100% or more in luxury tax. 

All governments are toxic, and frankly,  not driving the car you want to drive if you can afford it, just because of not “paying tax to a toxic government” is pretty foolish.

Lets say you had no job and this government offered you one. Would you take it or starve to death because the “government is toxic”? 

Let me guess, you are a Democrat. I am not even American and I can’t stand those self entitled American republicans. But you democrats can also be spotted from miles away…

Edited by alextrat1966

7 hours ago, alextrat1966 said:

Your car is nuts. 

In a good way.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Anyone willing to spend at least double here, for what it cost in the West, is doing it mostly for much needed prestige and for their self esteem. It makes no sense to pay the luxury taxes here. It is a form of self abuse and surrender to a government lacking in creativity and imagination. 

At your current level of wealth/income, I would agree.

But take a test drive when you are wealthier, you might find that they are fine cars which are fun to drive.

When you can buy a Camry every week, why not save up 4 weeks and buy a 5 Series?

8 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

My Benz will be fed by 4.5 l Oil and same for Gear Box. 

I wonder what model your friend is driving.

600 bucks for Oil??? Or did He buy the whole car for 600?

In North America the dealers make most of their money doing service. They concoct a scheduled service schedule that requires multiple visits a year to the dealer for these services. So take your Merc in for an oil change and they've always got a scheduled service they add on. Yes it cost my buddy $600 to get his oil changed, the dealer said they did other work but who knows.

There was an investigative report a few years ago where they installed hidden cameras throughout the car then took it for service. Very little of what the customer was charged for was actually done.

On the other hand, the manufacturers actually have a recommended service schedule, things like oil changes, timing belt changes, tires, greasing, etc. This list is significantly different than the dealer's schedule. I bought a Toyota pickup in 1989. It never went back to the dealer once for scheduled service. I kept a spreadsheet of the manufacturer's recommended services and followed it reasonably closely, doing most of the stuff myself and the complicated stuff would go to a shop. I sold it a couple of years ago (31 years old) with over 300,000 km, and it's still going strong.

All dealers do this, not just Mercedes. But at $600, a routine Mercedes service is likely one of the most expensive.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gargamon said:

In North America the dealers make most of their money doing service. They concoct a scheduled service schedule that requires multiple visits a year to the dealer for these services. So take your Merc in for an oil change and they've always got a scheduled service they add on. Yes it cost my buddy $600 to get his oil changed, the dealer said they did other work but who knows.

There was an investigative report a few years ago where they installed hidden cameras throughout the car then took it for service. Very little of what the customer was charged for was actually done.

On the other hand, the manufacturers actually have a recommended service schedule, things like oil changes, timing belt changes, tires, greasing, etc. This list is significantly different than the dealer's schedule. I bought a Toyota pickup in 1989. It never went back to the dealer once for scheduled service. I kept a spreadsheet of the manufacturer's recommended services and followed it reasonably closely, doing most of the stuff myself and the complicated stuff would go to a shop. I sold it a couple of years ago (31 years old) with over 300,000 km, and it's still going strong.

All dealers do this, not just Mercedes. But at $600, a routine Mercedes service is likely one of the most expensive.  

My 2021 X5 is covered free for the first 3 years.  After that I have a certified non-dealer mechanic for all work I want done.

What does <deleted> me off is the stupid system tells you it needs service at specific time intervals as well as mileage intervals.  Well hell, I don't drive much and my car sits in an enclosed garage most of the time.