Brake failure! Pile up at Bangkok pedestrian crossing as cement mixer plows into vehicles

webfact

4pm1.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

A driver of a cement mixer that plowed into cars, a pick up and motorcycles and injured an old lady crossing the road said that his brakes failed.

Sawai, 45, saw the light at amber on the crossing and said he applied his brakes. Getting no response he veered to the side slamming into three cars, a pick-up and four motorcycles. 

Thanorm, 64, was not seriously injured and was taken to Paolo Rangsit hospital after the incident at Soi 30 on Song Prapha yesterday.

Don Muang police captain Chayasit Phama is leading the investigation into what happened, reported Siam Rath

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-18

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Thai drivers regularly use only brakes to slow and stop. I hear the clutch disengage as they free wheel down hills and up to traffic lights. Frequent use will over heat the brakes and quickly lead to failure due to heat, especially trucks and large buses. I have witnessed this many times when passing them on my motorcycle when there is stop/start heavy traffic. 

Also the brakes won't work while the driver is looking at his phone and not where he is going.

If the brakes failed and it can be proven hold the company owning the cement mixer responsible and the driver for not checking maintaining its vehicle. This should be no excuse but a reason to punish someone as its clearly a sign of lack of maintenance.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2022 at 10:13 AM, ratcatcher said:

Give the guy a break.  He was blissfully unaware that he could have slowed or stopped the truck by use of clutch and gears.

The truck looks quite new, as Mutt said, poor driver or poor maintenance.

No, give him a  BRAKE!

On 1/18/2022 at 11:02 AM, JoePai said:

Are brakes an optional extra in Thailand ?

No, but a working brain cell IS an optional extra.

The instruction book on how to make the brain cell work and operate correctly, is written in one of the obscure languages from Papua New Guinea.

On 1/19/2022 at 4:16 AM, bangkok19 said:

I was sitting one afternoon at a bar in Soi 22 near the cnr of Sukhumvit Rd when I heard (and saw) a concrete mixer truck hurtling past me and turning right onto Sukhumvit Rd.  The wheels on the RHS of the truck had lifted off the ground.......

I don't know how he didn't flip onto the footpath on the other side.

He'd gone through a red light...   Brake failure always comes into the equation when an 18 ton missile is trying to get through the traffic lights as they turn red.

By "brake failure" I mean...  failure to apply the brakes! 

On that same corner when the first bar Traveller's Corner was built there back in 2004, the customers who included my good self, witnessed a coach load of Korean tourists get stuck trying to turn down the soi, and the driver got himself tooled up with an iron bar and proceeded to smash up a taxi that was in the coach's way. The faces of the tourists on the bus was priceless.

Fun times.

On 1/19/2022 at 12:54 PM, robblok said:

If the brakes failed and it can be proven hold the company owning the cement mixer responsible and the driver for not checking maintaining its vehicle. This should be no excuse but a reason to punish someone as its clearly a sign of lack of maintenance.

In most cases ‘brake failure’ is just the fashionable ‘go to’ excuse... all drivers have heard everyone else blame it, so they do....    In most cases ‘brake failure’ means:

- Driver wasn’t paying attention.

- Driver was going too fast.

When there actually is a genuine case of brake failure - then its either lack of maintenance, in which case the owner should be charged, but lets face it, that means an investigation, that means effort. 

Or, the driver has been ‘riding the brakes’ down a hill and they’ve overheated and failed, again, that means an investigation, that means effort. 

Brake failure: the biggest BS excuse on Thai roads today, but, it offers a minute element of plausibility such that those who may investigate choose laziness instead. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

On 1/21/2022 at 10:36 PM, richard_smith237 said:

When there actually is a genuine case of brake failure - then its either lack of maintenance, in which case the owner should be charged, but lets face it, that means an investigation, that means effort. 

Or, the driver has been ‘riding the brakes’ down a hill and they’ve overheated and failed, again, that means an investigation, that means effort. 

Not many hills in Bangkok.