One million signatures claimed in support of Amnesty International ousting

snoop1130

7 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

How can we get rid of this man???? He is doing more damage to the country than anything else. He is against everything and want to keep the 19th century rules

'We'  I'm confused, maybe I missed something - what do 'We' have to do with it, unless you are a Thai National 'We' have nothing to say - their country, their rules.    Peace

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sscc said:

International tourists pick travel location mostly based on fun, cost, value, exoticness, convenience and safety.   Having NGO or not in a particular countries may be priority No. 9 or even No. 99 in the criteria. 

This idea is an example of selling for fear.  

Likely true. And the reality is that Thailand has killed the tourism industry  already, and the so called leadership's lack of vision, combined with an astonishing degree of arrogance, makes them rather blind to how the world perceives them, why that is even important, and their follies and mistakes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

As ever, you (amongst many) miss or ignore the absolutely fundamental point. Thaksin was, time after time, the choice of the Thai electorate. In all probability he still would be.

To return to the proposals we are discussing; it has taken two good old fashioned military coups, plus any amount of judicial and electoral (commission) manipulation for the present regime to be able to (unconvincingly) claim they are the choice of the people. Few believe it internally or internationally. The view of their own population doesn't worry them (yet) - they think that, like their "besties"up the road in Myanmar they can control that. I don't think so, the dynamics in Thailand are different, the military is different (rank and file conscripts rather than a homogeneous ruling tribe) and the society is more open. International opinion, they think, will "drop off the radar" if they hamstring the NGOs like Amnesty. Again, unlike Myanmar which has been effectively closed as a society for over a generation, Thailand is more open and has more contacts with the outside world. In particular "those that matter" have a lot of wealth, property and business interests in that outside world. 

There was protest leading to riot in Hong Kong 2019,  then there was protest and coup attempt in Kazakhstan 2022.   So NGO is stereotyped in very different way nowadays.  

Add on the event of USA did the "Mother of all Retreats" -- quote from the words of a former USA Vice President --  in Afghanistan 2021.  ( Kazakhstan and  Afghanistan are both Central Asia countries. )

All government as well as general public in South East Asia are of course more cautious about NGO presence in their countries.    

Well are not you up to speed to understand the mood change of the Thai locals ?

And still glorify NGO blah blah blah ?   

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Mind you, this same bunch who seem to want to chuck out Amnesty International are also hell bent on stamping out fun, forcing up the cost, reducing the value, are content to homogenise the exoticness and don't seem to give two hoots about safety, so...

Whatever bad-mouthing you put up.   

Tourist arrival data in past few years  as follows. 

24 M /2014 ;   29 M /2015 ;    32 M/2016 ;   35 M/2017 ;   38 M /2018  ;   39 M / 2019  then of course dropped very very sharply in 2020.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, sscc said:

There was protest leading to riot in Hong Kong 2019,  then there was protest and coup attempt in Kazakhstan 2022.   So NGO is stereotyped in very different way nowadays.  

Add on the event of USA did the "Mother of all Retreats" -- quote from the words of a former USA Vice President --  in Afghanistan 2021.  ( Kazakhstan and  Afghanistan are both Central Asia countries. )

All government as well as general public in South East Asia are of course more cautious about NGO presence in their countries.    

Well are not you up to speed to understand the mood change of the Thai locals ?

And still glorify NGO blah blah blah ?   

I am no fan if NGOs. And Amnesty made a big mistake supporting militant Islam BUT bit Amnesty and other International worthy groups are sadly needed still and are a thorn in the side of authoritarian bully boys. With the help of NGOs a Syrian torture officer was brought to justice as was an ISIS torturer of children. Some NGOs do good work. But some are left wing political activists on good salaries having an adventure.

23 minutes ago, sscc said:

Whatever bad-mouthing you put up.   

Tourist arrival data in past few years  as follows. 

24 M /2014 ;   29 M /2015 ;    32 M/2016 ;   35 M/2017 ;   38 M /2018  ;   39 M / 2019  then of course dropped very very sharply in 2020.   

So, didn't the tourist arrival drop very sharply? So, who else to blame? Or should we blame the Covid only? (That would be too easy, won't be?) (and no fun ...) (and no clicks...)

Edited by Saanim
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sscc said:

Tourist arrival data

" the reality is that Thailand has killed the tourism industry  already ,"

Your comment is based on ??? 

Or  spreading rumours ? 

Quantity over quality only works if you are selling one dollar items, at a swap meet. Rumours are the last of Thailand's worries. Nobody needs to damage their reputation. They have done it entirely on their own. These saboteurs are their own worst enemies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, baboon said:

But it isn't their country and their rules, is it?

Thailand is not a country with an army, it is an army with a country. 

I don't wish for a tit for tat with anyone, but I think we can all trace our countries roots back to King's, Dictators, Czars, Presidents, Prime Ministers and yes, Military Dictators, my point was 'we' can't do anything about it, as we can't vote in this 'quasi democracy/dictatorship'. We all have our reasons for calling Thailand home, it has been mine on and off since 1972.  and if you have been associated with Thailand as long as I have, you have seen it all.     Peace

On 1/18/2022 at 6:35 PM, tomacht8 said:

If the expel become a reality, then there will be negative consequences for Thailand in terms of international investment decisions.

I doubt that, it may an incentive to some big investors, they didn't grow rich drinking the milk of human kindness.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 10:08 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Yet you live in Australia..good luck..

I have a brother living in London, And I live in Australia ( only because I have family matters here ) but the land dower under is stuffed . I would gladly get out. Be the first Female Robin Hood take from the rich and give to the poor.  

9 hours ago, Saanim said:

So, didn't the tourist arrival drop very sharply? So, who else to blame? Or should we blame the Covid only? (That would be too easy, won't be?) (and no fun ...) (and no clicks...)

Not knowing what happened to tourism everywhere in the world in 2020 ?

Do You need explanation ?  Really ? 

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

All the reasons they want Amnesty gone are in that article right there. Damning. 

Quite right: kill the messenger, and just keep doing what you’re doing without all those pesky comments and damning articles and reports.

• Like 2

On 1/19/2022 at 1:15 PM, baboon said:

I'll just go ahead and assume any laws they may break are laws enacted to repress. There's nothing morally wrong in breaking them in which case.

There is always something morally wrong in breaking a law, with the purpose to stop other law breakers. That, as it makes the organization trying to stop the criminal at the same level as another criminal.

• Confused 2