Sixty Day Covid 19 Extensions Order Extended To March 26

8 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

Let us know how your extension goes. I am curious to know if on Ko Tao they are demanding things like departure flight bookings, etc. Or is it an easy process?

ok but now i have a week to extend.  not only just today.  what irks me is to get the 60 days i have to go on the final day of my current visa,,,,,,i wish they would give the 60 days now but they dont.......im only going after the covid extension once then i go to home country so i dont feel im abusing the system............but i have been on some visa sites on fb and they lambast me for not getting a "proper visa"  .  a covid extension is a proper visa.  i think they are mad at me cause they are on long stay visas and they cant get the covid extension

4 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

ok but now i have a week to extend.  not only just today.  what irks me is to get the 60 days i have to go on the final day of my current visa,,,,,,i wish they would give the 60 days now but they dont.......im only going after the covid extension once then i go to home country so i dont feel im abusing the system............but i have been on some visa sites on fb and they lambast me for not getting a "proper visa"  .  a covid extension is a proper visa.  i think they are mad at me cause they are on long stay visas and they cant get the covid extension

Better to go sooner than later IMO. 

I've noticed that people are more likely to bump into more problems when they apply for the extension closer to the deadline.   

IOs know that those people will consider using visa agency when they bump into trouble at the immigration when they have little visa time left. 

If I were you I wouldn't wait until the last day.

Better and cheaper to do it now and maybe get another extension later.

Just my opinion.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, lolalol said:

Better to go sooner than later IMO. 

I've noticed that people are more likely to bump into more problems when they apply for the extension closer to the deadline.   

IOs know that those people will consider using visa agency when they bump into trouble at the immigration when they have little visa time left. 

If I were you I wouldn't wait until the last day.

Better and cheaper to do it now and maybe get another extension later.

Just my opinion.

im on small island with immigration that aint too busy.........i went yesterday just to check and they said i could come today to extend (before new news came out) and they said no problem.  i hear what u are saying though. this has been huge stress on my for 1900 baht.  im mad at myself cause i should have just done it in other citys long ago where they gave out the 60 days from time of expiration.............so i hear what you are saying.  i willl go again to immigration today and ask if i come on last day if i will have any issues...........thanks

23 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

ok but now i have a week to extend.  not only just today.  what irks me is to get the 60 days i have to go on the final day of my current visa,,,,,,i

No offense but you have caused yourself lot of stress. In particular leading up to the last day. Jan 25.

Yes the covid extensions have been continued but as usual announcement left till last minute.

You could have used an agent to have your covid extension commence from end of current permit (it's not a visa) and also no under consideration period.

Approx cost 5k.

Easy peasey. 

3 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

im on small island with immigration that aint too busy.........i went yesterday just to check and they said i could come today to extend (before new news came out) and they said no problem.  i hear what u are saying though. this has been huge stress on my for 1900 baht.  im mad at myself cause i should have just done it in other citys long ago where they gave out the 60 days from time of expiration.............so i hear what you are saying.  i willl go again to immigration today and ask if i come on last day if i will have any issues...........thanks

Up to you.  But I've noticed that IOs shift their attitude depending on a given circumstance. 

Why don't you just straight up ask an IO, if they could give you 60 days from the time of expiration?

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Perhaps I'm seeing this differently.

In my mind the covid extensions are due to the covid pandemic situation.

The thing is land borders are closed.

We all know that before covid spoilt the party there were many options to have medium to longer term stay in Thailand.

That involved visas, visa exempt entries, border bounce, border runs for visa, flight to places such as Vietnam for either visa exempt or with visa reentry Thailand.

None of that's possible.

Covid extensions should continue till some normality returns to land borders.

The "go back to your own country" brigade are just the mindless types we all have to put up with.

I'm on retirement extensions.

No personal issues for he staying here, however have gone into bat over long period for those obtaining covid extensions.

Now with immigration officers (some) playing games, I hope they stop their nonsense.

Some places demanding outbound flight.

Some (HH) demanding embassy letter, etc.

Damn disgrace. 

Thank u for all your help and information you have given to people on covid extensions, much appreciated. With land borders closed it can cause people some serious stress. Big respect for u. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Perhaps I'm seeing this differently.

In my mind the covid extensions are due to the covid pandemic situation.

The thing is land borders are closed.

We all know that before covid spoilt the party there were many options to have medium to longer term stay in Thailand.

That involved visas, visa exempt entries, border bounce, border runs for visa, flight to places such as Vietnam for either visa exempt or with visa reentry Thailand.

None of that's possible.

Covid extensions should continue till some normality returns to land borders.

The "go back to your own country" brigade are just the mindless types we all have to put up with.

I'm on retirement extensions.

No personal issues for me staying here, however have gone into bat over long period for those obtaining covid extensions.

Now with immigration officers (some) playing games, I hope they stop their nonsense.

Some places demanding outbound flight.

Some (HH) demanding embassy letter, etc.

Damn disgrace. 

Like you I really don't understand the attitude of 'why should you get this visa when I can't'.

Just now, overherebc said:

Like you I really don't understand the attitude of 'why should you get this visa when I can't'.

Me either. 

I don't often mention the economic benefits to Thailand for having the covid extensions as I feel the border issue and of course pandemic situation is far more the issue.

However for those living here we have seen first hand the devastation to tourist industry.

Any folk that can remain here and spend dosh is a positive. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, lolalol said:

Up to you.  But I've noticed that IOs shift their attitude depending on a given circumstance. 

Why don't you just straight up ask an IO, if they could give you 60 days from the time of expiration?

i went today and they said the covid extension has not been extended that it expires today

• Confused 1

From what I've read, the go back to your own country brigade, refer to those who arrived as tourists, can go back to their country at any time, yet continue to stay by manipulating the system, instead of getting the correct long term visa.
For those genuinely stuck, I think most on this forum, would agree its a good thing for those entitled.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, yogi yogi said:

i went today and they said the covid extension has not been extended that it expires today

Maybe the order has not been delivered to their department or something? 

It probably has something to do with bureaucracy

16 minutes ago, lolalol said:

Maybe the order has not been delivered to their department or something? 

It probably has something to do with bureaucracy

***  URGENT  ***

Even if you think you have time to apply, don't wait. APPLY FOR 60-DAY Covid Ext. TODAY.  A reliable forum on FB posted a finer translation of the document. It is NOT an extension of the covid program.  It is a NEW program which defines NEW ways of handling those who are extending under Immigration order Article 5. Apparently, anyone else who will apply for an "UNABLE TO TRAVEL" extension after 25-Jan will ONLY BE GIVEN 10 DAYS PER APPLICATION.  <== Heads-up @yogi yogi

Text from the FB post follows....

"This announcement is a complete new way of letting people stay who are unable to travel due to Covid.
It is not an extension of the ending maximum 60 day program.
So far we understand:
People entered Thailand with a visa on arrival can NOT apply for an Extension of Stay based on unable to travel due to covid.
People entered Thailand with a Non Immigrant Visa can NOT apply for an Extension of Stay based on unable to travel due to covid and must apply according the normal requirements for their stay and reason why the visa is issued.
People entered Thailand on a Tourist Visa must apply first for the normal 30 day Extension of Stay based on Tourism, after that they can apply for an Extension of Stay for no more than 10 days each time.
There is an extra warning:
2. Increasing strictness in considering permission to stay in the Kingdom to prevent aliens from using them as an opportunity to circumvent the reasons for applying to stay in the Kingdom without meeting the objectives of the immigration law. In this regard, the relevant laws, regulations, orders and guidelines shall be complied with. The agency inspects the notification of residence under section 38 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 and checks to prevent illegal work without permission"

Hope @ubonjoe can offer any additional inputs from his own reliable translators.

Edited by audaciousnomad
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, JWNZ said:

From what I've read, the go back to your own country brigade, refer to those who arrived as tourists, can go back to their country at any time, yet continue to stay by manipulating the system, instead of getting the correct long term visa.
For those genuinely stuck, I think most on this forum, would agree its a good thing for those entitled.

Clearly you know very little of visa options for those under 50 and not married to a Thai national.

BTW long term visa was never a requirement to stay many months in S.E.A when borders were open..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yogi yogi said:

but i have been on some visa sites on fb and they lambast me for not getting a "proper visa"  .  a covid extension is a proper visa.  i think they are mad at me cause they are on long stay visas and they cant get the covid extension

I think that you have to realise that for every Immigration Officer who (allegedly) wishes to make your visa process more difficult there are at least two foreigners here who deeply resent anyone else being able to stay here!????

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

***  URGENT  ***

Even if you think you have time to apply, don't wait. APPLY FOR 60-DAY Covid Ext. TODAY.  A reliable forum on FB posted a finer translation of the document. It is NOT an extension of the covid program.  It is a NEW program which defines NEW ways of handling those who are extending under Immigration order Article 5. Apparently, anyone else who will apply for an "UNABLE TO TRAVEL" extension after 25-Jan will ONLY BE GIVEN 10 DAYS PER APPLICATION.  <== Heads-up @yogi yogi

Text from the FB post follows....

"This announcement is a complete new way of letting people stay who are unable to travel due to Covid.
It is not an extension of the ending maximum 60 day program.
So far we understand:
People entered Thailand with a visa on arrival can NOT apply for an Extension of Stay based on unable to travel due to covid.
People entered Thailand with a Non Immigrant Visa can NOT apply for an Extension of Stay based on unable to travel due to covid and must apply according the normal requirements for their stay and reason why the visa is issued.
People entered Thailand on a Tourist Visa must apply first for the normal 30 day Extension of Stay based on Tourism, after that they can apply for an Extension of Stay for no more than 10 days each time.
There is an extra warning:
2. Increasing strictness in considering permission to stay in the Kingdom to prevent aliens from using them as an opportunity to circumvent the reasons for applying to stay in the Kingdom without meeting the objectives of the immigration law. In this regard, the relevant laws, regulations, orders and guidelines shall be complied with. The agency inspects the notification of residence under section 38 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 and checks to prevent illegal work without permission"

This is a teamkill.

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:
13 hours ago, Caldera said:

I'd say it depends. Someone who loses their job on short notice might need some extra time to secure a new one, as they can't just hop across the border and enter visa exempt right now. What you probably have in mind are those on Non-O visas who use Covid extensions instead of retirement or marriage.

That's exactly correct. 

I was thinking of non O retirement and marriage..

aka the more legitimate long-stayers?

I don't know of any country where being 'unemployed' is a considered legitimate non-immigrant status, temporary or otherwise.

28 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Hope @ubonjoe can offer any additional inputs from his own reliable translators.

I think what you found on Facebook is wrong.

I have seen nothing stating the extensions will be only for be 10 days.

Perhaps they will be doing them for those that no longer qualify for the 60 day exension.

At this time it appears the extension is only for those entered the country visa exempt or on a tourist visa.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Increasing availability of flights and destinations.

Land borders are open

Which land borders are open.

Flights available? Yippi I might nip over to Saigon this weekend for some Saigon Green 15k dong in Bui Vien street and nip back. 

12 hours ago, zugzug123 said:

The change in rules for non-imm covid extensions was just announced today... so whatever was, was in the past. I am still waiting on clarification how we non-imm holders who are on covid extensions will fare going forward.

I normally make the non o visa because of being married, now I'm on covoid extensions, I assume we will be ok to continue on covoid extension untill the borders open and we can obtain another non o visa , always baffles me why we have to border hop every 90 days though instead of going to Thai immigration and paying them every 90 days, Thailand must lose out on lots of extra income not doing that

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sateuk said:

I normally make the non o visa because of being married, now I'm on covoid extensions, I assume we will be ok to continue on covoid extension untill the borders open and we can obtain another non o visa , always baffles me why we have to border hop every 90 days though instead of going to Thai immigration and paying them every 90 days, Thailand must lose out on lots of extra income not doing that

You can obtain extension based on marriage. 

Can use money in bank method.

So you have easy option. 

2 minutes ago, sateuk said:

I recommend you to recheck the new 'covid extension' requirements. 

I think I read that it will only be given to those who originally entered the country via 'visa exemption' and 'tourist visa'....

In the other facebook forum, I read that those who currently have 'covid extension' but entered the country via other visas will not be given 60 day extension but instead 10 day extension. 

I'm not sure of the situation, this is what I've gathered so far...

5 minutes ago, sateuk said:

This is not what I'm seeing on facebook though ????

The doomsayers say it's over for non-imm holders.. hope we will get something more concrete soon. 

• Haha 1