Omicron and Natural Immunity

webfact

On 1/25/2022 at 8:15 PM, Jeffr2 said:

Calm down. It was super easy. They just questioned where we got our vaccines. 30 seconds later, we were waiting for the jabs. Hardly squeaking by.

Thai Japanese youth center is also offering Pfizer boosters. But you need to wait in line.

I've seen thousands of people getting jabs in the past few weeks. Getting the Pfizer booster in Pattaya was hard. Bangkok was a breeze. Moderna is also easy. Just pay 1600 Baht. Easy peasy.

It may have been "super easy" for you, but that's anecdotal at best since you did not receive your initial shots in BKK.  Yes boosters are available here for some, but NOT folks who got 2X PFE here are not eligible for boosters at this time as has been relayed by several in this forum.  I've made at least 20 inquiries and all say the same thing.  You can ignore specifics and repeat "super easy" over and over again but it doesn't make it true.

On 1/26/2022 at 2:50 PM, Someone Else said:

It may have been "super easy" for you, but that's anecdotal at best since you did not receive your initial shots in BKK.  Yes boosters are available here for some, but NOT folks who got 2X PFE here are not eligible for boosters at this time as has been relayed by several in this forum.  I've made at least 20 inquiries and all say the same thing.  You can ignore specifics and repeat "super easy" over and over again but it doesn't make it true.

I see you are still stuck on the personal attacks, grow up.  This information is available all over the internet (including directly from PFE).  Feel free to research and get back to me once you learn to communicate like and adult and have some actual point to make.

Boosters ARE available for those who've had Pfizer more than 6 months ago. No matter where you got your first jabs. Not at every vaccination center, but at some for sure.

Use QueQ and search for THG. Super easy.

1 hour ago, Someone Else said:

It may have been "super easy" for you, but that's anecdotal at best since you did not receive your initial shots in BKK.  Yes boosters are available here for some, but NOT folks who got 2X PFE here are not eligible for boosters at this time as has been relayed by several in this forum.  I've made at least 20 inquiries and all say the same thing.  You can ignore specifics and repeat "super easy" over and over again but it doesn't make it true

Not a problem. I have a Moderna I can let you have at discount! You can take it now. The hospital *suggests* 4 months from Pfizer, 3 from AZ, but I believe they let you take it whenever you want. Mine was < 3 months.

Problem solved. Hospital is in Bangkok.

On 1/26/2022 at 3:32 PM, Jeffr2 said:

Boosters ARE available for those who've had Pfizer more than 6 months ago. No matter where you got your first jabs. Not at every vaccination center, but at some for sure.

Use QueQ and search for THG. Super easy.

People didn't start getting PFE here until late August this year, thus NO ONE who received it in Thailand is eligible.  

Just now, rabas said:

Not a problem. I have a Moderna I can let you have at discount! You can take it now. The hospital *suggests* 4 months from Pfizer, 3 from AZ, but I believe they let you take it whenever you want. Mine was < 3 months.

Problem solved. Hospital is in Bangkok.

Which hospital?  I've contacted several who all say I must wait 6 months and/or are sold out.

3 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

The latest data from the SIREN study in the UK estimates 10% of new COVID infections are reinfections of people who previously had COVID (presumably a different strain). Since they are healthcare workers, the number of unvaccinated participants is pretty low, but even taking that into account, the reinfection rate is higher than for people who previously had it and were vaccinated. 

The reinfection data starts at page 28.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1048395/technical-briefing-34-14-january-2022.pdf

According to the BBC,
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-60132096

REACT has a figure of 2/3 reinfection, but that's by self-report. (The SIREN criteria are a lot stricter.) That seems to have come from a press release because it's not out in their official publications yet.

If natural immunity from previous strains confers minimal immunity to Omicron. There's little reason to believe that an Omicron infection will offer much immunity against future strains.

Thanks.  Interesting information.   

I don't think there is anyway of determining what is 'best', whether it is with vaccines or natural immunity.  This is one of the situations where we simply don't know until after the event.   

20 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

At some point, the covid vaccine will be bundled with the flu jab and it will be an annual thing.  Like it been for decades.  And we'll still probably have people complaining about it! LOL

If an annual flu/covid shot is mandatory to keep my job or go to a restaurant, then I’ll be complaining about it.
I’ve never had a flu shot. Never felt like I needed one, and was never shamed for not getting one. 
My grandma never demanded that I get one to “protect her” either. 

I “did my part”, and got my two jabs for the greater good, even though I didn’t believe that I was at any great risk from covid. Enough is enough. 

Think of all the social issues we could solve if we forced every teenage girl in the world to get on birth control pills as soon as they hit puberty. It’s been used for decades, and is proven to be safe, so why not?

Edited by Ryan754326
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2022 at 3:29 AM, Ryan754326 said:

If an annual flu/covid shot is mandatory to keep my job or go to a restaurant, then I’ll be complaining about it.
I’ve never had a flu shot. Never felt like I needed one, and was never shamed for not getting one. 

I “did my part”, and got my two jabs for the greater good, even though I didn’t believe that I was at any great risk from covid. Enough is enough. 

Think of all the social issues we could solve if we forced every teenage girl in the world to get on birth control pills as soon as they hit puberty. It’s been used for decades, and is proven to be safe, so why not?

Sad when some complain about a solution to a global pandemic.  And a vaccine to protect not only themselves, but others around them.

But congrats for getting 2 jabs. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Covid Vaccines cut the risk of MIS-C (multisystem inflammatory syndrome) by >91% (which affects 1 in 3,000 children after a Covid infection)

"Two doses of the Pfizer vaccine were 91 percent effective in preventing MIS-C and 100 percent effective in preventing cases that required life support." Kids will continue to suffer and die from COVID unless we prioritize vaccinations.

A trio of scientific papers on the effects of COVID-19 in children emphasizes its risks and the strong benefits of vaccination. Learn how unvaccinated kids are bearing the brunt of COVID-19

Unvaccinated kids bear brunt of COVID-19, studies show

Published on Monday, January 24, 2022

The articles come from Overcoming COVID-19, a national study on COVID-19 in children and adolescents. Children’s of Mississippi at the University of Mississippi Medical Center is one of 70 pediatric hospitals working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to conduct the wide-ranging research.

https://www.umc.edu/news/News_Articles/2022/01/Pediatric-COVID-Research.html

Little update. I had symptoms like fewer going up & down, sore throat and just felt overall like having a flu. No runny nose or headache. Fever started Tuesday evening and lasted until Thursday. I went to Bangkok hospital on Friday to do a test as all the saliva test kits showed negative. I got a call just now that the test was positive and I need to go to hospital for treatment and it will cost 10000 bath per day. They asked if I had an insurance and I said I am not coming as I don't have any symptoms anymore. So they asked if I want to do home isolation and I answered yes. They asked also if I use Line to which I answered no. I told they can contact me on WhatsApp or email or call. They said they send me instructions now but not sure if by email or they call me after. 

I also asked if it was Delta or Omicron but they said they can not tell "only government can".

I'm glad that I had it now and I hope all go through it asap to get "herd immunity" but I guess it will not happen as China (incl Hong Kong and Macau) is again screwing everything up with their zero covid policy... However based on the news Omicron is already there so..

If anyone interested I had 2 x Pfizer and last shot 1 x Moderna (11th of Jan).

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, FinChin67 said:

Little update. I had symptoms like fewer going up & down, sore throat and just felt overall like having a flu. No runny nose or headache. Fever started Tuesday evening and lasted until Thursday. I went to Bangkok hospital on Friday to do a test as all the saliva test kits showed negative. I got a call just now that the test was positive and I need to go to hospital for treatment and it will cost 10000 bath per day. They asked if I had an insurance and I said I am not coming as I don't have any symptoms anymore. So they asked if I want to do home isolation and I answered yes. They asked also if I use Line to which I answered no. I told they can contact me on WhatsApp or email or call. They said they send me instructions now but not sure if by email or they call me after. 

I also asked if it was Delta or Omicron but they said they can not tell "only government can".

I'm glad that I had it now and I hope all go through it asap to get "herd immunity" but I guess it will not happen as China (incl Hong Kong and Macau) is again screwing everything up with their zero covid policy... However based on the news Omicron is already there so..

Sounds like lucky you did.......????...

• Like 2

On 1/27/2022 at 3:29 AM, Ryan754326 said:

COVID is not the flu.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2022 at 5:10 PM, Jeffr2 said:

The first donation of Pfizer jabs arrived in July.

Yes and if you were here you would know that the PFE rollout for expats was very slow did not even begin until later in August, which was the cause of great controversy.  You would understand what a struggle it was for folks here to get their initial doses amidst a massively botched vaccination program.  It wasn't "easy peasy" like in the US.

If you had actually received your 2X PFE here, and not in the US, you would understand this situation.  Unfortunately you just don't seem to be able to parse the pertinent details.  

EDIT:  Just read on another thread were you stated "We just got ours, but had no luck before the 6 month date.  Even after 6 months, it was difficult."  Suffice to say you've lost all credibility.

Edited by Someone Else

3 hours ago, Someone Else said:

Yes and if you were here you would know that the PFE rollout for expats was very slow did not even begin until later in August, which was the cause of great controversy.  You would understand what a struggle it was for folks here to get their initial doses amidst a massively botched vaccination program.  It wasn't "easy peasy" like in the US.

If you had actually received your 2X PFE here, and not in the US, you would understand this situation.  Unfortunately you just don't seem to be able to parse the pertinent details.  

EDIT:  Just read on another thread were you stated "We just got ours, but had no luck before the 6 month date.  Even after 6 months, it was difficult."  Suffice to say you've lost all credibility.

And if you followed Thai social media, you'd know many here got Pfizer jabs well before that.  Military, government officials, hi so's, etc.

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

And if you followed Thai social media, you'd know many here got Pfizer jabs well before that.  Military, government officials, hi so's, etc.

I was talking about when EXPATS got PFE jabs, not the hiso-govt officials.  Yes everyone knows they got the priority, that was part of the well-documented controversy.   Not sure what the latter group has to do with anything since this is a expat forum not one for Thai Govt officials??

Just an FYI, social media not a credible source of information.  My posts are based on the reality of living here, not browsing facebook.  

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

Actually he CONFIRMED my info was correct:  he had to wait for 6 months!  "We just got ours, but had no luck before the 6 month date."  

4 hours ago, FinChin67 said:

Is your Bangkok hospital this Bangkok Hospital? The reason I ask is that I have spoken to them about the exact same scenario, should it happen to me, that is going for a PCR test, and it showing me positive. They said that if symptoms are mild or you're asymptomatic, you can isolate at home. Their website also states this. It is very irritating that they immediately tried to hospitalise you, when your symptoms are not severe; obviously they relented, but this should be the default position. When they tried to force you to be hospitalised, did they say for how long?

25 minutes ago, samtam said:

Is your Bangkok hospital this Bangkok Hospital? The reason I ask is that I have spoken to them about the exact same scenario, should it happen to me, that is going for a PCR test, and it showing me positive. They said that if symptoms are mild or you're asymptomatic, you can isolate at home. Their website also states this. It is very irritating that they immediately tried to hospitalise you, when your symptoms are not severe; obviously they relented, but this should be the default position. When they tried to force you to be hospitalised, did they say for how long?

It's Bangkok hospital Rayong from where I got the results and call.  I believe they have instructions to tell you to go in first to make money as 10k per day is not that bad.. They did not say how many days either but I have a feeling they would keep you as long as they could. As I knew you can isolate at home I said no as I don't have any symptoms even if they verified. They just sent the form I needed to fill in through google docs which was of course all in thai and the instructions for home isolation as well. I sent an email asking for English form and instructions but surprise, no reply... However later I'm going to go and get a paper from them that I have had covid so I can add it to our country's "vaccine passport"..

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

COVID is not the flu.

Sure felt like it as I had it now but I have three shots (2 Pfizer+ 1 Moderna). Same goes for about 15 people I know who had it. Two of them no vaccine (had Delta) and rest 2 shots. Nobody told of any serious "covid" special symptoms other than one who lost smell and taste for a few days.

• Like 1