What's the deal with the O-A visa?

On 1/30/2022 at 7:26 AM, Paulaew said:

Why would someone bother getting an O-A visa? They can just enter Thailand on a tourist visa or visa-exempt entry and then apply for a normal non-O visa.

It's only been the last couple of years the O-A visa/extensions added the insurance requirement. 

Also the O-A is multiple entry with a 1 year expiration date.  So the first year you could leave and reenter just before it expired and get almost 2 years out of it without having to pay for an extension.  Of course Covid made that more difficult too.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 8:01 AM, tonray said:

The problem is extensions have same requirements as O visa retirement holders...but get tagged with additional insurance. My guess is the ministers have no working knowledge of the extension process/requirements and only saw that OA visa holders not required to have money here, hence insurance. Reality is law being applied inappropriately due to their ambiguous orders and this is Thailand....nobody is going to tell their boss (Minister level) that they need to change it.

I am on an OA Visa, but on my extention I  had to not only produce a health insurance but also had to show 800000 Baht in a Thai Bank. Initial first application for an OA Visa issued by your country from where you apply for it you didn't have to have money in a Thai Bank.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

My take on the OA.

Got mine in 2016, the attraction was :

A 1 year multi entry visa, with a border hop shortly before that expired gave a further 1 year permission to stay.

The choice of where to keep any savings, Thai/foreign banks.

Now , with the mandatory health insurance since 2019 but more importantly the increased health insurance coverage, due to start Sept 2022, I am looking at dumping the OA ext with a view to obtaining an O visa and subsequent extension.

I consider the OA visa done and dusted.

Never once, despite some accusations, did I ever consider it a vehicle for dodging paying any hospital bills, have always paid any medical expenses promptly.

Would like to hear of any posters who have OA visa/extension, past or present, who chose this route as a way to dodge paying hospital bills ??

I had OA in 2019 with intention of leaving and entering to gain the 2 yrs but covid hit so If you want to extend you have to show 800K in Thai Bank plus Insurance. Long story short I left and entered visa exempt, going for the Non O now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jurg said:

I am on an OA Visa, but on my extention I  had to not only produce a health insurance but also had to show 800000 Baht in a Thai Bank. Initial first application for an OA Visa issued by your country from where you apply for it you didn't have to have money in a Thai Bank.

You could have exited Thailand and reentered just before the 1 yr is up and got another 12 mos. automatically.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 9:04 AM, sqwakvfr said:

“Not having strong ties”?  Non O Ext of Stay-1 year Non OA 1 year?  Both allow 1 year stays.  No one is guaranteed to have any visa extended.  Many of us who have lived in LOS for years know or knew of people who lived in LOS for years and have invested money in condos and vehicles who are still treated like they just “got off the boat”.  The only foreigner who actually has “strong ties” is someone who has Thai Citizenship or Permanent Residency.  All others in LOS are here on a year to year basis without guarantees.   It does not matter how I feel about the country or the people the government makes it difficult to establish or maintain “strong ties”.  This is one of the reasons I have always gone through the OA Visa as apposed to the O Ext of Stay route.  Treat me like a long term visitor then I will behave like a long term visitor who obeys the laws, respects the customs and treats the people with kindness.  

Essentially I  agree with what you are pointing out. All I would add is a person who is married with a Thai and or even has a child(ren) here in Thailand, would and could be looked upon of having "strong ties" with this country.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2022 at 8:05 AM, overherebc said:

No money needed in the bank the main reason then. That fits.

When you initiate your EoS on an OA you need to prove 800 000, same as an O. Sure, you don’t need the money for the 2 years (if you leave/re-enter at 12 months) but the OA is designed for retirees - hence police clearance etc - and not as a 2 year tourist visa. It’s been a while, but I think you still attend immigration like everyone else…

As far as insurance goes, the ‘rubbish’ local 400 000 requirement falls away and is replaced in Sep (?) by a substantive 3m baht (can be sourced overseas) requirement which seems reasonable, given medical costs.

Edited by Bogbrush

2 hours ago, biervoormij said:

It also states this is for people that cannot be insured. I am currently insured for my O-A extensions and not sure they can refuse my renewal. Does that mean I can not move to self insured when this new policy happens?

I'm in a similar situation. Got my LMG insurance the last age allowed, i.e., age 75. Renewed at age 76. And, since I've never filed any claims, assume renewing at age 77 and onward is pretty much assured. But I really don't want to renew with the premiums quadrupling with the 3M Covid coverage. And, if I can show a denied application, I guess I could then switch to self insuring, or in my case, using my home country insurance. So-- just cancel my current LMG policy; then reapply, and be denied, 'cause I'm age 77. Weird way to do business, but this TGIA business has always been weird.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

My take on the OA.

Got mine in 2016, the attraction was :

A 1 year multi entry visa, with a border hop shortly before that expired gave a further 1 year permission to stay.

The choice of where to keep any savings, Thai/foreign banks.

Now , with the mandatory health insurance since 2019 but more importantly the increased health insurance coverage, due to start Sept 2022, I am looking at dumping the OA ext with a view to obtaining an O visa and subsequent extension.

I consider the OA visa done and dusted.

Never once, despite some accusations, did I ever consider it a vehicle for dodging paying any hospital bills, have always paid any medical expenses promptly.

Would like to hear of any posters who have OA visa/extension, past or present, who chose this route as a way to dodge paying hospital bills ??

If there are, and I would think that is a strong possibility, no one is going to admit it, especially on a public forum.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If there are, and I would think that is a strong possibility, no one is going to admit it, especially on a public forum.

So you are saying it is a strong possibility that people chose the OA visa over the O visa with a view to dodge paying hospital bills ??

While neither you, i or anyone else can say how many chose the OA for that reason i think it is very unlikely as the OA visa has the additional requirements of a police record check and health certificate.

Plus the financial requirements are still 800k baht but can be in a home country bank !!

Of course, no one will admit that but i think rather than a strong possibility it is more likely a rarity.

My opinion only, obviously.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JimGant said:

But I really don't want to renew with the premiums quadrupling with the 3M Covid coverage. And, if I can show a denied application, I guess I could then switch to self insuring, or in my case, using my home country insurance. So-- just cancel my current LMG policy; then reapply, and be denied, 'cause I'm age 77. Weird way to do business, but this TGIA business has always been weird.

The beauty of the 3 million Baht coverage is that you can use your home country insurance. I know Insurance is a touchy subject with a lot of people, and personally I would ban anyone - especially tourists- from entering Thailand who did not have such cover.  The self-insuring argument doesn’t really hold water either; if you are rich enough to pay for a 3 million Baht operation, you are rich enough to pay for the premiums.

As far as ‘insurance denied’ goes, there is I believe a provision for immigration accepting this, but I wouldn’t wish my worst enemy to be in that position. Old, no insurance, and sitting in Thailand? No thanks.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

So you are saying it is a strong possibility that people chose the OA visa over the O visa with a view to dodge paying hospital bills ??

While neither you, i or anyone else can say how many chose the OA for that reason i think it is very unlikely as the OA visa has the additional requirements of a police record check and health certificate.

Plus the financial requirements are still 800k baht but can be in a home country bank !!

Of course, no one will admit that but i think rather than a strong possibility it is more likely a rarity.

My opinion only, obviously.

It is very hard to say, but it is only an opinion,

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Anyone else you would like to ban.

Think that's a bit heavy handed.

I don’t think so;  lack of insurance shows a lack of moral responsibility and a disregard for yourself, those closest to you and society in general. It’s a selfish, self-centred attitude along the line of ‘I’m Alright Jack’ and everything will be fine – until it isn’t. Then comes the excuses, the hand wringing and the crowdfunding.
Sadly, maybe it is indicative of the type of people who come to Thailand that the subject of insurance should be such an emotive one.

Anyone  else I would like to ban? There is not enough room on this site, mate…????

• Sad 1

On 1/30/2022 at 11:39 AM, Old Croc said:

Reasonable for newly issued O-As.

Where it stinks is that they added the insurance requirement to extensions of O-A visas issued well before this requirement came into being (no grandfathering).  Extensions that also require the money in the bank. A double financial obligation only for those with this visa class.  Combined with the timing of closed borders preventing easy travel out to change to an O.

Additionally, they demand the insurance be purchased from selected Thailand companies with rip-off rates and myriad exclusions.  A high level scam.

Point taken.  Phuket is one of few immigration offices that did and does grandfather Non-O extensions of stay on the health insurance requirement.

3 hours ago, flexomike said:

If that is the case fine, but how about us who originally entered on OA visas way before this was implemented, should have been some grandfathering when they implemented this rule, I know, just leave the country and come back in visa exempt, but I will be 75 this year and with my luck if I did this they would change the requirement for all visas and extensions. I am living with it, it is what it is.

Read the attached re insurance grandfathering and if it applies to you consider Phuket Immigration for your Non-OA extention of stay:

https://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/retirement/

• Like 2

On 1/31/2022 at 2:00 PM, skatewash said:

Point taken.  Phuket is one of few immigration offices that did and does grandfather Non-O extensions of stay on the health insurance requirement.

Yes, my first extension after the change was at Phuket so I didn't need the insurance. However, having then moved elsewhere the same sensible ruling didn't apply.

As I wouldn't pay a dodgy agent, nor get scanned and medically probed from head to foot looking for possible reasons to exclude payouts, I was forced into marriage, not for the first time!

On 1/31/2022 at 1:23 PM, possum1931 said:

Changing from an OA Visa to an O Visa would require you to leave Thailand, then re-entry on a Tourist Visa and then apply stright away for an O Visa in here in Thailand.

Or am I missing something here? Please correct me if there is another way to change the OA Visa.

3 minutes ago, Jurg said:

Changing from an OA Visa to an O Visa would require you to leave Thailand, then re-entry on a Tourist Visa and then apply stright away for an O Visa in here in Thailand.

Or am I missing something here? Please correct me if there is another way to change the OA Visa.

Correct, but you could also come back into Thailand on a visa-exempt entry (if from one of the countries allowed to do this).  Also, you would not want to leave Thailand with a valid re-entry permit as that would result in you re-entering on the basis of your existing extension of stay.