Thailand ranked 5th best worldwide for retirees by French magazine

webfact

2 hours ago, StevePettman said:

Whilst I personally love Thailand (even with it's numerous faults) I would never take for granted anything the TAT say as true. This mob seem to come up with ridiculous and outlandish figures on a daily basis. 

???? I wonder what exactly they scored points on when it comes to the real estate - did they get points for not let foreigners own land and house in their own name or the artificially high prices on what the foreigners may put in their name (condos) as a result of the first one ...?... ????

Edited by ttrd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Millcx said:

If you believe TAT then you are living a boring one or have a few Bob … Think of the guys who don’t … Wait until you run out or get stiffed 55555

Actually it's not TAT, it's a french magazine. And I don't particularly believe this kind of surveys. I just said that I agree that Thailand is a good place to retire - I have a few Bobs as you say and I could choose other places. I am sure there are, but I feel ok here. I have seen enough of the world before settling down here, and I mean really remote places not Greece or Portugal. Getting stiff, I assure you it's on my mind more often than I'd like.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Well things are never a problem until they are.

How do you think inter action with the Law is here.

Same as back home ? i some how think not.

True. So what should I do? Move to my home country (that I don't like for more than a vacation) because of the possibility that one day I might be on the wrong side of the law in Thailand?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StevePettman said:

Whilst I personally love Thailand (even with it's numerous faults) I would never take for granted anything the TAT say as true. This mob seem to come up with ridiculous and outlandish figures on a daily basis. 

Fortune Favours The Brave.

Written by TAT presumably 55555

1 minute ago, Orinoco said:

This is nonsense. or you did not prepare paper work correctly for her. ( what country are you from ) ?

Your country will have a set of rules and requirements to get a visa for it. the list will be clear and she will not be asked to go away and get some extra bit of paper just on the whim of the particular person she is sitting in front of.

Can we same the same about Thailand immigration.

Think not.

I have heard of a few horror stories from those attempting to get Visas to the UK for Thai partners...... there may be occasions where this happens. Although my personal experience went well and I got the Visa first time.... bombarded them with paper!

• Like 2

I think what isn't considered nearly enough in all these rankings is long-term residency security, or the lack thereof.

In Thailand, foreign retirees usually doesn't have a path to permanent residency, so they will be depending on yearly extensions throughout their stay. This can lead to all kinds of problems many years down the line. A deteriorating ability to deal with immigration or changing requirements come to mind.

A French retiree who retires in Greece or Portugal, on the other hand, doesn't have to deal with immigration matters at all.

• Like 2

Just now, jacko45k said:

I have heard of a few horror stories from those attempting to get Visas to the UK for Thai partners...... there may be occasions where this happens. Although my personal experience went well and I got the Visa first time.... bombarded them with paper!

yes this is true.

But most of the time. its poorly prepared paper work and/or the ladies, have been evasive when asked questions at the interview.

But now days all you need is a schengen visa,  easy to get.

Nip across to France, buy a rubber dinghy at calais and pop across.

jobs a good'n.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Surely being an orphan only widens your horizons... we mostly all end up as orphans as we get older. The proximity of many other countries and the UK (if that is where you originally come from) is a positive. I too have committed to Thailand somewhat, but there are some factors about the place really concern me.  

Nothing is perfect in this world. But with the help of my Thai lady I get by. And that is the longest relationship I ever had. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Most of us don't have loads of money but we can live on our pensions quite nicely here. And the weather is so good compared to the weather back home. I would think it would much higher up than fifth on the list. And that's not even talking about the greatness on the Thai people.

Agreed. Outpriced in theUSA on my monthly retirement budget of $2400 USD ($1385 from SS), I can live comfortably in Thailand.

• Like 2

Just now, WinterGael said:

I've also noted a certain degree of racism directed my way and no longer accept being referred to as farang as most times, it is derogatory. 

I don't mind Falang, but will not except it from Family

or people that know me. :jap:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I agree! Or I wouldn't be here.

And now, cue the bashers.

110% better than anywhere else on the list and Indonesia shouldn’t even be on the list as only Bali could qualify as a retirement destination, leaving the rest of Indonesia uninhabitable for retirees. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Orinoco said:

I do believe your wife will have only minimal contact with immigration from your home country.

One can only assume you have never dealt with a Thai entering a European country.

A lot of whinging on here about insurance to enter Thailand, been mandatory for the EU since day one. 

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/schengen-visa-application-requirements/

As for the UK, the application is about 13 pages and my wife was interrogated for around 20  minutes in an office by border force on her first arrival. They try and scare foreigners into saying the wrong thing. Having a visa only gets you to the desk, not past it.