Thailand ranked 5th best worldwide for retirees by French magazine

webfact

This 'Bangkok, 14 January, 2022 – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is pleased to report that the ‘2022 Annual Global Retirement Index’ released this month by International Living has named Thailand as the best Asian country for foreigners to retire, and the 11th best country to retire worldwide.' from;

https://www.tatnews.org/2022/01/global-survey-positions-thailand-as-no-1-asian-destination-for-retirees/

I really don't think it matters whether Thailand is is 1st, 5th, 11th 100th....because, probably, most do a little research to see which country suits them best. Not only that, expats have many different reasons for choosing a destination and surely at present, it is difficult to decide about anything. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

I know of at least 2 friends that have committed to moving to Portugal,one a family. While probably a little more expensive overall there are particular tax incentives offered by the government which probably more than offset that and of course no ‘Russian roulette' with visa renewal,as here. The difference between a government tolerating your presence while it suits vs one which actively encourages retirees to move there . For Europeans having the rest of Europe on the doorstep too must be an advantage .

So what? 

I'm an orphan, and I don't have a family in Europe. So retiring and Thailand was ideal for me. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, blazes said:

No mention of how hospitable the kind Immigration Officers are when we go to get our 90-day stamp to prove we are not involved in criminal activity....

In my experience they are very kind an efficient actually. it costs me zero time. Or I can do it online.

I know I sound like the typical Thai apologist, I usually am not, but I report my own experience I understand others may differ.

Now, my non-european wife on the other hand, when she has to apply for a visa to my own country, she can tell you what a pleasant experience it is to deal with my immigration officers. Not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1