NOW, in my home, it is 10 degrees C: Sort of like a Three-Dog-Night, and bitterly cold. Question: What type of Water Heater do you use? How many Watts? Is your water heater ever Hot enough?

GammaGlobulin

My Dear Friends,

Here it is again, the Cold Season.

And now, this week, we are having a cold snap.

Can we begin a poll about Water Heater Watts?

aa. How many watts is your water heater?

bb. No matter how many watts, is it ever enough during a cold snap?

When it gets really cold, during mornings, then people here just refuse to take showers, I guess.

So, how many watts do you have?

As far as I know, most showers are fitted with water heaters of about 3000 watts to 4500 watts.

Yet, in my opinion, 4500 watts, during a cold snap, is only fit for washing hands in a sink, and not for showering luxuriously while shampooing.

How many watts do you have connected to your shower head?

One can never have too much hot water in the Cold Season.

By the way:  Was it not Donald Rumsfeld who installed about 12 showerheads in one shower stall, at government's expense, in order to be hit from all sides by hot water, while showering?

Actually, as I recall, maybe it was Cheney.

Anyway, for me, 10 degrees C is really cold.

Minus 50 degrees C, for me, once seemed to be rather balmy, when I lived up north in Canada for a spell.

Not surprisingly, after acclimatizing to SE Asian weather, for over 40 years, 10 degrees C gives one the shivers.

No matter how "cold" the weather turns in Thailand, very few of us resort to wearing gloves.

Well, sometimes people wear gloves here.  But, the wearing of gloves is not due to the weather, mostly.

Some people have a 6000 watt water heater.

But, 6000 watts is not enough, still.

Even 8000 watts is not adequate for a decent full-flow shower in the early mornings, during the Cold Season.

What we really need is a water heater with an output of about 12,000 watts.

However, in order to use this, then your normal electrical connection might not be up to snuff.

So what about yours?

Do you have a piddling little water heater?

If so, then do you dread taking a shower in the mornings, during cold snaps?

Just asking.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

By the way, even 8000 watts is still not enough, if you wish to have a nice luxurious shower at 6 AM, during the cold season, in the north of Thailand.

Also, as I said before, when the weather is cold, lying in bed with one's loved one, even making love is not fun.

Everybody here, as far as I know, dislikes the cold, in the mornings, no matter how exotic it might be. And, even 18 degrees, here, culturally speaking, is considered to be frigid weather.

Hope you have 12,000 watts, and hope your machine is a STIEBEL ELTRON.

• Sad 1

Honestly speaking, if one desires a decent shower, using the full flow setting on our showerheads, and hoping for maximum steam in one's shower area, just as we all once enjoyed while attending Ivy League schools, back in the day, when we were young bucks and rowing, then, for sure, we should buy, at least, 12,000 watt water heaters for use in mild climates, such as we have here in Thailand.

There is REALLY nothing like a lot of steam in a well and beautifully tiled room in order to start one's day, and set one up for a hearty breakfast.

Everybody knows this is absolutely true.

Really, it is true.

2 minutes ago, fredscats said:

Electric blanket   cheapest method keeping warm,not just in bed  60 watts  less than 2 cents an hour

8000 watt water heater, which is the highest wattage sold in most local stores, is still not enough.

And, at this wattage, that would be about 40 Baht per hour.

When the weather is cold, I take a 40-Baht shower, and feel thankful for it.

3500w and more than enough, for PKK.  Use to live at Udon Thani, and 8000w there, which would easily brew you tea.  Cool season was much cooler there, and needed when it dipped below 20C to the low teens.

52 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

8000 watt water heater, which is the highest wattage sold in most local stores, is still not enough.

Get a gas water heater, is 24kW equivalent enough for you?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/gas-water-heater-flue-type-water-heater-wholesale-liquefied-gas-natural-gas-water-heater-household-hhk392-i1938922739-s6139004024.html?

Note- This is an example, not a recommendation.

• Like 1

4kw and it NEVER gets turned up beyond half way.

If it was set high you woukdnt want it anywhere near your body!

It plenty hot enough for my needs. I never shoower in the morning, shower is taken at night before bed. Morning is just a face wash.

Sounds to me your heater neds servicing, may be full of limescale and not working at its best.????

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Get a gas water heater, is 24kW equivalent enough for you?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/gas-water-heater-flue-type-water-heater-wholesale-liquefied-gas-natural-gas-water-heater-household-hhk392-i1938922739-s6139004024.html?

Note- This is an example, not a recommendation.

12,000 watts would be enough.

I have only 8000 watts, and it is definitely not enough.

Truly.

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

12,000 watts would be enough.

I have only 8000 watts, and it is definitely not enough.

Truly.

A 12kW electric heater would draw 54A, so unless you have 3-phase or a 30/100 meter 8kW is the biggest realistically ???? 

There are also 12kW equivalent gas heaters out there, but you can turn down one that's too big, you can't boost one that's too small.

• Like 1

"As the election neared, President Donald Trump said he would deliver to Americans shower heads that really let the water flow. No more drip-drip-drip showers supposedly caused by water-conservation rules.

“You take a shower, the water doesn’t come out,” Trump said at the White House last July. “You want to wash your hands, the water doesn’t come out. So what do you do? You just stand there longer or you take a shower longer? Because my hair — I don’t know about you, but it has to be perfect. Perfect.”

It sounded like an idle riff.

But in December, as his administration was getting ready to depart, Trump’s Energy Department announced it had changed the rules for shower heads. The amount of water used in a shower was still capped at 2.5 gallons per minute. But the agency gave a new interpretation of the cap, saying water use would be measured per shower head instead of per shower stall. Many newer shower stalls have multiple shower heads. So three shower heads in one stall, for example, could allow for 7.5 gallons per minute."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/07/19/trump-stronger-showers/

Anyway, as I stated, it was either Rummy or Cheney who had, like, 12 high power shower heads installed in his stall.

Not joking.

The more powerful the politician, then the more showerheads they might need, perhaps.

As for me, 12,000 watts is about right, during very cold mornings in Thailand.

I know I am right.

I think the water "heaters" in our bathrooms are only 3500 watts, which is just enough to take the granny off the cold water in certain months (Dec/Jan). Having said that I only have the power on in Dec/Jan for my shower before bed. The power is off for my morning shower all the time. 

13 degrees here....After researching online & shopping a few places being shown the +/- by sales staff we went the Pansonic brand....The sales person did point out that if the flow is low the water temp can fluctuate - and it does toward the hot side if I turn down the volume...So far we haven't needed to go beyond 1/2 and still have a nice, warm shower.....Have not had a reason to try a hotter setting....

There was a thread/topic on here a few years back about heaters for use in the mountains with colder temps & that's where I was initially pointed towards the Pansonic recommendations....

Our daughter was up showering & washing her hair early this morning & no yelps from her bathroom.....

19 minutes ago, Crossy said:

A 12kW electric heater would draw 54A, so unless you have 3-phase or a 30/100 meter 8kW is the biggest realistically ???? 

There are also 12kW equivalent gas heaters out there, but you can turn down one that's too big, you can't boost one that's too small.

YES,  you are exactly correct.

This is why I have only 8000 watts, which is not enough.

The circuit connected to the bathroom is only 55 amps, as you also state, correctly.

I'm pretty sure mine was 2,000, which did get a bit cool in "winter", but as a real "winter" never came to where I lived it was sufficient. Even in Lamphun the only concession I made to "winter" was a sheet over me.

In Chiang Mai I never remember being cold any time.

Want a hot shower, do what I did in the village; heat some water in a saucepan and pour it over yourself.

Some guys on here need to join the army and find out why they have nothing to complain about.

53 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You are correct.

Without 3-phase, as you say, this is the limiting factor.

This is why I have only 8000.

Still, in Europe, water heaters routinely go to much higher output.

Not sure why this is possible in Europe, but not possible here.

Obviously, throughout much of this month, the water input temp will continue to drop.

And, for sure, when you turn the shower to full blast, the water temperature becomes nothing above lukewarm, even at 8000 watts.

Having lived in Japan for some time, these "lukewarm" bathing conditions might cause an uprising and revolution, judging from the love of hot water among the Japanese people.

If you want a nice hot bath, therefore, the best solution might be to head to your favorite Onsen Ryokan in Tokyo, or up in the mountains, where you can bathe together with Snow Monkeys.

123749054_351811499456665_491387395652135306_n.jpg.d58c34e0cffcae7480183cb1073f3819.jpg

Otherwise, in Thailand, just using locally sold 8000 watt water heaters, this might not be enough for you.

There is no doubt, of course, that if you  were to contact a decent contractor, then you could get enough heat for your shower.

Or, probably better, one should instal a solar hot water heater, which would seem to be the most environmentally friendly solution.

Of all choices available, my preference would be to always bathe with macaques in the snow, in Nagano.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

41 minutes ago, PFMills said:

GG, if you want to know how powerfull a water heater you want, and can’t work it out, why didn’t you post this in the DIY section.

Maybe some mod who feels sorry for you will move it.

OK.

But, I actually DO know what size water I need, thank you, as I stated above.

This is not about my asking DIY questions, which I really do not care about.

The TOPIC, as you can read, is sort of a poll to inquire the wattage of water heaters that most Farang Pub Readers use.

Simple question, really.

And so, how many water heaters do you use.

And, then, what is the wattage of each machine you use.

And, does anyone here, during the Cold Season, ever get a hot-enough shower.  Because, I never do, for sure.

Thank you!

Note:  Absolutely, no penalty if you do not wish to answer the question. Yet, please participate if you are willing.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

11 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

OK.

But, I actually DO know what size water I need, thank you, as I stated above.

This is not about my asking DIY questions, which I really do not care about.

The TOPIC, as you can read, is sort of a poll to inquire the wattage of water heaters that most Farang Pub Readers use.

Simple question, really.

And so, how many water heaters do you use.

And, then, what is the wattage of each machine you use.

Thank you!

Note:  Absolutely, no penalty if you do not wish to answer the question. Yet, please participate if you are willing.

And having that knowledge will????

22 minutes ago, PFMills said:

And having that knowledge will????

Anyone who has lived here long enough knows that showers in the Hot Season are TOO HOT.

Showers in the Cold Season are TOO COLD.

And so, almost everyone who prefers control over their showers, no doubt, is seeking further knowledge about this topic.

I am quite sure that I am correct, simply because this has always been a very hot topic of discussion, from my experience.

The only experience I have not, might be yellow showers, but such a topic should be posted elsewhere, for sure.

If 6 or 8000w is not enough, one could always go to gas, or even just changing the shower head, to provide more pressure, with same volume.  Enclose the shower area, so 'steam' stays in, instead of dissipating into an open room.

8000w was more than enough at Udon Thani, even on the 10-15C weeks.  

Way up here it is nice to sit in the sun with a cuppa first thing at 9.30.  Our water heater is a Stiebel Eltron , don't know how powerful but after a bike ride through the rice fields at 5 pm the heater is set 3/4 towards max  and that is quite hot enough . In the morning just a cold face wash .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

We have a Stiebel Eltron. Ps 150 I think is the model. Plenty of hot water for all of us at home.

That's the way to go. Hot water tank.

Can work with less than 3 kW.
Makes no sense to use a continuous flow water heater with such extreme power requirements.

Not for an hour in the shower though :shock1:

Or look for the biggest of the big.

Edited by KhunBENQ