Phuket Taxi Mafia Going Crazy Again

Banana7

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

I didn't have to leave, I could have stayed as long as I wanted as I had a pretty cushy job at the time which allowed me to work remotely. However, a job opportunity in Bangkok came up and I chose to take it as I wasn't really enjoying living there any more (for the reasons I mentioned) and felt like a change. Been in Bangkok 13 years now and absolutely love it. I've been back to Phuket for holidays 3 times since (when family visited) and never regret my decision to leave as it seems to be worse every time I go.

Feel free to address any of the points I made though if you think they are inaccurate. Using a false premise to attack the poster as opposed to the points made is never a good look ???? ????.

Your 'points' have been addressed already very adequately. So I stand very much by my post 

On top of that, complaining about Phuket's tuktuk prices and at the same time claiming people in Bangkok are so honest. Guess you forgot about the Bangkok tuktuk scams, and yes, they really are scams, the 'grand palace is closed today' scam and other scams.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Your 'points' have been addressed already very adequately. So I stand very much by my post 

On top of that, complaining about Phuket's tuktuk prices and at the same time claiming people in Bangkok are so honest. Guess you forgot about the Bangkok tuktuk scams, and yes, they really are scams, the 'grand palace is closed today' scam and other scams.

The BKK TukTuk "palace shut today" scam is for tourists fresh off the boat and most of those don't even fall for it.

I'm talking about living in the 2 places as a long term expat. Living in BKK the taxis are quite happy to use the meter in 99% of cases and the fares are ridiculously cheap. 50 Baht for a couple of kms etc. Good luck with that in Phuket.

Got anything else?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The BKK TukTuk "palace shut today" scam is for tourists fresh off the boat and most of those don't even fall for it.

I'm talking about living in the 2 places as a long term expat. Living in BKK the taxis are quite happy to use the meter in 99% of cases and the fares are ridiculously cheap. 50 Baht for a couple of kms etc. Good luck with that in Phuket.

Got anything else?

As I said, your points have been addressed very adequately by another poster.

So those honest Bangkok tuktuks scamming people is ok because it is aimed at tourists, but Phuket tuktuks charging high prices, with the fares known in advance, is not ok because you're talking about living on Phuket. Where, just like in any other non big city area, people living there have their own transportation.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yeah, I didn't think you could. That's fine. I won't ask again.

The BKK TukTuk scam isn't OK but frankly it's not my concern. Like most people, when I choose a place to live I tend to focus on things that actually affect me and my daily life as a long term stayer. The taxis and tuktuks in Phuket directly affected me when I was living there as an expat because it affected my ability to get around. In BKK, the fact some TukTuk is scamming a naive tourist at the Grand Palace is not my problem any more than a tourist getting mugged in Johannesburg is my problem. It has no impact on my life. I just hail a moving taxi, get in and they turn on the meter and it's cheap as chips.

There's really no need to be so defensive. If you like the place that's fine. I think it's turned into a bit of a dump and not a great place to stay long term and I gave my reasons. But keep your head buried in the sand if it makes you feel better about your choices.

Points have been addressed already so you conclude I can't address? Strange reasoning, so you're very consistent, I give you that.

On 2/9/2022 at 8:55 AM, zzzzz said:

mom an pop shops charge the same to everyone, yes their prices are higher than 7/11 but they dont buy in bulk

Mom & pop stores in CM are generally cheaper than 7-11.

They have no franchise fees to pay.

I went to an island once (Koh Libong 10 years back), same taxi mafia there.

I've never been back to any Thai island, seem too risky to me.

Better to holiday in Vietnam where there's a public bus service to all the airports.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 10:43 AM, richard_smith237 said:

You may wish to ease off the sauce... :whistling:

Not sure what makes you think I've been boozing here, pretty arrogant suggestion, just saying if you already know that the price of the cab is going to be expensive, why make trouble? Get over it, and yourself capital D Smith.

On 2/9/2022 at 8:55 AM, zzzzz said:

35 years in phuket < NEVER seen a double price menu anywhere.

Were you born blind or did you have an accident later in life?

The Thai price menu are in Thai. The farang price menu is in English.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Sure, dual language menus pretty much standard, but in my 15 years here in Phuket, I haven't seen price differences.   In these days of extensive social media use, any place that tried that would soon suffer.

7 hours ago, Adumbration said:

??> i can read thai an everywhere i have seen thai prices vs English prices they are the same.
some of us learn the language  ????

• Haha 1

On 2/10/2022 at 9:17 AM, stevenl said:

Those scams in Bangkok are very localised and minor in comparison to the problems on Phuket, where it is the majority of drivers, protected by organised crime, that are ripping people off.

Guest Isaanlife
On 2/9/2022 at 9:58 PM, JonnyF said:

Got anything else?

I have had a bunch of experiences in Bangkok where the taxi asked where we wanted to go, then said no way and drove off.

If you want to go somewhere where there will be heavy traffic, around dinner or early evening, they will refuse to go. 

They know they will be gridlocked in traffic and won't make any money.

Some of the taxis, I think it was the pink ones, rent the taxi by the shift and have to make the rental cost plus something for their own pocket.

Guest Isaanlife

I don't agree with the taxi mafia, however, if I am going somewhere, I am very cautious about not being perceived as a trouble maker and avoid it.

Everyone should know the fix on Phuket and if you do not, well I can understand your anger and resentment.

I would never put myself or my family in danger over 600 baht because I know what can happen and you cannot win.

If you cannot afford it, find another mode of transportation before you get there.

A lot of those taxi mafia can come quite unhinged at the littlest thing.

10 hours ago, zzzzz said:

??> i can read thai an everywhere i have seen thai prices vs English prices they are the same.
some of us learn the language  ????

My Thai language skills are superior to yours.  16 years ago, when I was studying at a language school in Patong, we often went for lunch with our teacher to a busy plastic chair tourist restaurant nearby that had dual priced menus.  We liked to play a game to see who was fastest to listen in and calculate how much the 2 week millionaires were being ripped off.

10 hours ago, pagallim said:

Sure, dual language menus pretty much standard, but in my 15 years here in Phuket, I haven't seen price differences.   In these days of extensive social media use, any place that tried that would soon suffer.

Sigh...Ok let's start with some examples.  Any pancake sidecar in any of the tourist areas will sell to Thais for 15-20 baht and to farangs from 40 to 50 baht.

Any fried chicken stand will sell drumstick to a Thai customer for 15 baht and to a farang 25-35 baht.

And what use social media when the 2 week millionaire does not even know they are being overcharged?

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Sigh...Ok let's start with some examples.  Any pancake sidecar in any of the tourist areas will sell to Thais for 15-20 baht and to farangs from 40 to 50 baht.

Any fried chicken stand will sell drumstick to a Thai customer for 15 baht and to a farang 25-35 baht.

And what use social media when the 2 week millionaire does not even know they are being overcharged?

Sigh.....OK, what you are saying exists in any tourist area anywhere in Thailand.   I, and others are talking about restaurants, you know, those places where you sit down and are offered a menu etc, not some portable kitchen on the side of a motorbike that operates late at night.   You live in Thailand yes?  

9 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

May be an image of 1 person

we are talking about restaurants not the rip off/surcharge that the national parks place on white people

please show us a menu that has 2 different prices> an ur example is all lies, ( been living since '85 in phuket)

FYI:
an OLD TRIVCK  if ur unsure of the price, watch what a thai pays before you and listen to what the seller says>

".....My Thai language skills are superior to yours.""
u know me??  LOL

Edited by zzzzz

On 2/12/2022 at 6:23 AM, Henryford said:

If i ever go to Phuket (i know stupid) i always hire my own car. Unlimited rides for say 4,000 baht over 5 days compared to 600 a ride with the mafia. Just the ride to and from the airport pays half of the rental.

The issue there is if you also like a drink in the evening... then you / we are stuck with the taxi transport options. 

On 1/31/2022 at 2:52 PM, zzzzz said:

the full story to the OP

https://www.thephuketnews.com/i-am-not-a-cheat-says-phuket-taxi-driver-82918.php?fbclid=IwAR0MP94f9drPjZX7s7PHVVoCN1fZcE16PuCM5F3HAgi5ZT-ic9ifTZ9OJk4

personally i doubt he was ur friend but u wanted to post this rather than quote the original story>

it would be good if that hit the international news..... Amazingly Safe Thailand, no scams, no prostitution, no corruption

On 2/10/2022 at 9:17 AM, stevenl said:

BKK Tuk Tuk & taxi drivers "very honest ???????????????? " they always bring suitcase full of cash or jewellery back to customers  555

Edited by Mavideol