Chainsaw, Electric, Battery Powered - Recommendations

Old Croc

Looking to buy a smallish unit for lopping branches, cutting small trees, bamboo, etc. Trying to find something with a brand name and preferably not made in China. Not the very small, one handed units based on a grinder motor or whatever, but a bigger machine with a 10-12" blade that is still light enough for the lady to carry easily up tamarind trees. I would hate her to drop it on me as I sit in the shade watching her work.

After many hours searching Lazada and similar I've made little progress in choice.

Deception in advertising is rife with these things. I find what I think is a reasonable and affordable product only to discover the pricey batteries and chargers aren't included, or they neglect to tell you it needs to be plugged into a wall with a very long extension cord, or the "electric" unit has a 2 stroke motor!

Recommendation's greatly appreciated. I live in an isolated area with few large stores anywhere close so would appreciate something that can be bought on-line.

Thankyou.

• Like 1

It depends what your budget is. For professional use, have a look at this:

966_72_91_12_s.jpg.f88c4725b76e93adbb902c77a32de5c3.jpg

https://www.husqvarnathailand.com/en/product/9839-6543/husqvarna-battery-chainsaw-536lixp-bar-115-including-battery-and-charger

Great power saw, but it's going to set you back 50,400 baht for the power saw which includes 1 x battery and 1 x charger. Add on another 9,900 baht for an additional battery. It depends how much you use the machine. If it is used very frequently and for extended durations then it might suit you.

Here is a review:

Consider a reciprocating saw. The beauty of these is you can buy blades for all applications be it wood or steel plus they are battery operated plus you can operate single handed.

Milwaukee make a quality product that's available here:

https://shopee.co.th/Milwaukee-CHZ-0-เลื่อยชักเอนกประสงค์ไร้สาย-12-โวลท์--เครื่องเปล่า--i.287793770.3027688984?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiKOr4aje9QIVR5lmAh2Nmg6NEAQYAyABEgJBBPD_BwE

Edited to add that I've taken down trees 6" diameter trunk with this tool. Took a couple of batteries but not a problem.

Edited by Mahseer

20 minutes ago, blackcab said:

https://www.husqvarnathailand.com/en/product/9839-6543/husqvarna-battery-chainsaw-536lixp-bar-115-including-battery-and-charger

Great power saw, but it's going to set you back 50,400 baht for the power saw which includes 1 x battery and 1 x charger. Add on another 9,900 baht for an additional battery. It depends how much you use the machine. If it is used very frequently and for extended durations then it might suit you.

Here is a review:

IMHO it will be cheaper to buy some Chinese machine and throw it away when it breaks.

I want to buy one as I have a few dead trees to cut up and after that it will sit in my tool cupboard until next year. I can get a cheap one for about 5,000 thb or 12 cheap ones for the price of 1 Husqvarna.

IMO there is only one brand of chainsaw - electric or petrol - that is worth considering. Stihl. They will last a very long time if maintained properly, and can handle tough conditions. I've never tried Husqvarna, they may be as good.

Don't even think of buying Chinese, they are garbage. I bought a couple for my son, 24" blades. He cuts about 100 tonnes of firewood every year on his property. They broke down within weeks. Chasing a warranty claim was an exercise in futility, and there were no shops that had spare parts for them.

I then bought him a Stihl Farm Boss, about 15 years ago. He's still using it.

• Like 1

Have you thought about a pole saw?  Ideal for pruning branches that are hard to reach, or you can remove sections of the pole for closer work. I bought one of these about 5 years ago and it's still going strong.  I've cut through tree trunks and branches up to about a foot in diameter with it.  And you can buy other attachments, like hedge trimmers and leaf blowers for it as well.  The 40V battery lasts a long time and provides enough power to cut through everything I've thrown it at.

image.png.813d8df1fbf9c4f2e8bbeeae8cd1ee33.png

Greenwork Pole saw 2 in 1  40V - Greenworksthailand

18 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO there is only one brand of chainsaw - electric or petrol - that is worth considering. Stihl. They will last a very long time if maintained properly, and can handle tough conditions. I've never tried Husqvarna, they may be as good.

Don't even think of buying Chinese, they are garbage. I bought a couple for my son, 24" blades. He cuts about 100 tonnes of firewood every year on his property. They broke down within weeks. Chasing a warranty claim was an exercise in futility, and there were no shops that had spare parts for them.

I can understand somebody cutting 100 tons of firewood a year needing a high quality chainsaw,  but the majority of users would never cut that much in a lifetime. So why pay out 60,000 baht for something that gets maybe 20 or 30 hours use a year?

• Like 1

What, don't bother, get Somchai and Noi round.

one bottle Lao khao  60 baht,  300 baht each, per visit.

4 big beer Chang for yourself. 60 x 4 

Total cost. 900 baht. 

Zero hassle. and 100% entertainment.

Jobs a Good'n

Repeat once a year.

• Like 1

I have a Stihl MS180.  It is maybe 8 years old and I cannot remember exactly what I paid for it.  Maybe 8000.  Worth the money.

But the main reason I am posting is because I strongly advise against using a chainsaw at height.  You are much better off paying somebody else to do that; whether with your tool or their own.

Chainsaws can cause horrendous injuries and the risks increase at height.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

What he said.

The Chinese stuff is just an exercise in frustration.  Poor quality.  No parts or technical support.  Just don't bother.  In the Thai marketplace Stihl is the go to brand.  If you hire someone here to do chainsaw work I can almost guarantee they will turn up with a Stihl.  It's the Hilux of chainsaws. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Search on YouTube for what will suit your needs.

Problem might be availabilty in Thailand tho.

I bought an electric one, it's so so.

Have already viewed several comparison vids on YT, but finding the same machines on Lazada is almost impossible. 

Lazada is now just a Chinese outlet for most things.

15 hours ago, blackcab said:

Here is a review:

Seems to be a great unit for professional use. However, I just want a light weight unit for the missus to lop off a few branches and cut wood into manageable sizes. It will no doubt languish in he shed for most of the time. I don't want to pay top price for something that will be little used.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Consider a reciprocating saw. The beauty of these is you can buy blades for all applications be it wood or steel plus they are battery operated plus you can operate single handed.

Milwaukee make a quality product that's available here:

https://shopee.co.th/Milwaukee-CHZ-0-เลื่อยชักเอนกประสงค์ไร้สาย-12-โวลท์--เครื่องเปล่า--i.287793770.3027688984?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiKOr4aje9QIVR5lmAh2Nmg6NEAQYAyABEgJBBPD_BwE

Edited to add that I've taken down trees 6" diameter trunk with this tool. Took a couple of batteries but not a problem.

Thanks, a handy tool to have for many jobs. Even though you've cut down trees with one it seems unsuited for the planned use. 

15 hours ago, billd766 said:

IMHO it will be cheaper to buy some Chinese machine and throw it away when it breaks.

I want to buy one as I have a few dead trees to cut up and after that it will sit in my tool cupboard until next year. I can get a cheap one for about 5,000 thb or 12 cheap ones for the price of 1 Husqvarna.

Have considered doing this, but I do have a bias against that country's dishonest branding and theft of technology.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Tend to agree. Trouble is finding a suitable unit in Thailand for the planned use and for a reasonable price

14 hours ago, ballpoint said:

Have you thought about a pole saw?  Ideal for pruning branches that are hard to reach, or you can remove sections of the pole for closer work. I bought one of these about 5 years ago and it's still going strong.  I've cut through tree trunks and branches up to about a foot in diameter with it.  And you can buy other attachments, like hedge trimmers and leaf blowers for it as well.  The 40V battery lasts a long time and provides enough power to cut through everything I've thrown it at.

image.png.813d8df1fbf9c4f2e8bbeeae8cd1ee33.png

Greenwork Pole saw 2 in 1  40V - Greenworksthailand

Good idea, a consideration.

I bought one of the Chinese small chain saws a year ago. Recently ordered 2 new chains for it. Paid around 1500 for it on Lazada. They are around 1000 now. It has a 6 AH battery that lasts a few minutes actual cutting time. Cuts branches sup to 50 mm without problem. I would buy another if needed, but with 2 batteries instead. Thought it was a toy but it works OK for small cuttings. Do not buy any machine with smaller battery! Greenworks seem to have the same battery connection as mine, but fewer AH. For a chainsaw 6 - 10 AH is necessary or it will spend most time in charger.... You need 2 batteries. and you don't need longer blade than 4-5 inches, it will never cut anything thicker. Just unsafe climbing trees with long blade.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ballpoint said:

^ They also do more traditonal battery powered chainsaws too.  I like the fact that they're far quieter than a petrol powered one:

image.png.11eb34a9a771214754b9f74383bf8798.png

Thanks, I hadn't looked at Greenworks.

I actually have one of their lawn trimmer units. An older 12 volt version I bought for about 800 baht. I've given it a hiding, chopping out weeds, bushes (stones!) etc. I've gone through 3 metal cutting blades and worn out several batteries. The little motor hasn't skipped a beat. 

Looking at their chainsaws, the price you've indicated is for the body only, doesn't include battery nor charger (maybe even the bar and chain?)

15 hours ago, billd766 said:

I can understand somebody cutting 100 tons of firewood a year needing a high quality chainsaw,  but the majority of users would never cut that much in a lifetime. So why pay out 60,000 baht for something that gets maybe 20 or 30 hours use a year?

Exactly.

After an initial flurry of use, I'm sure a chainsaw would join the other much needed, at the time, tools (example-post hole digger) sitting in the shed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Orinoco said:

What, don't bother, get Somchai and Noi round.

one bottle Lao khao  60 baht,  300 baht each, per visit.

4 big beer Chang for yourself. 60 x 4 

Total cost. 900 baht. 

Zero hassle. and 100% entertainment.

Jobs a Good'n

Repeat once a year.

I agree, have suggested such many times for many different jobs.

However, there are several problems with that plan. The missus hates anyone else spending my money, she loves to collect things, she doesn't believe anyone else will do a good job, and there are very few under 65yo, non lazy men or non busy females, available in the district.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, In the jungle said:

I have a Stihl MS180.  It is maybe 8 years old and I cannot remember exactly what I paid for it.  Maybe 8000.  Worth the money.

But the main reason I am posting is because I strongly advise against using a chainsaw at height.  You are much better off paying somebody else to do that; whether with your tool or their own.

Chainsaws can cause horrendous injuries and the risks increase at height.

I have looked at that unit on Lazada, now selling for under 6000 baht.

But the weight of a motor and fuel present a safety concern at height.

I do have worries about the lady anytime she goes up a tree.

I recently found her up a neighbor's teak tree swinging a scythe at branches very close to high tension wires. Three elderly men were below hanging on to a pull rope and giving advice.

(incidentally, I'm in a wheelchair)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Thanks, I hadn't looked at Greenworks.

I actually have one of their lawn trimmer units. An older 12 volt version I bought for about 800 baht. I've given it a hiding, chopping out weeds, bushes (stones!) etc. I've gone through 3 metal cutting blades and worn out several batteries. The little motor hasn't skipped a beat. 

Looking at their chainsaws, the price you've indicated is for the body only, doesn't include battery nor charger (maybe even the bar and chain?)

That's correct.  The price includes body, bar and chain, but you need a battery and charger.  You're looking at 13,190 Baht for the full set on Lazada:

image.png.626226b278ba52a457b3967a4f0197bb.png

The pole saw with 40V battery and charger is 9,981 Baht there.  Unless you're looking at major forestry work, this is ample for pruning tree limbs up to about a foot in diameter, and removes the need for ladders or tree climbing to reach higher branches.  There are cheaper options but these are quality tools.  There's a few videos on YouTube that I looked at before deciding to buy one.  I got mine from an SCG Home Mart store for around the same price which allowed me to see it assembled and working before buying.  Our local HomePro also has them, for a bit more.

image.png.1f94a9524d6df814dc98aa24bf818b91.png

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, blackcab said:

Here is a review:

When it comes to that kind of price, it is better to hire locals to do the trimming. First of all you do not risk your health or most likely your wifes health. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

That's correct.  The price includes body, bar and chain, but you need a battery and charger.  You're looking at 13,190 Baht for the full set on Lazada:

image.png.626226b278ba52a457b3967a4f0197bb.png

The pole saw with 40V battery and charger is 9,981 Baht there.  Unless you're looking at major forestry work, this is ample for pruning tree limbs up to about a foot in diameter, and removes the need for ladders or tree climbing to reach higher branches.  There are cheaper options but these are quality tools.  There's a few videos on YouTube that I looked at before deciding to buy one.  I got mine from an SCG Home Mart store for around the same price which allowed me to see it assembled and working before buying.  Our local HomePro also has them, for a bit more.

image.png.1f94a9524d6df814dc98aa24bf818b91.png

Thanks for that, looks good.

I saw on the Greenworks website they have a hedge trimmer attachment as well.

https://www.greenworksthailand.com/en/product/8253-6276/pole-saw-2-in-1-40v-including-battery-and-charger

Edited by Will27

2 hours ago, Pogust said:

I bought one of the Chinese small chain saws a year ago. Recently ordered 2 new chains for it. Paid around 1500 for it on Lazada. They are around 1000 now. It has a 6 AH battery that lasts a few minutes actual cutting time.

I can virtually guarantee that it doesn’t actually have a 6 AH battery, it’s just claimed to be one. More probably 1~2 AH battery

2 hours ago, Pogust said:

I bought one of the Chinese small chain saws a year ago. Recently ordered 2 new chains for it. Paid around 1500 for it on Lazada. They are around 1000 now. It has a 6 AH battery that lasts a few minutes actual cutting time.

I can virtually guarantee that it doesn’t actually have a 6 AH battery, it’s just claimed to be one. More probably 1~2 AH battery