1 Year Old Condo

From a well known developer. Not  exactly cheap. Today I saw a few interested older gentlemen with their young cutsies talking to sales people. Good luck.

And if anyone can tell me where this damage comes from I'd be grateful. Surely not from me just taking the shower and water going through the wall ????

IMG_20220202_144802.jpg

IMG_20220202_144758.jpg

IMG_20220202_144746.jpg

IMG_20220202_144739.jpg

• Sad 1

The aircon picture is puzzling too as the aircon isn't leaking. At night there is a smell of pee coming through when the aircon is turned on. It gradually disappears. Any explanation?

The laminate flooring pic isn't clear, buy it is actually raised due to water damage. Expected I guess 

25 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

and the other reason.... you haven't got any money!!  ????

Looks like a water leak could be coming from an adjacent property.

Actually the wealthiest people I know here basically  own nothing in Thailand.  But they do own properties and investments in western countries that afforded true transparent investment opportunities.   To each their own, I would never buy any properties in Thailand.  Why?  The "I saved money on rent" argument is false unless a person lets the 3 million b sit in the bank for 10 years.  The S & P for example over the past 10 years has almost quadrupled.  Real estate in most western countries at least doubled.  But, do and think what you want seems lots of poor folks own real estate here can't wait to get out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly most of the units in our building are like this. Their bathrooms back onto the common corridor - and the walls are just like in your picture. In my own unit (as its a corner one) the bathroom is between the 2 bedrooms. Therefore we had the issue on our bedroom wall. In my case i tracked it down to the built in shower - where the pipes are all buried in the wall with just the shower head sticking out. I ripped it out one day as the head was dripping and they had buried the little flow control valves with the rubber grommets into the wall.  The valve was leaking and soaking the blockwork. Its much better now but the walls are still damp as i suspect some of the joints on the blue pipe they use are weaping. 

Even your aircon photo ive had similar. The condensate pipe was buried in the wall and was leaking into the plasterboard- as yours look like it is. When they serviced it first time they pull the head unit out slightly from the wall. That was enough to dislodge the rubber pipe coming from the head unit out of the blue water pipe they use to send it outside or to the bathroom etc. I eventually moved the head unit to an outside facing wall - which is where it should have been anyway. Then i was able to just run a drain pipe straight outside. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Looks like a water leak could be coming from an adjacent property.

Actually the wealthiest people I know here basically  own nothing in Thailand.  But they do own properties and investments in western countries that afforded true transparent investment opportunities.   To each their own, I would never buy any properties in Thailand.  Why?  The "I saved money on rent" argument is false unless a person lets the 3 million b sit in the bank for 10 years.  The S & P for example over the past 10 years has almost quadrupled.  Real estate in most western countries at least doubled.  But, do and think what you want seems lots of poor folks own real estate here can't wait to get out.

Yes, you are probably right. There are many wealthy people in Thailand who own nothing but the shirt on their backs. You see them nursing a beer Chang outside a 7 eleven store and eating street food. Glad to hear they are all invested to the hilt in properties and shares back in their home countries. :cheesy::cheesy:

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 2

OP, its rising damp, Water is sitting on the floor slab and the pourous concrete walls act like a sponge and soaks/draws up the water, in the bathroom case there is a water leak, tiles possibly need re-grouting, a leaky pipe in a wall etc. There is a leak, the water has nowhere to go, the water sits on the floor slab, the wall soaks up the water. Does water collect on bathroom/shower floor and not drain away

The air-conn is the refrigerant pipes in the wall getting cold and condensation forming on the pipes, ie: another form of water damage. This is usually a sign that the gas is low or the indoor condenser unit it dirty, how long since its been cleaned..

Or, a leak/blockage in the water condensation drainage pipe.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pravda said:

Yep.

And it's tiled with hiso marble ????

Check all of the joints carefully. Chances are there is a gap in the grout, and/or the mastic sealant (if any) has been incorrectly applied.

You also need to check the floor tiling in the same way.

There is a very high likelihood this is your problem.

Most new condos have a 2 year warranty period for issues like this.

6 hours ago, Chris.B said:

and the other reason.... you haven't got any money!!  ????

Actually the opposite.

I prefer my money is invested.

Currently it earns more money than the amount I pay in rent for a Sea View condo in Pratumnak.

The other reason is I enjoy Pattaya and Bangkok almost equally. I still have not decided where I will permanently end up.

11 hours ago, alextrat1966 said:

Buying a condo (or any real estate for that matter) is an investment, and one of the best actually. (Obviously you have to carefully study what you're buying - but real estate as a concept is one of the best investments).

Besides, if your money earns monthly only as much as renting a sea view condo is worth.... then you clearly wouldn't have enough to buy a condo. 

Yes, in some locations but not all.

I prefer to have my money work for me and not leave an unwanted condo to my kids when I die.

Edited by PoodThaiMaiDai

9 minutes ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

Yes, in some locations but not all.

I prefer to have my money work for me and not leave an unwanted condo to my kids when I die.

About 5% of condos in Bangkok are acceptable investment. Rest of it is junk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pravda said:

About 5% of condos in Bangkok are acceptable investment. Rest of it is junk.

Isn't the price an important issue? And what people want? And why they buy a condo?

I think it's always interesting when here some people insist buying is a good idea and others insist it is a stupid idea.

We are all not the same and we have different reasons why we buy or rent or whatever we do.

There is not one answer for all of us. Why is this again and again discussed here as if there is just one correct answer?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Isn't the price an important issue? And what people want? And why they buy a condo?

I think it's always interesting when here some people insist buying is a good idea and others insist it is a stupid idea.

We are all not the same and we have different reasons why we buy or rent or whatever we do.

There is not one answer for all of us. Why is this again and again discussed here as if there is just one correct answer?

There is for sure not one correct answer.

But not all of us have read every thread here. 

Some of us are still considered newbies compared to some of the old timers here.

Just ignore the threads you do not like.  Why the hostility.......

5 minutes ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

There is for sure not one correct answer.

But not all of us have read every thread here. 

Some of us are still considered newbies compared to some of the old timers here.

Just ignore the threads you do not like.  Why the hostility.......

I thought this thread is about a one year old condo and water damage. I thought it might be interesting how this turns out. 

But the last couple of "answers" here are again about buying or not buying condos in Thailand and have nothing to do with the original purpose of the thread. 

I also didn't read every thread here. But it seems in many of them people start arguing about buying or not buying. Again and again the same statements is a little boring and useless, at least IHMO.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, warrima said:

Honestly most of the units in our building are like this. Their bathrooms back onto the common corridor - and the walls are just like in your picture. In my own unit (as its a corner one) the bathroom is between the 2 bedrooms. Therefore we had the issue on our bedroom wall. In my case i tracked it down to the built in shower - where the pipes are all buried in the wall with just the shower head sticking out. I ripped it out one day as the head was dripping and they had buried the little flow control valves with the rubber grommets into the wall.  The valve was leaking and soaking the blockwork. Its much better now but the walls are still damp as i suspect some of the joints on the blue pipe they use are weaping. 

Even your aircon photo ive had similar. The condensate pipe was buried in the wall and was leaking into the plasterboard- as yours look like it is. When they serviced it first time they pull the head unit out slightly from the wall. That was enough to dislodge the rubber pipe coming from the head unit out of the blue water pipe they use to send it outside or to the bathroom etc. I eventually moved the head unit to an outside facing wall - which is where it should have been anyway. Then i was able to just run a drain pipe straight outside. 

Fifteen years back a friend bought large new condo in pattaya, 3 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms and seperate toilet room which also contains the washing machine. Water fitted of course over the kitchen sink and over an outside sink area on the balcony. 

He moved in and quickly discovered water was leaking, inside the walls from multiple points.  

Sales agent and owner of the building company highly embarrassed, and the same thing was happening in many units. All still under warranty.

Owner of building company made an offer to replace (but not remove) all the pipes inside the walls with high quality/hi-spec stainless steel water pipes with nice fittings, all visible as a design feature.

They did a good job of making it looks good, friend stayed onsite all day every day and closely monitored the work, insisting (before the work started) that there be progressive testing for leaks. One or two times there were leaks but boss quickly/closley supervisied replacement.

Ultimately no further leaks, then a big job to properly fix the damage to the walls and floors from the initial leaking embedded pipes. 

Then a big project to do the same in all units.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1