Woman goes blind after getting parasite from Thai food - raw prawns blamed

webfact

My first introduction to Issan cooking, or lack of , was at a restaurant at Lam Pao Dam where my wife and her family ate live prawns. 
The lady that sold them took a small scoop of live prawns, ho longer than an inch, stirred them in a bowl with sauces and green shoots and then put them on a large leaf.

They were then scooped up and wrapped in another leaf and eaten.

What amused me were the cats that accompanied the seller, they sat quietly beside the table and if one of the prawns managed to escape that was their snack.

I stuck to the chicken on two sticks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

There is a certain amount of danger from raw or badly cooked food wherever you are.

I have 2 friends where they had problem with their wives and a parasite, about 15 years ago and both in a short time frame.

One got the parasite in the brain and died. The other went blind and had some very expensive operations at Bangkok hospitals. The mother of her husband had recently died in the UK and left him a house but his wife's problem left him bankrupt, literally. The operations however were relatively successful and she slowly regained her sight. They returned to the UK so he could work again and despite the stigma of bankruptcy doing quite well.

I live in Chonburi and those from around here do not eat northern food that includes raw meat or fish. My wife's family will not knowingly eat river fish or shellfish even if it is cooked.

I well recall being warned on my first visit to Thailand (last century) to never eat  the river fish, anywhere in Thailand, warned by a Thai medico.Raw prawns is definite no no for me as well along with rat curry

• Like 2

6 hours ago, law ling said:

1. Yes, as they say: If you read a book on Tropical Medicine, you'd never go near a tropical country.

2. It's very scary visiting up-country and noting what they eat e.g. all sorts of gathered wild food e.g. water snails. I have to ask for some chicken or pork, but even that can be undercooked and bloody.

3. This Christmas just passed, my restaurant's set menu started with a shrimp cocktail - the shrimp were raw inside, and sent back ... but it ruined what should have been a nice lunch.

Answer = Thawd man goong no issues

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I well recall being warned on my first visit to Thailand (last century) to never eat  the river fish, anywhere in Thailand, warned by a Thai medico.Raw prawns is definite no no for me as well along with rat curry

I am with you or that. One of the roads we use going north, can't quite remember where, you pass through a rat district. Stalls all along the road selling them, stomach turns at the thought.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hioctane said:

There is always risk with raw food.

Yes indeed and this is one which my Thai family in Lanna relished - Raw Pig's Blood soup, sometimes served with sliced raw pigs kidney as a side dish. Never for me as they usually ended up with a severe bout of Bangkok Belly!!

RAW PIG BLOOD SOUP AND BUFFALO...POOP! - EXOTIC CHIANG MAI MINISERIES -  EPISODE #3 - YouTube

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, hioctane said:

Relax. 50 cases in 80 years in the whole world! You are a million times more likely to get salmonella from salad. There is always risk with raw food.

Lots of food borne illness in the USA too. Usually from raw vegetables. Not as dramatic as this parasite, but how many have been affected by prions? Big problem a few years ago.