MOPH says enough doses of Sinovac vaccine for small children and no need to procure more

snoop1130

fcc466d385b3d0a4230e8c92413bf56b_small.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - With Sinovac’s inactivated vaccine for COVID-19 now undergoing the Food and Drug Administration’s approval process for use in children aged 3 and older, health authorities are asserting Thailand already has enough doses of the vaccine and no new orders are needed.

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul said there are now 4-6 million doses of the Sinovac vaccine, with a portion of this number being drawn from the 2 million doses donated by the Chinese government. He asserted that the amount is adequate, and the doses will provide parents with the option of choosing an inactivated vaccine for their children over the Pfizer mRNA vaccine.

Addressing criticisms about the planned use of the Sinovac vaccine in young children being an attempt to reduce the existing stock of the vaccine, Mr. Anutin said decisions to use vaccines in children are made by the Department of Disease Control’s sub-committee on promoting disease immunity, which consists of experts who have enough experience to issue advice on the safe usage of vaccines. He called on parents to rest assured about the safety of the Sinovac vaccine in children.

Department of Disease Control Director-General Opas Karnkawinpong said the inoculation of children against COVID-19 is important and he would like parents to take their children to get vaccinated. Dr. Opas explained that Covid infections have been rising in children, and infected children who generally do not suffer severe symptoms may pass the virus onto elderly persons who are vulnerable. He added that children may also suffer from multisystem inflammatory syndrome (MIS-C) where different body parts become inflamed after the child recovers from COVID-19.

The Food and Drug Administration will decide on Friday (4 Feb) whether to approve the use of Sinovac’s and Sinopharm’s vaccines for COVID-19 in children aged 3 years and older.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-02-03

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Well there would be wouldn't there since nobody else really wants it.

Is it actually demonstrated as safe (or particularly effective) for the youngsters?

Our grandkids (teens) got Pfizer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Addressing criticisms about the planned use of the Sinovac vaccine in young children being an attempt to reduce the existing stock of the vaccine

Agree entirely with those criticisms, Sinovac has had its day in Thailand and the left over stock should not be palmed off to the youngest children in the population.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Dr. Opas explained that Covid infections have been rising in children, and infected children who generally do not suffer severe symptoms may pass the virus onto elderly persons who are vulnerable. He added that children may also suffer from multisystem inflammatory syndrome (MIS-C) where different body parts become inflamed after the child recovers from COVID-19.

Bringing MIS-C into this as a reason is highly questionable IMO when he is citing zero credible statistics for this age group with Sinovac benefits to outweigh this. Agree on the possibility of transmission of covid from children to elderly persons but again with Sinovac being used, the least effective vaccine on the market especially against Omicron.

If I had children of this age I would have serious concerns about the motive for this.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul said there are now 4-6 million doses of the Sinovac vaccine,

'They are left over  from my last shipment and nobody wanted them.  They are free but hospitals must collect them personally as my wife wants her fridge back.'

• Haha 1

I doubt many parents will want their children vaccinated with Sinovac.

Pfeizer is hard enough.

I Know my wife agreed to Pfeizer, but no way to Sinovac for our daughter who's 7.  

I think that's the sentiment in most Thai households.

They better do it fast, the 1.5 million doses they have in storage is already 5 months old.  Shelf life is 6 months. 

Storage in Thailand is questionable in Thailand at best.  

10 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I doubt many parents will want their children vaccinated with Sinovac.

Pfeizer is hard enough.

I Know my wife agreed to Pfeizer, but no way to Sinovac for our daughter who's 7.  

I think that's the sentiment in most Thai households.

They better do it fast, the 1.5 million doses they have in storage is already 5 months old.  Shelf life is 6 months. 

Storage in Thailand is questionable in Thailand at best.  

You don’t speak for most Thai households and your long crusade against Sinovac is testament to that.

it’s been proven to be safe and effective and as kids really aren’t at risk from covid,’it makes sense to vaccinate them with a milder vaccine based on proven technology. 

• Sad 1

On 2/4/2022 at 9:02 PM, FridgeMagnet1 said:

t’s been proven to be safe and effective and as kids really aren’t at risk from covid,’it makes sense to vaccinate them with a milder vaccine based on proven technology. 

Not sure how you make the determination it is a 'milder' vaccine. 

I fear that we have not seen the full evaluation data and it did appear there were side effects similar to Pfizer, AZ etc, that might concern people when used in children.