Which snake is this?

Hello,

Could someone please tell me which snake this is between my salad? Is it poisonous or not? My Thai in-laws say it is very dangerous and that it has to die but I’m not so convinced. From googling on the internet it looks like a banded kukri snake to me. Anyway, thanks in advance for your answer(s). 

9219C807-3FA5-41FE-A63F-B747C2E520B6.jpeg

15 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Photo's too far away to be 100% sure.

Really?  What else might it be?

I'm not a snake expert.  I'm not saying you're wrong or trying to start a debate.  Just curious what poisonous snake might look like a Kukri from a distance.  To me the triangular bands on the back look prominent enough to feel safe, but it's what you don't know that kills you...

Thanks...

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Now it's had its neck broken does it matter?

Looks like an ex kukri. Harmless.

7783163348_1fd8c8d5ca_b-khao-yai-banded-kukri-snake-bernard-dupont.jpg

Take no notice of this folks, it's a file photo. The clue's in the bottom RH corner. But, none the less it probably is a Banded Kukri, they come in a wide variety of markings.

• Thanks 1

Over the past 10 years my dogs have become snake experts, they attack and kill harmless snakes, and will bark and howl at the poisonous ones, then it's time for me to come out with whatever garden tool is nearest the front door and help them.  To be fair there was a bit of a learning curve, and my dogs have been bit a couple of times in the face and earned a visit to the vet afterwards. 

In my area the green snakes are harmless and the black & brown ones are dangerous.

Edited by bbko
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Strange post.  Of course it's a file photo. Believe it or not I don't keep a suuply of live snakes around to photograph.  The OP's photo is a bit distant and needs to be expanded to try and get a good look at the snake. 

Sorry I figured that you may be suggesting that the O/P or his family had finished it off.

25 minutes ago, InspectorRex said:

Much prefer the snake had lived.

So do I.

I know this is off topic but what the heck?

Author who has penned a first-hand account of his 20 years as a vet says Britain’s deadliest animal is the horse - capable of biting, crushing and head-butting

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bbko said:

Over the past 10 years my dogs have become snake experts, they attack and kill harmless snakes, and will bark and howl at the poisonous ones, then it's time for me to come out with whatever garden tool is nearest the front door and help them.  To be fair there was a bit of a learning curve, and my dogs have been bit a couple of times in the face and earned a visit to the vet afterwards. 

In my area the green snakes are harmless and the black & brown ones are dangerous.

So you let your dogs savage and kill Thai wildlife..

3 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

So you let your dogs savage and kill Thai wildlife..

To make the leap from snakes to Thai wildlife is a bit of a stretch, I'm don't proclaim to be a snake expert so rather than trying to figure out if the snake is poisonous or not in the few seconds I have (those suckers are quick), I'll error on the side of family & dog safety every time. My dogs have killed rats, mice, squirrels, frogs, mother nature is savage like that.  They live outside in the garden 24/7 to protect my home, and they do a good job at it. 

When it comes to other wildlife that I know is harmless and if I catch them in time, I'll pull my dogs off, every so often I'll get a hia/water monitor lizard in my garden and my dogs will fight it, but I will rescue the stray hia and set it outside my garden walls.

Are you one of those squeamish types that rescues mice, roaches, mosquitos?  (Nice leap eh? 555) 

1 minute ago, bbko said:

To make the leap from snakes to Thai wildlife is a bit of a stretch, I'm don't proclaim to be a snake expert so rather than trying to figure out if the snake is poisonous or not in the few seconds I have (those suckers are quick), I'll error on the side of family & dog safety every time. My dogs have killed rats, mice, squirrels, frogs, mother nature is savage like that.  They live outside in the garden 24/7 to protect my home, and they do a good job at it. 

When it comes to other wildlife that I know is harmless and if I catch them in time, I'll pull my dogs off, every so often I'll get a hia/water monitor lizard in my garden and my dogs will fight it, but I will rescue the stray hia and set it outside my garden walls.

Are you one of those squeamish types that rescues mice, roaches, mosquitos?  (Nice leap eh? 555) 

Snakes are an important part of the local ecosystem. Your dogs are not.

8 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Snakes are an important part of the local ecosystem. Your dogs are not.

My dogs live within my garden walls 24/7 and have been for the past 10 years, and have every right to defend against any person/animal/rodent/insect that comes within it.  If you're a bleeding heart type, so be it, just don't cry when animals do what comes naturally to them, savage as it may seem. It's not like I trained them and then go out of my garden walls to hunt/kill snakes.  I never said snakes aren't important to the local ecosystem, your tendency to take drastic leaps from one point of view to another is comical, thanks for the chuckles.

13 minutes ago, bbko said:

My dogs live within my garden walls 24/7 and have been for the past 10 years, and have every right to defend against any person/animal/rodent/insect that comes within it.  If you're a bleeding heart type, so be it, just don't cry when animals do what comes naturally to them, savage as it may seem. It's not like I trained them and then go out of my garden walls to hunt/kill snakes.  I never said snakes aren't important to the local ecosystem, your tendency to take drastic leaps from one point of view to another is comical, thanks for the chuckles.

You use your dogs to kill animals in their local habit. Actions speak louder than words. Sorry but I find your actions arrogant and your comments  about 'my dogs  have a right to  defend  themselves' ludicrous.  Your dogs have no rights and arguably shouldn't even be there. There are whole programs available  for removing and protecting  species including educational  programs you might benefit  from

38 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You use your dogs to kill animals in their local habit. Actions speak louder than words. Sorry but I find your actions arrogant and your comments  about 'my dogs  have a right to  defend  themselves' ludicrous.  Your dogs have no rights and arguably shouldn't even be there. There are whole programs available  for removing and protecting  species including educational  programs you might benefit  from

????????????

"Your dogs have no rights and arguably shouldn't even be there."  And snakes do?? 555

My house, garden, garden walls and dogs have been in place for the past 11 years, so you can take your "educational programs" and try and sell them to some other sucker.

You must live in a condo and have no idea what those of us that live in a "real" Thai home with large gardens have to deal with 24/7.

Edited by bbko